Vic. July 2015 Case Swap Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn said:
I've already carbed yours up. It was delicious. Very smooth.
MartinOC said:
#1 Idzy's Rye IPA - I poured from a height as suggested & everything went well.

Man, that thing is UNCTUOUS!!! It ticks all the boxes & I liked it, but couldn't drink a lot of it.
Thank you for the feedback Gents, most appreciated! :beerbang: :super:

MartinOC said:
Ah... Now you've made me go & re-read the chapter on Wit Biers again.....If you want to read my copy of Rajotte's book, you're welcome, as long as it boomerangs, as it's part of a complete set.

From my re-reading (it confuses the hell out of me every time I've read it), making wits was historically a very complicated process involving four different worts: one hopped, two un-hopped & a 4th that was hopped with the "spent" hops from the first-runnings. The boiling times varied, from 60-90 minutes. I don't think we need to go to such lengths as homebrewers. We're so used to using well-modified grains & long boils these days, the traditional stuff seems to get pushed aside in the quest for clear beer.

'Glad to hear you're using unSalted wheat & oats, 'though..... :p

I'm not 100% on this, but you might find that the Wit yeast & Forbidden Fruit yeast are one & the same. More research required there...

And don't forget the spices - that was something I noticed was absent in your swap beer (maybe because of age?).
Had heaps of orange and coriander... and it was a new batch.. the Hops took overI think.. I used Zythos, which is a very strong flavour hop

Very late reply; I love the original karate kid and dances with wolves

Alrighty, bunch of notes somewhere....

1. Idzy - "The Repeat Offender" Rye IPA
Undercarbed, but yes, still delish. Similar to my Rye IPA I dry hopped with Casc + Chinook....

22. Damn - American Brown: Labelled #043 JBROWN
Umm - this was at the end of an evening and I didn't write notes. Was great, from memory (same one as at the swap?), but vastly different to mine. Maybe more of an ashy roast? More hops too. Good stuff ;)

9. Curly79. APA with home grown Victoria hops. 2nd ever BIAB. Fingers crossed.
Fingers worked mate - great drop. Very light - not massively hoppy but in balance with the malt. Very sessionable, I could imagine a carton of this on a bush weekend disappearing quick.

11. Midnight Brew - The Explorer (Dark Ale III) American Brown
Dipping into the Septembers already. BUT you did say I could drink now. So I did. Nice american hop aroma & flavour. This was a *very* pretty drop - deep red to brown. Still transparent (just!) in my Pilsner glass. Light body and long lasting head. Very easy drinking.... a little too easy.

And now it's back to my own for a while... but AJ - you're only a week away.

Oops missed one.

14. Grainer - Californian Tropical Orangy-White IPA

No stranger to contraversy, grainer has managed to whip up a storm with this brew. Once you open the bottle though, you'll find yourself in typical oasis of calm... No flamesuits needed!

Seriously though, this one poured a great head, had a fresh citrus nose and a slightly sweet/caramel orange underlying fresh citrus hop flavour. Body was[\b] light, and reckon that might have been a good thing. Too much malt would have made the orange overly sweet.

... I thought it was a tasty wee drop... Am I too easy to please?

:ph34r:.... :D

Cheers mofox. I threw a fair amount of Victoria flowers in the mix but as you said it's not that hoppy? Will try some more next time. Might try dry hopping some too. [emoji106]

So with the exception of the swap I was sort of going to have a month off drinking, and then I decided to stick a screw into my thumb and needed a beer. As a result I have started on -

Mine was really under carbed. However it qaa delicious. I can't give anymore detail than that.

I recommend drinking this beer after sticking a screw in your thumb. 9/10

Enjoyed while cooking/eating a steak sandwich.

Poured a dream from a height. Solid firm bitterness with a pungent but pleasant aroma. Really worked in nicely with the malt leaving a slightly sticky mouthfeel but very satisfying.

You've done a great job of creating a beautiful IPA, must say I'd be pretty happy with this if I was to purchase it or brew it! image.jpg

21. Navarau Dark Porter

Now I'm certainly no style nazi and whether or not this is a true 'porter' doesn't really bother me (if I HAD to pick a style I'd say red ale). I'm more focused on whether or not it is a decent drop...and it certainly is! Rich, malty and very well balanced with a perfect level of carbonation. I could drink these all winter quite happily. This is a top notch beer. Well brewed mate. Very enjoyable.

