Vic. July 2015 Case Swap Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinOC

Insert something suitably witty here
Reaction score
Post-up your whiney-arsed opinions of the labours of your fellow swappers here.

I've had a bit of a guess at a suggested sampling-order based on comments on the original thread. I've had to make a few assumptions & welcome input from those who haven't given ageing suggestions so we can get the beers being sampled at their best (according to the brewer). Cut/Paste the list below & put your beers where you reckon they should be. If you reckon I've got something wrong, change it!

Drink Now:

1. Idzy - "The Repeat Offender" Rye IPA - Bottled/kegged - Delightful
2. DJ_L3tHAL - American IPA - Drink NOW!
7. mofox1 - American Brown - Drink NOW
15. Droid - fURQnELL lager/pils - drink now
21. Navarau Dark Porter - Bottled 3/5/15 Drink Now. Thought it was a Dark Porter but I'm not sure now after chatting on the weekend.
22. Damn - American Brown: Labelled #043 JBROWN 04-15 Ready

Late July:

17. AJ80 - Fake blonde? Nope, fake Brett - drink after 22 July.
9. Curly79. APA with home grown Victoria hops. 2nd ever BIAB. Fingers crossed. Bottled 28/6/2015

August:

8. Tahoose- English Bitter, drink in August.
4. Nullnvoid - ByGeRu Pale Ale (Little Creatures clone) - Drink after early August. Was only bottled a week before the swap.

September:

12. MartinOC - Sassenach Scotch Ale (approx. 5% ABV. Bottled 30/6/15). Give it a couple of months to carb-up & mellow-out.
11. Midnight Brew - The Explorer (Dark Ale III) American Brown - DRINK NOW or age for 3-6 months malty complexity
19. JB - Slaughter Robust Porter - (6.5%, 50 IBU) bottled 3/7/15 - This one will need some ageing, early samples were ****ing BITTER!, so leave til late September, preferably later to give it a chance to smooth out

TBA:

5. Brewnut - Jaggery IPA
3. Yob - Belgian Pale Ale.. well.. sort of.. maybe too hoppy for a "style Nazi" but hay, wadda-ya-expect from me? Bottled a few days before the Swap, will need time
13. Whiteferret - Oaty Stout Bottled 1/7/15
14. Grainer - Californian White IPA

Edit: PS- Since I've got multiples of everything except B&T's RIS (#16 - I gave my bottle to to Droid so he's got the full suite), I'm going to provide samples to my old man & ask for his feedback too.

Post-up your whiney-arsed opinions of the labours of your fellow swappers here.

I've had a bit of a guess at a suggested sampling-order based on comments on the original thread. I've had to make a few assumptions & welcome input from those who haven't given ageing suggestions so we can get the beers being sampled at their best (according to the brewer). Cut/Paste the list below & put your beers where you reckon they should be. If you reckon I've got something wrong, change it!

Drink Now:

21. Navarau Dark Porter - Bottled 3/5/15 Drink Now. Thought it was a Dark Porter but I'm not sure now after chatting on the weekend.
14. Grainer - Californian Tropical Orangy-White IPA

Late July:

9. Curly79. APA with home grown Victoria hops. 2nd ever BIAB. Fingers crossed. Bottled 28/6/2015

August:

4. Nullnvoid - ByGeRu Pale Ale (Little Creatures clone) - Drink after early August. Was only bottled a week before the swap.

September:

12. MartinOC - Sassenach Scotch Ale (approx. 5% ABV. Bottled 30/6/15). Give it a couple of months to carb-up & mellow-out.
11. Midnight Brew - The Explorer (Dark Ale III) American Brown - DRINK NOW or age for 3-6 months malty complexity
19. JB - Slaughter Robust Porter - (6.5%, 50 IBU) bottled 3/7/15 - This one will need some ageing, early samples were ****ing BITTER!, so leave til late September, preferably later to give it a chance to smooth out

TBA:

5. Brewnut - Jaggery IPA
3. Yob - Belgian Pale Ale.. well.. sort of.. maybe too hoppy for a "style Nazi" but hay, wadda-ya-expect from me? Bottled a few days before the Swap, will need time

Edit: PS- Since I've got multiples of everything except B&T's RIS (#16 - I gave my bottle to to Droid so he's got the full suite), I'm going to provide samples to my old man & ask for his feedback too.

yes thanks Martin even though we nearly came to fisty-cuffs over it at the time, arguing about gifting and accepting, deserving etc etc, I think camo was there it was quite funny, almost like the two Ronnies, "No I want you to take it" "yes but I saw you accept it and I could see you were so happy to get it" " yes but I am giving it to you because blah blah" "no I am happy with what I have, you keep it" hehe

the only thing I would say with the tasting is, have the fURQnELL at the beginning of a sitting otherwise you won't be able to taste it after the other gear

Not sure what happened there. Thought I provided enough but apparently not. Sorry guys. Martin I will keep one for you and give it to you at Xmas swap.

