Vic. July 2015 Case Swap Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha ha. I've since done the same brew, only this time I hopped the living shit out of it with the same flowers and none of the Water treatment. I can really smell the hops in the Fermentation fridge with this one[emoji106]. Time will tell mate.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
I don't know what a bum drum is and I don't think I wanna know either! :p
Sorry, 'must be an old Military expression for "giving bad advice".

BTW I just got a call from my old man...

#14 Grainer's White IPA.

It was a gusher! Once it had settled, he noted a pronounced orange flavour/aroma (there's the Coriander/Orange peel?).

Drumroll.......(NOT a "bum-drum"!). He gave it 9/10 - equal 1st-place pegging with Mofox so far....

Curly79 said:
Ha ha. I've since done the same brew, only this time I hopped the living shit out of it with the same flowers and none of the Water treatment. I can really smell the hops in the Fermentation fridge with this one[emoji106]. Time will tell mate.
I'd be interested to taste the difference once it's ready (it can only help ME make better beers as well!!!!). Hint-hint.. :D

Black n Tan said:
15. Droid - fURQnELL lager/pils. So for starters pretty gutsy putting up a Bo Pils. This beers has great clarity but is under-carbonated so no head. There is a fruity sweetness on the nose and some in the taste: acetaldehyde?? Otherwise pretty clean. Hops are low, as is the malt, but the graininess is there. The beer is well balanced. This is a pretty good drop. Next time more hops and less fruitiness, and it will be an absolute cracker.
well it's time to own up :

this was my first AG lager, no stir plate and 3ltrs of starter (beer included) thrown in at 25 degrees onto 20 ltrs of awaiting wort...so yes that was a bit of a stuff up. Would that be the acetyldahyde, whoa - I think the recipe was for a pils, I used the urquell yeast instead of whatever it was sposed to be and came up with the name, it wasn't a an urquell clone tho.

I was worried about over carbonating and had not used PET before so erred on the side of caution hence the lack of fizz

but thanks for the feedback, whenever I can bear to lose a fridge for a couple of months I might try again, feedback taken onboard

droid said:
well it's time to own up :

this was my first AG lager, no stir plate and 3ltrs of starter (beer included) thrown in at 25 degrees onto 20 ltrs of awaiting wort...so yes that was a bit of a stuff up. Would that be the acetyldahyde, whoa - I think the recipe was for a pils, I used the urquell yeast instead of whatever it was sposed to be and came up with the name, it wasn't a an urquell clone tho.

I was worried about over carbonating and had not used PET before so erred on the side of caution hence the lack of fizz

but thanks for the feedback, whenever I can bear to lose a fridge for a couple of months I might try again, feedback taken onboard
For your first lager you did a pretty good job and you have identified the mistakes, so the next one should be much better. A stir plate certainly helps with lagers, almost a must IMO. As a result you probably under pitched and combined with the high pitch temp would have generated the fruity esters. The under pitch would also explain the acetaldehyde.

22. Damn - American Brown: Labelled #043 JBROWN

Yet another cracking swap beer. Hoppy, chocolatey and bitter as. Really enjoying this one mate - could drink a brew like this all winter long!

AJ80 said:
22. Damn - American Brown: Labelled #043 JBROWN

Yet another cracking swap beer. Hoppy, chocolatey and bitter as. Really enjoying this one mate - could drink a brew like this all winter long!
As it warms this beer just gets better and better!

Yep that american brown I had last night. Hss been my favorite this far!! Good brewin Mick!

5. Brewnut - Jaggery IPA
(Hopefully didn't crack this one too soon?) Pours thick and opaque, well carbed, with plenty of teensy tiny bubbles. A bit too challenging for me, this one. I'm not a fan of molasses, and I'm assuming there was a large amount of unprocessed sugar in there? Haven't had the original, so I can't draw any comparisons. May suit other's palates better.

17. AJ80 - Fake blonde? Nope, fake Brett - drink after 22 July.
Can definitely taste the faux-brett! Exact same taste I got from Brewnut's Saison from the previous swap, which had me going for his secrets.... luverly.

mofox1 said:
5. Brewnut - Jaggery IPA
(Hopefully didn't crack this one too soon?) Pours thick and opaque, well carbed, with plenty of teensy tiny bubbles. A bit too challenging for me, this one. I'm not a fan of molasses, and I'm assuming there was a large amount of unprocessed sugar in there? Haven't had the original, so I can't draw any comparisons. May suit other's palates better.

Can definitely taste the faux-brett! Exact same taste I got from Brewnut's Saison from the previous swap, which had me going for his secrets.... luverly.
Glad you liked it mate - certainly the strangest sacc-yeast I've ever used. Formed a pelicle and everything!

mofox1 said:
5. Brewnut - Jaggery IPA

It's all good, the jaggery is a type of palm sugar so that is probably what you are getting coming through. Also the fenugreek gives a maple flavour. It's an interesting brew that most people are like WTF!!

17. AJ 80. Don't no much about Brett style beers. However, I really enjoyed this more with every mouthful. Had a nice fruity, peachy? Taste. Beautiful. 8/10. Nice one

5. Brewnut Jaggery IPA.
Never tasted anything quite like this before. Was a bit unsure at first but ended up liking it towards the end. Definitely has some balls to it strength wise. Not bad at all mate[emoji106] 7/10. Cheers.

Curly79 said:
5. Brewnut Jaggery IPA.
Never tasted anything quite like this before. Was a bit unsure at first but ended up liking it towards the end. Definitely has some balls to it strength wise. Not bad at all mate[emoji106] 7/10. Cheers.
Cheers Curly

#17 AJ80's Fake Blonde/Brett.

I had one of these (I have 6 of them... :D ) when I was "slightly" (ahem!) off with the pixies very late on Friday night & just HAD to have another one last night to confirm my first impressions. I won't transcribe my notes from Friday night, as they're somewhat, erm....pixilated..... :ph34r:

I was expecting "Blonde", but the first sniff told me this was something else entirely.

Slight bubblegum, pils malt?? Pears, cherries, peaches.....? WTF IS this?? It's not Brett. Then it hit me:

Man! This is one VERY good Saison!

I love it & I still have another 4 to savour over time....

Cheers for the feedback Curly and Martin - really glad you both enjoyed the beer.

Martin - this was my standard blonde grist of 75% Maris otter and 25% wheat malt. Mosaic hops at 60mins and then a smidge in the cube. I agree on the yeast though, it's really interesting and I'm glad I've saved some for future use. Will be fantastic in a west coast IPA I reckon.

For those interested (or just plain nerdy ), do some searching on WLP644, it's a really interesting strain. Here's a short explanation from white labs - http://www.whitelabs.com/sites/default/files/644_Explanation.pdf

17. AJ80 - Fake blonde? Nope, fake Brett: Musk? Nah not musk, I can't put my finger on it. Is this a saison? I haven't had many of this style. This is different but I love it. What a way to start an afternoon session. The bar is high.

14. Grainer - Californian White IPA: And this baby had no trouble reaching that bar. Another great drop. I don't have the lingo to describe. Spicy, belgian tasting yet classic US IPA too.

I felf sort of posh drinking these fine beers on a Sat afternoon. Thanks guys.

Latest posts

Back