Vic. July 2015 Case Swap Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LMAO.. found the entire crate of this in the back of the shed. time for some bleated taste testing.. may be some aged beauties in there !

Grainer said:
LMAO.. found the entire crate of this in the back of the shed. time for some bleated taste testing.. may be some aged beauties in there !
Jackpot![emoji481][emoji481]

belated..bear in mind all reviews are 1 year after the fact! some will improve some will deteriorate! it is what it is.. There may even be some magnificent gems in there !

I know what you meant, but still, very Freudian.....

'Sure there will be some gems in there that others sampled too soon....

15. Droid - fURQnELL lager/pils - drink now

Surprised that after a year it is not crystal clear! Hazy straw appearance with gorgeous creamy head. Grainy pilsner malts with a clean ferment. Crisp and good carbonation with a balanced bitterness. Thesis a magnificent brew.. but would have been perfectly rounded without the haze! I realise it needs more hops.. but that is the age talking!

Isn't there an age related haze that can develop (esp if not refrigerated)?

I still remember cracking this one open an remarking on how damn crystal clear it was... Other than the haze it sounds like it has held up well, your review is similar to mine one page uno.

1. Idzy - "The Repeat Offender" Rye IPA - Bottled/kegged - Delightful

Poured well. carbonated .. now that is a difference from all the other reviews. Pours dark red and hazy. Sweet malt with rye/bready aroma and taste complements this. Strong citrus/fruit. Very reminiscent of honey and lemon mixed together. Honey is the dominating taste on this. Bitterness is a little underdone and hops are subdued obviously a time factor there. Mouthfeel is quite heavy almost like a stout bordering on RIS. It is remarkable how much honey profile is being pushed through on this beer.

Good seeing the review differences after a year & your perception of what's changed

Wow surprised the Lager held up at all over that time. They were very clear last year tho... and needed more hops back then too. Thanks for the review.

Drinking the last of the bottle.. this is great... I don't know how you did it,, maybe its time.. but as a Beekeeper.. I am loving the intense honey coming out of this.

[SIZE=14pt]7. mofox1 - American Brown - Drink NOW[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Brown, Crystal clear (except for the fact it is brown) nice tanned head, however diminishes quite quickly. Quite malty and sweet on aroma, with no hop presence as expected. Mouthfeel good and sort of milky in texture. Carbonation is quite high, almost leaving a spritzy feeling in your mouth. Alcohol presence is there but no where near unappealing as it kind of cuts though the sweetness of the malts. Roast malts are there but are not dominating as I saw in previous posts and has a dark chocolate character. Bitterness is present but does not detract from the brew. Only comment is that it is pushing what I would have expected from an American Brown on the malt side of thing. I expect with a load of hops this may balance out the sweetness.. maybe time has affected this.[/SIZE]

Grainer said:

Drinking the last of the bottle.. this is great... I don't know how you did it,, maybe its time.. but as a Beekeeper.. I am loving the intense honey coming out of this.
Thanks John, after the case swap this batch won 3 awards. I was wondering how I did it myself lol.
EDIT: The honey maltiness may be the prominent remaining flavour given it has been in the bottle around 18 months.

Brew it again and forget a few bottles.. Id drink this stuff anytime..

Is that honey flavour post-packaging oxidation? There was a thread that referenced that recently. I had just had a couple kegs with a not objectionable honey-like flavour. Once I tightened up my transfer and kegging practices it went away. I'd have to have a bit of a dig to find the thread again.

Actually, a couple people missed the flavour when I got rid of it.

Hmm possible. Anything is at this point though. I'm sure my process could be improved so please link.

17. AJ80 - Fake blonde? Nope, fake Brett - drink after 22 July.

Before I opened this thread. I was hoping this person put Brett into this beer.. lucky this has been confirmed..Hazy Dark straw with little to no head, Noticeable clean Brett character of horse blanket etc and character of what seems to be a pilsner based malt. Additional characteristics of subtle stone fruit like peach or apricot. Carbonation and mouthfeel is good. Now to track past the previous posts to see what peoples impressions were then and now!
Seems to agree with most comments here..I would expect that there is slightly more mellowed brett given the time and it has been able to meld a little more beautifully with the other ingredients.. these Brett beers love time so I am guessing I have dunk the pick of the Brett brews given the time frames!
nice beer

Grainer said:
17. AJ80 - Fake blonde? Nope, fake Brett - drink after 22 July.

Before I opened this thread. I was hoping this person put Brett into this beer.. lucky this has been confirmed..Hazy Dark straw with little to no head, Noticeable clean Brett character of horse blanket etc and character of what seems to be a pilsner based malt. Additional characteristics of subtle stone fruit like peach or apricot. Carbonation and mouthfeel is good. Now to track past the previous posts to see what peoples impressions were then and now!
Seems to agree with most comments here..I would expect that there is slightly more mellowed brett given the time and it has been able to meld a little more beautifully with the other ingredients.. these Brett beers love time so I am guessing I have dunk the pick of the Brett brews given the time frames!
nice beer
Cheers for the review and I'm glad you enjoyed it. This is one of my favourite yeast strains. Acts like Brett, looks like Brett, smells like Brett, tastes like Brett, but Brett it ain't...http://www.whitelabs.com/sites/default/files/644_Explanation.pdf

It even ages like Brett! It's really hitting its straps now (I've only a few bottles left - will bring one to the next swap). Perfect for an intro to the wild side of brewing...

Back