Vic. July 2015 Case Swap Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My swap pale ale wooden spooned the pale ale mania comp..

It was entered out of style though (I gotta stop doing that)

Will be having one of them with dinner tonight to see what the fuss was all about ;)

I tasted a beer of yours Yob, that you were quite stindgy with handing out it must be said, anyway it was a barley wine that tasted like my all time favourite beer - the Delmont, that was a good beer mate!

Quickie update before I go to bed:

My old man's opinion...

#17 - AJ80's Blonde/Brett weirdo thinggie: "Absolutely SUPERB!!!! 9.5/10" :D

Now THAT's gonna take some beating.......

15. Droid - fURQnELL lager/pils

Furging good! Enjoyed while kegging my mild.

Had a really refreshing flavour even for this time of year. Much more pleasant then any lager I've tasted before and I loved the fact i could actually taste that fresh grain flavour.

I know bugger all about lagers but thought this was supurb. Cheers for sharing and for putting up a lager at a swap. :icon_cheers:

#5 - Brewnut's Jaggery IPA.

I'm in two minds about this one & the jury is still out (I've now had two of the ones left behind after the swap - part of the perks, I guess... :D ).

I was expecting something much hoppier (being an IPA), but there's no obvious hops there in the nose. There's an obvious "raw palm sugar" to the aroma that suggests molasses, but it's too simplistic to say just that.

I've used Jaggery in my cooking before, but never had its' nuances revealed in a beer, where it will obviously show itself apart from what you would normally expect in a beer (ie. malt/hops) & be distinguishable.

It's aniseedy, but by no means "in-your-face" molasses. I'd actually describe it more as raw fennel-seed. I can't see the jaggery mellowing over time, as there's not much hop to counteract it's flavour/aroma atm. Like I said, the Jury is still out..

5. Brewnut - Jaggery IPA: This beer is what a case swap is all about. Wtf is Jaggery I say, had to look it up. Never heard of it. As I start my first pot, I go, nah, not my cup of tea. But as I read about Jaggery, explore the flavours it starts to grow on me. I tend to buck up on the unfamiliar and always have to remind myself as I do to my kids try something at least 10x. At first I thought the Jaggery was too much, but it doesn't linger and there's a nice bitterness about it. Good beer man, love the risk taking, I make a mental note of this too inspire me on future swaps.

Here I am sitting putting a kits and bits brew down whilst tasting Jaggery IPA and you know what? I really can't sum it up any better than Damn. I could have written that word for bloody word. So I'm not going to add anymore as I would just be repeating :)

I haven't tried Brewnut's Jaggery IPA yet but I'm enjoying the reviews & use of something different that's challenging the norm. Bravo Brewnut. It may be my Sunday challenge ☺

MartinOC said:
#5 - Brewnut's Jaggery IPA.

I'm in two minds about this one & the jury is still out (I've now had two of the ones left behind after the swap - part of the perks, I guess... :D ).

I was expecting something much hoppier (being an IPA), but there's no obvious hops there in the nose. There's an obvious "raw palm sugar" to the aroma that suggests molasses, but it's too simplistic to say just that.

I've used Jaggery in my cooking before, but never had its' nuances revealed in a beer, where it will obviously show itself apart from what you would normally expect in a beer (ie. malt/hops) & be distinguishable.

It's aniseedy, but by no means "in-your-face" molasses. I'd actually describe it more as raw fennel-seed. I can't see the jaggery mellowing over time, as there's not much hop to counteract it's flavour/aroma atm. Like I said, the Jury is still out..
I think one of the issues with IPAs now is that if you say it's an IPA everyone expects it to be an in your face super hoppy American IPA. the Jaggery IPA is a take on a traditional English IPA with some twists. This means while it is hoppy it's not what most people now expect for an IPA.

Damn said:
5. Brewnut - Jaggery IPA: This beer is what a case swap is all about. Wtf is Jaggery I say, had to look it up. Never heard of it. As I start my first pot, I go, nah, not my cup of tea. But as I read about Jaggery, explore the flavours it starts to grow on me. I tend to buck up on the unfamiliar and always have to remind myself as I do to my kids try something at least 10x. At first I thought the Jaggery was too much, but it doesn't linger and there's a nice bitterness about it. Good beer man, love the risk taking, I make a mental note of this too inspire me on future swaps.
Thanks Damn!, that's what my thoughts are. Case swaps should be about experimenting and pushing your boundaries of beer styles and beers you like or would normally drink. As well as the Jaggery there is fenugreek in it which helps to impart a Maple syrup flavour. It is a bit full on in terms of flavours and I think the fact it's about 7.6% (from memory) helps it to grow on you when drinking!!!
Cheers and Beers, Karl

#5 - Brewnut's Jaggery IPA

Cracking beer mate. Really enjoying this one. As I'm a bit rubbish as describing beers I may leave it there, but this is probably my favourite one so far from the swap. Complex, but very approachable.

I also agree 100% on your comments RE swap beers.

Bold move with that jaggery IPA, definitely enjoyed it and kept me thinking about it the whole time. Thats why we're beer enthusiasts!!! Great job!

Gotta drink this Jaggery now that its all the talk

8: Tahoose. English Bitter. 9/10!! Had my first taste of an English bitter at the case swap and bloody loved it. This one is just as nice. Was that you handing out samples from a stainless growler? Would love the recipe for this one. Great beer mate[emoji106]

^^I really enjoyed it too last night mate, my only minor (very minor) disappointment was that it tasted slightly young (very subtle Apple flavoured tartness) so perhaps it could do with another week or two at room temp? I'd like recipe also!

Back