VIC. 2015 Xmas in July - Recipe.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinOC

Insert something suitably witty here
Reaction score
Probably a good idea to get the ball rolling on this one, since we're all probably overdue for another grain BB as well...HINT to those with contacts...!

Since this is to be a "Bummock" (old Scottish term for a Strong Scotch Ale etc..etc..), it seems appropriate that the brew be a Scotch Ale.

I've loaned Yob the Classic Series book on Scotch Ales (Noonan), so I'm guessing he's currently got some wild ideas gestating as I type (as is his wont)... :D

Thoughts?

Let's sacrifice a scotchman into the boil at 15 minutes!

PS. I REALLY like the Grand Ridge Moonshine and Supershine scotch ales, they're full o' plum, chocolate and are down right indulgence!

Dessert Beers

MOONSHINE 8.5%
Extra strong pure malt beer in the style of scotch ale or barley wine. Brewed from a wort having an original gravity of 1080. A true connoisseur’s beer, best sipped after dinner not too cold. Expect deep, warm and rich malt flavours. The winner of highest scoring dark ale at the Australian and International Beer Awards 2001 and also a previous winner of Australia’s best Dark Ale at The National Festival of Beers. Winner of the Premiers trophy for best Victorian beer in 2002 and also Worlds Best Specialty Beer at the 2002 Australian and International beer awards along with years of International medals. Enjoy with a lover and chocolates of the highest calibre. Gold medalist 2004. Dual Silver medalist 2005 and more in 2006-2011 with 2 medals in 2011 for both bottled and draught products. Think sticky date pudding, mud cake, oysters or reduce and pour over rich vanilla ice cream.

SUPERSHINE 11%
The Grandfather of Moonshine. This silky smooth scotch ale is believed to be the strongest bottled beer from Australia. Intense, yet beautifully smooth malt flavours will awaken the taste buds and delight the lovers of rich smooth dark ales and barley wines alike. Winner of 9 International medals including best of class trophy in 2003 and GOLD in 2004. 2005 brought dual gold, the premier’s trophy and best in class in the world. This has been followed by more medals in 2006-2010 again. Best enjoyed as the finale after tasting the full range of Grand Ridge pure beers. Excellent with rich plum puddings, mud cake and burnt caramel sauce. Please be careful when tasting the full range or drinking the stronger beers not to drive at all.

MartinOC said:
Probably a good idea to get the ball rolling on this one, since we're all probably overdue for another grain BB as well...HINT to those with contacts...!

Since this is to be a "Bummock" (old Scottish term for a Strong Scotch Ale etc..etc..), it seems appropriate that the brew be a Scotch Ale.

I've loaned Yob the Classic Series book on Scotch Ales (Noonan), so I'm guessing he's currently got some wild ideas gestating as I type (as is his wont)... :D

Thoughts?
Sorry, not much help, just finished God is proof god loves us, half way through the Stone Book currently.. good news is that it's next in line.

Was only thinking about a recipe for this the other day, was thinking a Wee Heavy or the ilk, but I guess it will depend (again) on the equipment we can get on site.

*side. I checked up on the GWR thing today and it says "In Progress" which it has since I put it in.. will try to stir them up. There is a "Fast Track" but Im unwilling to part with the 450 quid for it ;)

OK, Full Pint bulk buy is on. Be good if we can solidify something. Wee Heavy? I don't have any tried recipes to offer up but perhaps someone does. I'm happy to get a sack of Golden Promise in the BB towards the effort. I also have a crapload of Simpson's medium crystal I can contribute, and definitely others that might be appropriate as well, but I'd have to have a look at inventory.

Hey, what about those Core Brewing Concepts bulk buys??? :ph34r:

Sorry, guys. 'Been out of the loop for awhile..(& will be all this week).

'Not a great fan of Moonshine ever since Bill Best stopped being the brewer at Grand Ridge (he used to drink it for breakfast!). Not to say we can't do a darker Scotch Ale (I've got a multi-award-winning recipe if folks would like me to post it up for discussion?).

Mostly, Scotch Ales are a simple mix of pale & amber with a shitload of kettle caramelisation of the first-runnings for complexity, but adding a mixture of other grains could achieve the same/similar result.

FP has a Bulk-Buy going? Hmmm... I think I'd prefer to get involved in a full-blown AHB BB if one was to be arranged (Grainer???). No disrespect intended to FP, but the choice of specialties is often limited & the boys at FP take the bulk of the split-spots anyway.

Well the Grand Ridge ones are the only scotch ales I've tried, so yeah happy to follow the guide of you more experienced scotch ale'rs!

FP will let us arrange our own splits, so that's another option than going a whole hog separate bulk buy? Suppose we need a recipe to ascertain what the grist is, post yours up Martin! :)

Ps. I've got a 70L kettle and Italian spiral that could be used as the caramelisation boil down pot? Or is that way too small?

OK, Mardoo. With such subtle & subdued cajoling, how could I not aquiesce to your request.... :p

Soooo many folks have asked me for this recipe (& variations thereof), that I'm just cutting/pasting from previous PM's. Anyone who was involved in the last winter swap at Yob's place will probably remember my 6.5% Porter, which was a "tamed-down" version of this little puppy:

Y2K (Caledonian Porter from Hell....!!!)

15Kg Pale Malt (Maltco I think?) (80%)
1Kg Amber Malt (5%)
740g Crystal (60 EBC) (4%)
500g Wheat Malt (3%)
380g Roast Barley (2%)
300g Chocolate Malt (all I had laying around at the time) (2%)
500g Malt-Dextrin powder (added during the boil) (4%). I'd be inclined to cut-back on the Malto-Dextrin powder (maybe 300-400g), but the full 500g worked, so if it ain't broke.......

