Vic. July 2015 Case Swap Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yob said:
All EKG?

Surprised

What was the yeast that got it to 1.0066?
Oops just looked up my log sheet. I used northdown as a bittering hop and EKG for the rest. I used 1203 Burton IPA blend as the yeast. It was a monster and ripped through the ferment.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
JB Slaughter Porter - man o man. Wow just wow. Super enjoyable mate, this is pushing on Martins Caledonian as my fav porter ever. Yes its f-ing bitter but I reckon the malts hold their own to bring it back to a very robust porter. Well done and thanks very much! Any chance for the recipe? I'm inspired!
Tried this one over the long weekend. Fantastic beer JB, really enjoyed it right to the last drop. Absolutely spot on mate. Thanks!

19. JB - Slaughter Robust Porter: What I love about spring are the cold snaps. Had this drop the other night, I disagree about the bitterness (not that I know) I didn't find it overly bitter and in fact I found it flawless. It smooth, nice head, a porters porter, nearly a stout? I never had a robust porter, I'm guessing its heading towards a stout? 1st class beer, I want more.

Thanks for the comments guys

Damn said:
19. JB - Slaughter Robust Porter: What I love about spring are the cold snaps. Had this drop the other night, I disagree about the bitterness (not that I know) I didn't find it overly bitter and in fact I found it flawless. It smooth, nice head, a porters porter, nearly a stout? I never had a robust porter, I'm guessing its heading towards a stout? 1st class beer, I want more.
Awesome Damo, cheers mate. Yeah I'm right on the extreme style edge for 12B Robust Porter:

Robust Porter
Vital Statistics: OG: 1.048 – 1.065
IBUs: 25 – 50 FG: 1.012 – 1.016
SRM: 22 – 35 ABV: 4.8 – 6.5%

Definitely overlapping into stout territory though :)

AJ80 said:
Tried this one over the long weekend. Fantastic beer JB, really enjoyed it right to the last drop. Absolutely spot on mate. Thanks!
Ripper AJ, glad you liked it mate. Run out of time?

MartinOC said:
I had quite a few of these left-over from the swap mayhem & gotta say, it was one of my favourites. Yeah, a little heavy on the roast, but I figured I was still drinking them young, so didn't think "down" on it at all.

Nice one!
Cheers Martin! Had my 2nd last one on Sat night & agree the first sip did have high roast.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Any chance for the recipe? I'm inspired!
61. Slaughter Porter - Robust Porter

ABV 6.5% - IBU: 50

5.4kg Pale Ale Malt
800g Brown Malt
300g Chocolate
100g Carafa II malt
100g Crystal 90

Hop Bill
----------------
25g Columbus @ 60m
25g EKG @ 20m
25g EKG @ 0m

Cubed. WLP001

7. mofox1 - American Brown
Aroma - Nice initial hit of roast and a hint of sweet fragrance (caramel)
Appearance - Very dark with medium carbonation - tight tan head, persists
Flavor - Very well balanced malt forward beer. Dry roast, biscuity flavour
Mouthfeel - Good body and mouth feel, slightly resiny lingers (good)
Overall impression - Very nice beer with beautiful malty flavours. Seemed like it had a good malt backbone, but was (to me) missing some of the american hop presence (could be due to time in the bottle, only drinking now). Very nice beer!

21. Navarau Dark Porter
Unfortunately, I think I got a bum bottle of this one. Sorry mate.

idzy said:
7. mofox1 - American Brown
Aroma - Nice initial hit of roast and a hint of sweet fragrance (caramel)
Appearance - Very dark with medium carbonation - tight tan head, persists
Flavor - Very well balanced malt forward beer. Dry roast, biscuity flavour
Mouthfeel - Good body and mouth feel, slightly resiny lingers (good)
Overall impression - Very nice beer with beautiful malty flavours. Seemed like it had a good malt backbone, but was (to me) missing some of the american hop presence (could be due to time in the bottle, only drinking now). Very nice beer!

21. Navarau Dark Porter
Unfortunately, I think I got a bum bottle of this one. Sorry mate.
Lol. Yes... it was meant to be drunk in July/Aug. Too much crystal otherwise.

Actually, the recipe called for 10% Crystal 40L, and 10% CaraPils... I toned it down to about 7 or 8% ea.

Hop presence was always going to be somewhat subdued, I actually forgot about the dry hop (~4g/L Cent), so even the fresh bottles were not that hoppy.

mofox1 said:
Lol. Yes... it was meant to be drunk in July/Aug. Too much crystal otherwise.