MartinOC said:
#14. Grainer's Cal./White IPA.

Mate, are you sure you gave us the right bottles for this swap?? I was expecting a "Hoppy Hoegaarden".

The colour is dark (I was expecting white/opaque). Carbonation is HUGE!.

The nose is neither spicy nor hoppy. No obvious malt or wheaty characteristics. Perhaps I'm picking-up a bit of "burnt"/caramel?

Body is thin & over-attenuated for what I was expecting, so the bitterness is somewhat harsh. Flavour is similarly lacking.

There's obvious alcohol in the finish. Did you use a Belgian Abbey-style yeast?

Sorry, mate, it really doesn't float my boat. Again - are you sure you gave us the right bottles??
In the interests of fairness (& the fact that folks left excess swap-bottles for me... :beerbang: ), I'm having another go at this one as I type...

Definitely a BIG difference between this one & the first bottle I sampled. There's much more body & I'm actually getting the spices (albeit subdued compared to a "regular" Wit). Carbonation is also lower. It still strikes me more in Belgian strong-ale character than Wit & now I can see why it got a gong as a Belgian IPA at the MM comp. I reckon I must've just got a bung-bottle 1st time 'round.

Actually, quite well done, Grainer.

Midnight Brew said:

Enjoyed while cooking/eating a steak sandwich.

Poured a dream from a height. Solid firm bitterness with a pungent but pleasant aroma. Really worked in nicely with the malt leaving a slightly sticky mouthfeel but very satisfying.

You've done a great job of creating a beautiful IPA, must say I'd be pretty happy with this if I was to purchase it or brew it! image.jpg
Drinking the same beer right now. Idzy, this thing is fantastic mate - really enjoying it. Full bodied from the rye, firm bitterness and a heap of hop flavour and aroma. The low carbonation and tight creamy head (poured from a height) reminds me of the hoppy IPAs the Wigg & Penn in Canberra would serve from time to time on the beer engine. Well brewed mate and would kill for the recipe!

Alright, thumb still hurts so it's into dj_lethals IPA!

Wow, that was delicious, carbed perfectly for my liking and the hoppiness was amazing. Well done on a great beer.

My girlfriend wants me to get the recipe, she loved it too.

Also it was quite deceptively strong, that sucker went straight to my head!

1: Idzy's Rye IPA

Geezus mate. That stuff poured out of the bottle like Golden Syrup and tasted like heaven on earth! Absolutely love it!

7. Mofox's ABA.

I just got a call from my old man asking if I can get the recipe for this one & make him a batch! I've just copied the recipe for future reference.

He said that it had a definite "fruitiness" which he just loved. When pressed to describe it, he picked "grapefruit" (there's the Cascade/Chinook), but there was something else that he just couldn't describe (I'm guessing from the Burton yeast).

He gave it 9/10 (best score so far!!).

15. Droid - fURQnELL lager/pils. So for starters pretty gutsy putting up a Bo Pils. This beers has great clarity but is under-carbonated so no head. There is a fruity sweetness on the nose and some in the taste: acetaldehyde?? Otherwise pretty clean. Hops are low, as is the malt, but the graininess is there. The beer is well balanced. This is a pretty good drop. Next time more hops and less fruitiness, and it will be an absolute cracker.

#9 - Curly79's APA.

BLECH!!! What plonker showed you how to do AG?? Must be a complete numbnuts! ;)

Serously, 'though... Very VERY nice. Easy-drinking & dead clean. Absolutely no "process-faults" that I can detect, so whatever you're doing, stick with it!

I'm drinking this now & I'm getting a bit of "saltiness", which I've noticed in my own beers since I came up here & started using tank water, so it's either something in that, or I gave you a bum-drum & we're both over-doing the CaCl/CaSO4 treatments on such soft water. You previously said you put a swag of Victoria in this batch & it's not overly hoppy, so I'm guessing it's too much CaCl.

I don't know what a bum drum is and I don't think I wanna know either! :p

Back