Vic 2013 Xmas in July Swap - Recipe thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, Cockatoo is on the grid, still no postie though.

When I run both elements (boil) I run an extension chord to another circuit so I don't trip them. I guess the other system should be gas fired, just in case. I reckon you'll get 2 cubes outta mine.

I'm watching a 110l esky at the moment, if the sale goes through, will make a FB for it and will bring that to the swap day for the MT of the second system, perhaps bring the HERMS pot as well? perhaps not as it would need a second 10a circut... MT will work well enough as infusion though if we get no better options

:)

ed: multiple ed's

Oatmeal stout for me. Wasn't a big stout fan until I went to the spectapular this year. The Oatmeal was damn tasty as was a coffee stout I had.
Save me trawling through the other topic what time does this event kick off?
I have 3 x 17l cubes from ex G&G fresh wort kits if anyone else wants one.

Cubes:

1: breakbeer
2: Yob
3: Manticle
4: Meathead ?
5. technobabble66 (10L)
6. Damn

No Cube for me thanks - I will be happy to just watch and learn from more experienced brewers going about the brewing process.

So brew what ever the cube takers want - dont see that my vote should count. (if it did i would vote for the Doppelbock, purely because I dont know much about this style and would be keen to see how something a bit 'different' is brewed).

Cubes:

5. technobabble66 (10L)
6. Damn
7: Charst

i do have an abundance of EKG pellets, i'd say at least 500g, other than that i can't offer much but i can offer some cash, any chance i'd be able to get in on this to fill a 17ltr ex fresh wort cube?

I've got almost untouched half pounds (about 200+g) of Appollo, Nugget, Willamette and CTZ that i went crazy and bought (in the pre Hopdealz days) when Nikobrew had a special and it seemed like a good idea at the time.

At the rate I brew I am never going to use them all - so if they are of benefit to the recipe of the day I am happy to throw them in.

By the looks of it we'll be brewing an Oatmeal Stout, anyone got a tried & true recipe?

breakbeer said:
By the looks of it we'll be brewing an Oatmeal Stout, anyone got a tried & true recipe?

Oatmeal stout sounds good I can bring more naked oats if needed and some MO.

I have 2/3 of a stainless drum (approx 130L), a 32 jet Mongolian, gas bottle and stand to put it on.
It's probably a bit low so some bricks to lift up to cube height might be the go.

Whats the go do we do multiple mashes and multiple boils and try to get them reasonably close to each other?

Cubes:

5. technobabble66 (10L)
6. Damn
7: Charst
8: Whiteferret (17L)

Posted my suggested recipe on page 1. Add toasted golden naked oats.
Delicious.

Not that there's any other suggestions so far, but happy to go with manticle's recipe if he claims it's that good. Any other contenders??
Manticle, are you happy to post your recipe?

FWIW, i've just acquired a 40L esky if that would help in the Big Mash Up. Not mod'd in any way, so maybe it'll be better for BIAB dunk sparging.

How much volume can we be practically doing in one arvo, based on other's previous experience with these things?

I've just acquired an 80l esky but still need to make a manifold for the bottom, will be a bit or a build...

Looking at the numbers we still need a big kettle, the one offered above isn't quite big enough methinks..

Single Mash and Split boil yob if you can get your esky up and running?
im new to 3V, (im actually 2V no sparging at the moment), will an 80 litre tun be enough to output the about 150L of wort we need?

maybe not mate... it's tricky any way you look at it.. splitting the boil is a PITA and a lot more equipment.. refilling 2 x HLT's etc... too much feckin about for a swap day with untested patchwork equipment IMO.. will still be aiming to have the MT constructed and will bring if needed... a single BIG MT and kettle is the way to go and you could Fly Sparge till you get to volume... 25kg grain bill, ~78 lt mash and fly all the way out... but you'd still need a massive HLT (or 2) and big arse kettle.. I believe we will be restricted to gas fired system/s as well making it more awkward.. if you follow..

Cubes:

2: Manticle
3: Meathead ?
4. technobabble66 (10L)
5. Damn
6: Charst
7: Whiteferret (17L)

So assuming we all agree on the recipe, do those that want a cube of wart bring their own ingredients or does someone buy in bulk and we chip in?

Next step is scale the recipe up, similar to the swap, contributors put their name against what they can bring and everything sorts itself out, though I've pulled out of a cube, will keep an eye on this and if I can contribute I will be happy to do so. That includes whatever equipment that is needed and I can build in time, beg, borrow

Just to save rummaging arnd threads, here is manticle's recipe:

"...
I've done it with 1099 (whitbred). 04 is meant to be equivalent to 1098 and also a the whitbred strain. Based on that, you should get a tasty beer.

Weekend brew

Type: All grain Size: 22 liters
Color: 114 HCU (~38 SRM)
Bitterness: 35 IBU
OG: 1.059
FG: 1.016
Alcohol: 5.5% v/v (4.3% w/w)

Grain:
5kg Maris
100g aromatic
150g biscuit
150g Mixed crystal (simpsons light, med and dark) 90L
250g TF pale chocolate
100g Simpsons black patent
200g Roasted barley

Mash: 70% efficiency
Boil: 90 minutes SG 1.040 32 liters

Hops:
25g Kent Goldings (4.5% AA, 60 min.)
25g Challenger (6.5% AA, 60 min.)
10g Kent Goldings (aroma)
10g Challenger (aroma)

55/62/67/72/78
5/10/45/10/10

WY 1099

Cal Chloride.

Cold steep cracked roast grains overnight and add to last 10 mins of mash ...

... I used all challenger as I had run out of EKG but it's not hop driven so either/or. The cold steeping can be started just before the main mash.
If we want to make it oatmeal, I suggest 500g of simpsons golden naked, crushed and lightly toasted. 500g is for the single batch recipe so obviously it gets scaled up to whatever size we are brewing.

500g lactose to make it a cream/milk stout. "

FWIW, I can supply 500g biscuit, 80g EKG, & other US hops if needed. The rest I can either buy or donate cash.
I vote for a dry stout, if that counts. Ie: no lactose (unless manticle reckons its much better, of course!)

Manticle, does this work well w US hops? - I've never brewed a stout, let alone alone w US hops.

It's not hop driven so unless people want a us stout (in which case we add some late additions) I'd suggest staying with uk hops.
No need for lactose unless making it into a cream stout.
This finishes thick and full without any oats or lactose so if people want dry, we'll need to alter the beta vs alpha times or just go low end single infusion.

Back