Vic. July 2015 Case Swap Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
21. Navarau Dark Porter - Bottled 3/5/15 Drink Now. Thought it was a Dark Porter but I'm not sure now after chatting on the weekend.

Red Ale

Upon having non tainted taste buds I found this beer really balanced. Malty and sweet aroma, clean malt on the mouth and a subtle ester character. This would make an awesome house ale. Still enjoyed every last drop of this.

Enjoyed whilst watching the greatest movie ever made.

ConAir (1997)

nicholas-cage-con-air.jpg

Put, the bunny, back in the box.

Well this ain't all mai tai's and Yahtzee now is it?

Will try one of these tonight when I make it out of this hipster infested burger joint.

7. mofox1 - American Brown: Excellent drop, starkly different to mine, very dark, but definitely brown. Wouldn't mind a few more of this one. I think the brown is my new favorite.

21. Navarau Dark Porter: To a blind man, it smells like a porter, tastes like a porter. Really enjoyed this, I'm a new fan to the darker beers and this one is bloody excellent. Oddly, very light in colour, more amber (not that I care). Can we call it a porter blonde?

And damn out of case swaps till late July.

Midnight Brew said:
7. mofox1 - American Brown

Beautiful toasty, bready, rich and cookie like aroma followed by those exact notes in the flavour. Awesome beer mate! I love how malt forward it is with the citrus and fruity aroma of the hops. You've really tied this beer together well. Thanks for sharing.

Oh and recipe please.
Heheh - glad you liked it. I was planning on keeping that one and swapping a RyeIPA but after a few weeks in the bottle I thought the Rye wasn't coming out as well as the previous times I'd made it.

Here's the recipe, it's a slightly less american version of the Janet's Brown (no dry hop, english yeast). The actual OG was ~1.062 (75% eff) and FG 1.012.

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 25.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.066 (°P): 16.1
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (°P): 3.6
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 6.83 %
Colour (SRM): 22.0 (EBC): 43.3
Bitterness (IBU): 67.6 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 80
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
3.230 kg Pilsner (47.92%)
1.440 kg Munich I (21.36%)
0.600 kg Crystal 40 (8.9%)
0.600 kg Gladfields Gladiator Malt (8.9%)
0.600 kg Wheat Malt (8.9%)
0.270 kg Chocolate (4.01%)

Hop Bill
----------------
48.0 g Northern Brewer Pellet (5.8% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil) (1.9 g/L)
50.0 g Cascade (AU) Pellet (7.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (2 g/L)
50.0 g Chinook Leaf (10% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (2 g/L)
30.0 g Northern Brewer Pellet (5.8% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (1.2 g/L)

Single step Infusion at 65°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 18°C with WLP023 - Burton Ale

15. Droids' fURQnELL - Hop aroma/flavour & carbonation all on the low side. Bitterness is in balance with the malt, with a slightly grainy front-palate. A touch of acetaldehyde. More like a Bitburger than an Urquell. It's growing on me...

#2. DJ's APA. Carbonation seems high, but doesn't detract from the overall impression. A little hazy, but I'm not fussed about that, either. Clean & crisp, medium body, with a lovely lingering, balanced hop flavour right to the very end, when you get a hint of the alcohol content (which isn't evident until then). Very nicely done!!

I am absolutely shithouse at describing beer and still can't access my main PC to copy and paste with ease

In order of drinking

DJ lethals IPA - nice!
Damn - American brown - real nice!
Midnight brew brown - nice!
Idzy rye IPa - poured flat and then carbed up like a widget beer - really nice!
Mofox american brown - very enjoyable! (Thought I'd mix it up there)
Grainer IPA - nice! A Bit carbed up
Navarau - porterish very enjoyable!

My pick would be damn's American brown, awesome drop

#14. Grainer's Cal./White IPA.

Mate, are you sure you gave us the right bottles for this swap?? I was expecting a "Hoppy Hoegaarden".

The colour is dark (I was expecting white/opaque). Carbonation is HUGE!.

The nose is neither spicy nor hoppy. No obvious malt or wheaty characteristics. Perhaps I'm picking-up a bit of "burnt"/caramel?

Body is thin & over-attenuated for what I was expecting, so the bitterness is somewhat harsh. Flavour is similarly lacking.

There's obvious alcohol in the finish. Did you use a Belgian Abbey-style yeast?

Sorry, mate, it really doesn't float my boat. Again - are you sure you gave us the right bottles??

#21 Navarau's Porter.

Not a porter.....

Picking-up acetaldehyde in the nose & a little vegetal. Roastiness is apparent.

Mouthfeel is good/appropriate, as is carbonation.

Immediate flavour impression is roast/chocolate, but not harsh. Low hop bitterness/flavour. Malt impression/impact lacking for this style of beer. Caramel evident in the finish.

It gets better the more you drink it, it's just not a porter.

Latest posts

Back