Water Treatment (I'd guess about 35l):

2tsp Calcium Sulphate
1tsp Magnesium Sulphate
1tsp Sodium Chloride (Non-iodised table salt)

Mash-in @ 69C. Temp decreased from 69C to 61C over 2 hours (no insulation, no electronic temp. control, no pump etc. In those days, I was using gravity only).
Mash-out @75C.

Boil the absolute crap out of the first few litres of runnings to caramelise, then continue to run-off until SG 1010.

Total boil time - 90 mins.

100g Tettnanger pellets (5.5%) for 75 mins
60g Tettnanger pellets (5.5%) for 15 mins
Tettnanger was all I had laying around at the time.
Low to mid 30's IBU (This was before the days of brewing software to work things out & besides, I literally threw this thing together on-the-fly at a VERY, VERY pissy WortHogs brewday I hosted in September 1998).

Fermentation:
OG 1092 (no idea of the final volume-didn't keep good notes!)
Peet's Irish Ale yeast. This was dumped straight onto the yeast cake from a double batch of "standard" gravity version of the same beer (OG 1042) that I kegged on the same brew-day in order to free-up the fermenter & use the yeast.
Primary fermentation 1 week @ ~20C.
Secondary fermentation 6 weeks @ ~4C.
FG 1020-1025(?)
ABV: Somewhere~ 9.5%-10%

I used the Peet's Irish, 'cos it was what I had plenty of from the previous fermentation & needed something potentially able to ferment small titanium alloy blocks (that stuff was an absolute BEAST!). I think Wyeast 1084 is the same strain. Anything alcohol-tolerant, cold-tolerant & a clean fermenter will do. Scotch Ales aren't fruity.

I was seconded to Canberra for 6 weeks & didn't want to leave it in the primary, so I racked it (still very actively fermenting) into a 45L keg & chucked it in my ice-cream fridge @ 4C until I got back.

It was brewed in September 1998 & was still going @ 4C well into the new year. I just kept letting-off the pressure (& taking samples, of course!) each week until fermentation started to abate, then let it self-carbonate in the keg & then counter-pressure filled it into bottles around mid-Feb. 1999. At that stage it was still definitely "green".

It took a good year to start coming good & won it's first prize (3rd in Vicbrew '99) as an English Strong Ale. In 2001 it won a 1st at AABC as a Scotch Ale & was still winning prizes for the next few years (including an international 3rd in a Tri-Nations Comp.). It took 8+ years for it to start to drop-off. This is definitely one to put in bottles & store them away for a year (OK, 6 months if you can't wait!) before even bothering to sample.

I called it "Y2K" because it wasn't intended for consumption before the new millennium (NOT, as some suggested, that it would be so badly infected that it would require "de-bugging"!!).

I don't have any input on recipe as I'm happy to go with the flow.

Equipment offers are more for the swap thread, but I'm happy to bring a burner-gas-140ltr pot -120 ltr mash tun if needed.

Also I think it would be wise to knuckle down a recipe in the next couple of weeks, utilise the grain bulk buy and then spilt the final $$ amount between the cubers.

I'd offer to pick up the grain except I'm worried I don't have the space.

Base malt we can probably get at trade.

Spec malts need to be sourced independent of the base (scale recipe?)

Which begs the question will all the systems be brewing the same wort? Seems kind of cool to me that they do, that will push the literage perhaps north of 1000.

What say the bringers of the war machines?

Idzy's got a "new" MLT that he reckons will hold ~200Kg of grain & his "old" (pissy-little one :blink: ) will hold approx. 70Kg.

Using Yob's thumb, I reckon 200Kg into 450L would get us into the 1090's. We could always stretch it out to fill Idzy's (600L?) boiler, but that obviously means a lower OG, but more volume.

If we were to cut the first-runnings short at about 1040-1050 & use them for an absolute ball-tearer wee-heavy, the second runnings could be used to start a second mash in the smaller mash tun whilst the first is boiling.

Then we whirlpool/cube the first runnings batch & dump the second mash-runnings onto the "spent" hops (typical historical Scottish brewing practice) & get a second beer out of it (assume about 10-13% utilisation from the "spent" hops).

Obviously, that means more overall output volume, but then the question arises of "who gets what?". Both would be extremely passable beers.

It also means a much longer brew-day for all involved & I don't want this to turn into a chore (this is meant to be FUN!) just to try to produce a huge volume on the day.

Mardoo, I was kinda hoping to use my own rig to concurrently run-through different multiple batches (back to back) for variety, that add to the total day's volume. Just for shits & giggles (I've got my HERMS system & can do BIAB batches at the same time). I've never done a BIAB, but it might be good for inexperienced brewers to see just how easily it can be done......?

Geez this sounds awesome :p
I started last year with a few kits and also began partial BIAB so pretty keen to help out and learn from the gurus!

Guru's??? Nah, mate, just brewers like you with big ideas & a bit more experience.

Turn-up, eat, drink beer, talk to people (ie. fellow beer-geeks!), help-out & have fun. If you learn something, it's just gotta make your beers better.

Win-win all-round.

MartinOC said:
Guru's??? Nah, mate, just brewers like you with big ideas & a bit more experience.

Turn-up, eat, drink beer, talk to people (ie. fellow beer-geeks!), help-out & have fun. If you learn something, it's just gotta make your beers better.

Win-win all-round.
You forgot to mention burn stuff...

LOTSA stuff to burn :super: :

DSCN1127.JPG

Back