Actually, the recipe called for 10% Crystal 40L, and 10% CaraPils... I toned it down to about 7 or 8% ea.

Hop presence was always going to be somewhat subdued, I actually forgot about the dry hop (~4g/L Cent), so even the fresh bottles were not that hoppy.
I drinks like an amazing English Brown, haha, was bloody enjoyable.

14. Grainer - Californian Tropical Orangy-White IPA
Aroma - Very subtle malt, not much detected on the nose at all. Was expecting orange/coriander, but not detected. Slight esters perhaps?
Appearance - Dark, unusually so. Would recommend dropping SRM heaps. Very highly carbonated! Poured a quarter of the glass and foamed out of a pint glass. Most bottles I have had from you John is overcarbed, I would suggest dropping back your priming sugars (particularly in glass).
Flavour - Bam, bitter. So much bitterness, unfortunately nothing much to balance this bitterness out, such as fruitness or hop flavours. Bitterness finishes harsh.
Mouthfeel - Carbonation over powered a thin mouth feel
Overall impression - It may be time in the bottle, but the flavour of this one isn't balanced with the IBU. Not sure of original intent, but soo much bitterness. Throw some late hops at it for an US IPA and drop spec/roast for a wit.

5. Brewnut - Jaggery IPA
Aroma - Nice sweet aroma, obviously coming from the jaggery, some nice florals which compliment it well.
Appearance - Deep gold in colour, very inviting with clear clarity. Nice carbonation with tight head persists.
Flavour - Good bitterness, balanced with residual sugar. Florals don't seem to transfer to flavour, which is a shame.
Mouthfeel - Medium body
Overall impression - 10/10 for creativity and surprise. This beer is interesting and as described. Jaggery is front and centre in this beer, which is great. If florals transfered from aroma to flavour, this would become an outstanding beer. Well done Karl!

2. DJ_L3tHAL - American IPA!
Aroma - Definitely sweet, with a swirl some really nice citrus and pine coming through and what I am sure is cascade - very pleasant, particularly once it warms a bit
Appearance - Pale gold in colour with good clarity. Carbonation is low/medium-low and dimishes quickly.
Flavour - Good bitterness, balanced with residual sweetness, nice floral and pine coming through on the flavour with a smooth finish.
Mouthfeel - Medium body
Overall impression - Fantastic example of this style, exactly what to expect with an AIPA. I am sure it would have been even better fresher, but was a fantastic drop nonetheless. Well done Nathan!

mofox1 said:
A lot of reviews there... Nursing a hangover today Idzy?
I'm not at work, but it's due to the kid rather than the beer...that's what I am telling myself anyways, lol!

12. MartinOC - Sassenach Scotch Ale : Very nice, heavy, malty, sweet dark ale, again enjoyed this on the rainy Friday night. Great brew, nice change from my stout.

17. AJ80 - Blonde with Fake Brett
Aroma - Some distinguishable funk going on, combined with peach/pear fruitiness.
Appearance - Brilliantly clear straw/golden colour
Flavour - What seems to be tartness in the aroma doesn't transfer through to flavour. Good balance between dry/sweet and finishes slightly dry
Mouthfeel - Very light body and mouth feel
Overall impression - Haven't had many like this - a surprising and enjoyable drop :)

idzy said:
17. AJ80 - Blonde with Fake Brett
Aroma - Some distinguishable funk going on, combined with peach/pear fruitiness.
Appearance - Brilliantly clear straw/golden colour
Flavour - What seems to be tartness in the aroma doesn't transfer through to flavour. Good balance between dry/sweet and finishes slightly dry
Mouthfeel - Very light body and mouth feel
Overall impression - Haven't had many like this - a surprising and enjoyable drop :)
Nailed it! Yeah, this was my overall favourite of the swap brews from July & got the recipe going in the fermenter right now (just bumped it up to 24C). Lovely Summery quencher!

19. JB - Slaughter Robust Porter
Aroma - Beautiful roast, chocolate and caramel.
Appearance - Rich dark brown, held to the light slight mahogany. Nice tight carbonation, diminishes quickly, but bounces back with a gentle swirl.
Flavour - Wow, very flavourful, big roasty malt, huge. Definitely roasty dryness in the finish.
Mouthfeel - Full bodied with good carbonation, a touch of astringency probably from spec malts.
Overall impression - Definitely teetering on stout territory and and would pass as one. Absolutely beautiful drop. Really enjoying this one!

Cheers for the feedback gents. Really glad you enjoyed the beer.

I've only got the RIS left, is it ready yet? Is it? I'll think I'll store mine till May/June 2016.

Latest posts

Back