Vic. July 2015 Case Swap Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
9. Curly79. APA with home grown Victoria hops.

Nice beer mate. Very clean ferment and rather easy to drink. Would be a great summertime drop. My only (and minor) suggestion would be to up the IBUs a tad. Really enjoying mate.

7. mofox1 - American Brown

Very well done mate. Wonderful colour, great aroma and flavour (absolutely spot on). Epic head retention too. Really enjoying this one. Thanks!

AJ80 said:
7. mofox1 - American Brown

Very well done mate. Wonderful colour, great aroma and flavour (absolutely spot on). Epic head retention too. Really enjoying this one. Thanks!
Cheers AJ - had my last one from that batch a few nights ago... good thing I recently made two more cubes of it! :D

AJ80 said:
9. Curly79. APA with home grown Victoria hops.

Nice beer mate. Very clean ferment and rather easy to drink. Would be a great summertime drop. My only (and minor) suggestion would be to up the IBUs a tad. Really enjoying mate.
Cheers AJ. My latest brew was the same recipe with double the hop flowers. It's much nicer than my swap beer. Onto my Fourth BIAB now and really enjoying making beer that actually tastes Good. Cheers mate [emoji106]

4. Nullnvoid - ByGeRu Pale Ale : Savoured this slowly over a couple of quarters on Sat Arvo. Lovely, weather was right, timed it nicely. This is a model American/Aussie Pale Ale. Not to be rushed. Sorry I'm not describing too much, you'll have to try it for yourself. Thank you.

17. AJ80 - Fake blonde? Nope, fake Brett - drink after 22 July.

AJ, you've done it again.

Tell me more about this for Brett. Fantastic beer mate and I will point out again you've been making a real good habit of brewing great beers. I just want to drink this all night long. Tell me more or recipe if I've missed it.

http://www.discogs.com/Lionel-Richie-All-Night-Long-All-Night/master/45761

Haha. Cheers for the feedback midnight brew, glad you've enjoyed the beer mate.

It's a really strange yeast - here's a short piece on it from white labs http://www.whitelabs.com/sites/default/files/644_Explanation.pdf. It's a strain I think I'm going to keep playing with. Am thinking about using it on a sour mash wheat beer of sorts.

And for the recipe itself:

Grist:
77% Maris otter
21% wheat malt
2% acidulated malt (added this as I read from Michael Tonsmire that the acidulated malt with Brett makes for some extra fruity esters or some such).
Single infusion mash at 66 degrees for 60mins.
OG: 1050 (75% efficiency)
FG: 1.007
Hops:
0.6g/L mosaic first wort @ 60mins
0.9g/L mosaic cube hop
Fermented at 21C for four weeks before bottling.

RE pitching rate, previously read that for 100% Brett beers you need a pitching rate closer to a lager as the cells are much smaller (if memory serves me right). This is what I did and had no issues fermentation wise, but turns out the yeast isn't Brett so not sure if this really applies...

I've got a FES that's failed all attempts to attenuate and was tossing up to build up a starter from the dregs. Decided I'll order some next time I buy some ingredients. Wonderful tropicl favours that compliment the hop character. I'd love to have this in the yeast bank.

8. Tahoose- English Bitter, drink in August.

Smooth, balanced and satisfying ale Sir. Fruity and sweet on the nose matched on a lovely malty profile with some background sweetness.

Awesome beer mate.

Enjoyed whilst bottling a FES.

9. Curly79. APA with home grown Victoria hops. I agree, good summer drop easy drinking session beer. Thanks

4. Nullnvoid - ByGeRu Pale Ale (Little Creatures clone) - Drink after early August. Was only bottled a week before the swap.

Long lasting swiller she was. Some wondeful fruity characters on the nose, strong malt character backed by a firm but refreshing bitterness. Oh if only it was sunny and hot. So easy to drink.

Cheers Nullvoid.

Damn said:
4. Nullnvoid - ByGeRu Pale Ale : Savoured this slowly over a couple of quarters on Sat Arvo. Lovely, weather was right, timed it nicely. This is a model American/Aussie Pale Ale. Not to be rushed. Sorry I'm not describing too much, you'll have to try it for yourself. Thank you.

Midnight Brew said:
4. Nullnvoid - ByGeRu Pale Ale (Little Creatures clone) - Drink after early August. Was only bottled a week before the swap.

Long lasting swiller she was. Some wondeful fruity characters on the nose, strong malt character backed by a firm but refreshing bitterness. Oh if only it was sunny and hot. So easy to drink.

Cheers Nullvoid.

Thanks guys much appreciated. I'll be honest I was a bit concerned with this brew as I couldn't sample it before I did the swap. Coming out of the fermenter it had a taste that I couldn't pick. It seems to have gone alright though and perhaps I shouldn't have worried myself with it.

3. Yob - Belgian Pale Ale: All the hoppiness of a American Pale Ale with that lovely flavour of a Belgian. I loved this beer. I wanna get myself a belgian yeast for my next PA. I wanted to nap on the fluffy head and the carbonation was perfect. Thank you.

JBROWN

Lovely beer mate, carb is spot on, body is medium full, hint of sweetness but offset by a firm lovely bitterness

What's the ABV? Rekon it's reasonably high but we'll hidden..

Love this beer mate, well executed

Yob said:
JBROWN

Lovely beer mate, carb is spot on, body is medium full, hint of sweetness but offset by a firm lovely bitterness

What's the ABV? Rekon it's reasonably high but we'll hidden..

Love this beer mate, well executed
Thank you, 1.072.....1.010 which beersmith calcs at 8.2%.

I'm exhausted so sorry, nothing in depth here.

Oaty Stout.

Lovely drop, beautiful lacing and head, a decent amount of body and mouthfeel was full but balanced, stupidly, I shared it with the FIL and now finding I want more

Nope, renovating, any second/minute/hour/day now though..

moving into end game for the brewery, took out the front wall today and moving many things about to make the space work better, it's almost unrecognisable as the old shed that folks will remember.

Back