Damn, great beer. Awesomely sessionable malt character with a nice citrusy nose. Carbonation is perfect. As I get to the bottom of the glass I get that lovely American hop profile of fruity with hints of dank. Really hit the spot for me body wise.

Sorry for the shit description. Had a shit day and really appreciate your brew. Thanks for sharing! :icon_cheers:

Drink Now:

Late July:

August:

September:

December:

16. Black n Tan. RIS. This was bottled March but needs plenty more time to mellow. If you wait until December or later that would be best.

TBA:

5. Brewnut - Jaggery IPA

Okay, it's been a bit busy at work and I've found a smorgasbord of tasty beers when I come home... don't judge me!

Tasty brew dude... And so freaking clear! I haven't had the namesake but this was crisp, had a pleasing bitterness, and a rather forward grainy character that I couldn't work out whether it was actually from the grain or just the hops messing with me. None the less, a delightful start the the swap beers of Jul-15!

One L3thAL sucker punch - first there's the feint with the hop aroma, drawing you in. You take that sip, and BANG - citrus and pine come through, hint of something more like manderine scent. Split second later the hop bitterness kicks in and KO - first round knockout! Seriously, huge hops in the flavour and back end here, probably too bitter for a session IPA, but when you've only got the one....

Light Brown porter perhaps? Still - plenty of nutty and chocolate flavour, roasty (ashy?) nose, clean neutral hop bite, and a "playful" (yes - I said playful) fruity dry finish. More? :drinks:

Stay tuned. As I said, busy week! :D

FWIW, here's the feedback from my old man so far (the man that bought me my first pint of hand-pumped Adnams at the age of 14 :blink: ). He's no judge, but has a good palate & has just given them scores out of 10 for overall impression/drinkability :

1. Idzy's Rye IPA - 7/10
2. DJ's AIPA - 6/10
22. Damn's American Brown - 8/10

More to follow...

Im far from a judge myself so might run with the "out of ten" option too. I just tried 14. Grainers Californian white IPA. Very nice mate. 7/10.

15. Droid - fURQnELL lager/pils

Clean, crisp and refreshing. Very well brewed Droid - lagers like this are a real challenge as there's nowhere to hide a fault. Bitterness is right and there's just a touch of malt sweetness. Lovely bready aroma. Enjoyable drop and come summer a beer like this could be dangerous...

20150708_191837_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Well carbed Nath, laces beautifully. Deep honey colour, enticing US hop aromas, mmmmmm ... flavour is really well balanced for my tastes. Good hop flavour against the malty - honey? sweetness, finishes with that IPA bitterness. You've well hidden the ABV, I'd want to drink these all night. Cheers!

Thanks mate, glad you liked it. No honey in there, its the caramunich I'm pretty sure. Got 4% in there :)

2: DJ Lethal. American IPA. Nice and dark. Truckloads of hop flavour without being over the top. Very very nice. 8/10 from me. [emoji106]

Pours a nice dark chestnut brown. Aroma is rich roasty awesomeness. Nutty & toasty maltiness followed with sweet & smooth toffee. Absolutely magnificent Brown Ale!

20150710_183636.jpg

2. DJ_L3tHAL - American IPA

Awesome amber colour and great fruity aroma. Firm bitterness which I'm really enjoying with the touch of malt sweetness left behind. The ABV is well hidden in this one mate. A very tasty brew. Excellent drop.

7. mofox1 - American Brown

Beautiful toasty, bready, rich and cookie like aroma followed by those exact notes in the flavour. Awesome beer mate! I love how malt forward it is with the citrus and fruity aroma of the hops. You've really tied this beer together well. Thanks for sharing.

Oh and recipe please.

Drink Now:

Late July:

August:

5. Brewnut - Jaggery IPA - Drink early August

September:

December:

16. Black n Tan. RIS. This was bottled March but needs plenty more time to mellow. If you wait until December or later that would be best.

TBA:

15. Droid - fURQnELL lager/pils: Ferken Hell....this Fricken Urquell, is better than a commercial. Loved it before the footy on thurs night. I'm coming around to appreciating clarity of beer and this one is sterling.

Then on to the IPA's. Both of these were magnificent. I dream of getting near these. Thanks fella's.

1. Idzy - "The Repeat Offender" Rye IPA : Very smooth, easy drinking (well aged?) opposite of what I'd call dirty.
2. DJ_L3tHAL - American IPA - Drink NOW! Classic US style, again went down with ease.

Back