Vic 2013 Xmas in July Swap - Recipe thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yob

Hop to it
Reaction score
This is a discussion thread for the swap day activities, can (and has) get/got lost in the other thread pretty easy.. I think it's time we got a recipe sorted of some sort and some firm numbers so we can sort out what we have / need.

the last votes I could find for swap day brewing recipe was...

1. Stout (dry, milk, imperial......??) (Yob, meathead, technobabble66, Charst)
2. Robust porter
3. Altbier
4. Doppelbock (manticle, breakbeer)
5. Big Belgian
6. German or Czech lager of sorts
7. APA/AIPA
8. Wee Heavy
from >HERE<

is voting completed? does this intone a stout of some kind? RIS?

Cubes:

1: Yob

Equipment providers.

1: Yob: 9kg Gas bottle, 3 Ring with Med pressure reg. (borrowing) CM2's extended keggle

Recipe.

I can bring a spit roaster that holds 5kg and or a weber kettle
Also can bring a BIAB set up
Plus a cube

how big is the BIAB setup? I suspect there will be a need for double/tripel systems. it's whay I havnt included my MT as it's only a single batch system... doubles can be pushed out of it but too much of a PITA for a swap day.

66% have voted for Stout. Sounds like a winner!
Though that may change after the remaining 20 attendees could cast their vote...

If it's a stout, how is a recipe proposed? Just write one up, or select one from the Recipe DB.

If it's from the DB, i'd be tempted w 3 Shades of Stout, 4 Shades of Stout (DrSmurto's version), or Screwy's Choc Treacle Stout. However, i've never brewed a stout (though v keen too; that's why i voted for it) so i'd happily defer to the more experienced brewers for their recommended recipes.
I obviously favour a dry stout.

2c

If history is anything to go by… all recipes in theory, rarely make it to reality on swap day.

Bringing your catchers mit won't hurt either.

I vote oatmeal or milk stout..

I can bring something if needed, maybe grain mill or something? I haven't been to a swap before so don't know how it goes.

I have a small spit roaster & a 4 burner bbq, so might take up meatheads offer of an extra spit roaster.

Also have a 70L electric BIAB setup which we could do a double batch on (will be my first double batch on it though.) My lil brown pump just shat itself so if I haven't replaced it with a Kaixin by then I may need someone to bring a pump. There's a drill powered grain mill here too so no need to BYO

Grain that I have in stock includes: Ale Malt, Wheat, Pilsner, Carapils, Crystal & small amounts of Pale Choc, Midnight Wheat, Munich, Vienna & Acidulated

I'm not a massive fan of Stout but if that's what the majority want to brew then that's what we'll brew. A few guys at work drink Stout exclusively so I'll probably still get a cube & give most of it away once it's done

The only reason I have voted to the stout is because I had a magnificent oatmeal stout last week and I haven't brewed any myself. I don't have big stocks but have some golden promise, malted wheat, roasted barley, oats :)

Got a reasonable stout grist that can be turned to oatmeal or cream very easily.

Will hunt it up and see what people think (finishing ferment on one now and I reckon it does the trick). Happy to donate equipment, malt, hops and brewing time.

Post 4708 here: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/40767-what-are-you-brewing-iii/page-236

I used all challenger as I had run out of EKG but it's not hop driven so either/or. The cold steeping can be started just before the main mash.
If we want to make it oatmeal, I suggest 500g of simpsons golden naked, crushed and lightly toasted. 500g is for the single batch recipe so obviously it gets scaled up to whatever size we are brewing.

500g lactose to make it a cream/milk stout.

I vote oatmeal stout.

i have 250g of naked oats and 10kgs on Mariss otter Im happy to chuck in.

I have a 50L SS pot. 50L Keggle and a Celler plus burner and adjustable reg that cooks the shit of my old three ring.

Packing the lot if necessary.

Are they on the grid in Cockatoo? (still dont know how to do emoticons but if I did insert ironic one here)

BB is running electric and when I went to his place I didn't hear a generator so I am guessing that he is on the grid (insert baffled and ignorant to your sarcasm remark emoticon here)

Well yeah ok, but can multiple 10a circuits be run? Do we need to bring extension cords to get to a separate circuit? Will it be easier to run 1 electric and 1 gas rig?

Charst said:
I have a 50L SS pot. 50L Keggle and a Celler plus burner and adjustable reg that cooks the shit of my old three ring.
Looks like I will be borrowing CM2's keggle and a half, I think we can get a double or more out of that.

we really need to finalise numbers for cubes so we can work out what size 2nd system we need, sounds like we can get 2 maybe 2.5 cubes from breakbeers system?

that being the case we still need a system that can do 2 to 3 cubes.

Cubes:

1: breakbeer
2: Yob
3: Manticle
4: Meathead ?

Please firm these number up folks, we cant forulate the recipe really until we can sort this out.

I've got a 10L cube i'd be v keen to fill w an oatmeal stout.
However, if numbers are tight/excessive i'm quite happy to pass & focus on watching & learning; and let the main contributors of the day score the stout.
Also, i've got no gear or grain to contribute, only some hops which may not be the right ones for a stout. Happy to contribute some $'s towards ingredient costs, obviously.

Is that how this works, & is that what you're asking about Yob?? (apologies for my noobness in all this!)

If so,

Cubes:

1: breakbeer
2: Yob
3: Manticle
4: Meathead ?
5. technobabble66 (10L)

Latest posts

Back