VIC. 2015 Xmas in July - Recipe.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be way over there if you blokes are getting frisky after a few beers haha

have chainsaw if there is concern over unwanted wood or ... people - bwah hah ha

Alcohol we'll have.

Chainsaws I've got (actually, 3 of them...!) Here's me with "The Beast":

DSCN0983.JPG

Anyway.....back to the recipe discussions.....

Does anyone have any other ideas for recipes? My Scotch Ale Classic Series book is currently with Yob, so I can't refer to it for tried & tested alternatives. Open to suggestions.....?

Can we ferment the bar and chain oil out of that chainsaw???

OG would have to be like 7.065

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Can we ferment the bar and chain oil out of that chainsaw???

OG would have to be like 7.065
Mate, I buy my bar/chain oil in 20L drums (I'm seriously going through THAT much!!), so I've got plenty.

Wouldn't recommend fermenting the stuff, however - you'd end-up with "Wood-alcohol" (F'nur F'nur.. :lol: ).

note to self : please avoid upsetting anyone trained to kill, anyone who has an abundance of land and equipment that could be used to hide/cover up any unsavoury deeds, whom houses no less than 3 chainsaws...

being completely in the dark about wee heavies I thought a posting of the style guidelines might at least help get some heads like mine around it?

9E. Strong Scotch Ale
Aroma: Deeply malty, with caramel often apparent. Peaty, earthy and/or smoky secondary aromas may also be present, adding complexity. Caramelization often is mistaken for diacetyl, which should be low to none. Low to moderate esters and alcohol are often present in stronger versions. Hops are very low to none.
Appearance: Light copper to dark brown color, often with deep ruby highlights. Clear. Usually has a large tan head, which may not persist in stronger versions. Legs may be evident in stronger versions.
Flavor: Richly malty with kettle caramelization often apparent (particularly in stronger versions). Hints of roasted malt or smoky flavor may be present, as may some nutty character, all of which may last into the finish. Hop flavors and bitterness are low to medium-low, so malt impression should dominate. Diacetyl is low to none, although caramelization may sometimes be mistaken for it. Low to moderate esters and alcohol are usually present. Esters may suggest plums, raisins or dried fruit. The palate is usually full and sweet, but the finish may be sweet to medium-dry (from light use of roasted barley).
Mouthfeel: Medium-full to full-bodied, with some versions (but not all) having a thick, chewy viscosity. A smooth, alcoholic warmth is usually present and is quite welcome since it balances the malty sweetness. Moderate carbonation.
Overall Impression: Rich, malty and usually sweet, which can be suggestive of a dessert. Complex secondary malt flavors prevent a one-dimensional impression. Strength and maltiness can vary.
Comments: Also known as a “wee heavy.” Fermented at cooler temperatures than most ales, and with lower hopping rates, resulting in clean, intense malt flavors. Well suited to the region of origin, with abundant malt and cool fermentation and aging temperature. Hops, which are not native to Scotland and formerly expensive to import, were kept to a minimum.
Ingredients: Well-modified pale malt, with up to 3% roasted barley. May use some crystal malt for color adjustment; sweetness usually comes not from crystal malts rather from low hopping, high mash temperatures, and kettle caramelization. A small proportion of smoked malt may add depth, though a peaty character (sometimes perceived as earthy or smoky) may also originate from the yeast and native water. Hop presence is minimal, although English varieties are most authentic. Fairly soft water is typical.

Vital Statistics:

OG: 1.070 – 1.130

IBUs: 17 – 35

FG: 1.018 – 1.056

SRM: 14 – 25

ABV: 6.5 – 10%

Commercial Examples: Traquair House Ale, Belhaven Wee Heavy, McEwan's Scotch Ale, Founders Dirty *******, MacAndrew's Scotch Ale, AleSmith Wee Heavy, Orkney Skull Splitter, Inveralmond Black Friar, Broughton Old Jock, Gordon Highland Scotch Ale, Dragonmead Under the Kilt

here is a founders dirty ******* clone attempt:

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Founders Brewing Co. - Dirty ******* Clone
Author: HG Brewing

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Strong Scotch Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 3.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.137
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.087
Final Gravity: 1.022
ABV (standard): 8.56%
IBU (tinseth): 49.96
SRM (morey): 24.85

FERMENTABLES:
11.71 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Light (81%)
1 lb - Belgian - Special B (6.9%)
8 oz - Belgian - Caramel Pils (3.5%)
8 oz - Belgian - CaraMunich (3.5%)
8 oz - Belgian - CaraVienne (3.5%)
4 oz - United Kingdom - Black Patent (1.7%)

HOPS:
2 oz - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 15.86
1.2 oz - Perle, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.2, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 15.61
1.2 oz - Perle, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.2, Use: Boil for 40 min, IBU: 13.7
1 oz - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 5, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 4.8

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temp: 150 F, Time: 45 min, Amount: 2.5 gal, mash grains
2) Temp: 150 F, Amount: 0.5 gal, rinse grains, top up to 1.5 gallons, boil, add LME, top up to 3.5 gal, boil, start hop shedule.

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 tsp - Irish Moss, Time: 15 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Wyeast - American Ale 1056
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 75%
Flocculation: Med-Low
Optimum Temp: 60 - 72 F
Fermentation Temp: 68 F
Pitch Rate: 0.5 (M cells / ml / deg P)

PRIMING:
Method: Corn Sugar
CO2 Level: 2.4 Volumes

TARGET WATER PROFILE:
Profile Name: Edinburgh (Scottish Ale, Malty Ale)
Ca2: 100
Mg2: 18
Na: 20
Cl: 45
SO4: 105
HCO3: 235
Water Notes:
Use filtered water and add salts to attain the above water profile.
NOTES:
Ferment for 7 days or until fermentation slows. Transfer to secondary and condition at 68 for 3-4 weeks. Transfer to bottling bucket, prime, and bottle.
Condition at room temp for 21 days. Chill for 3 days, enjoy.

Scottish doesn't need 8 types of malt. Maris or golden promise on its own makes a lovely wee heavy - you just need to boil for 3+hours. Challenger or ekg to about 18 ibu with a small part as a 10 minute addition, wy 1728 fermented very cool and a good maturation period to ensure no yeast is left in suspension.
If 3 hours is too long, add a bit of simpsons heritage and caramelise some runnings. A shade of roast barley can help offset the caramel sweetness but a SMASH wee heavy with the long boil can be beautifully complex.
Damn I'm looking forward to starting up again.

Legs may be evident in stronger versions, wtf?

Droid, don't worry. I've abstained from killing or dismembering anyone for a few months now, so you're (pretty) safe. You'll notice that I planned this event around full moon, however.... :ph34r:

That recipe you posted-up can't possibly be described as a Scotch Ale. 50 IBU is WAAY too high.

Manticle is absolutely right, in that a simple grain bill, low IBU & cold fermentation/conditioning with the right yeast will yield excellent results.

Let's go for it. Wee Heavy or your porter. I'm sure the funky brewers can do something with either of those, and the rest of us will enjoy fully too.

Not your fault droid. Nearly every US recipe I see tries to make complex beers with twelfty grist ingredients rather than suitable process.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Legs may be evident in stronger versions, wtf?
A term for a phenomenon apparent in boozier beers is 'legs' - a kind of lace/cling of alc droplets to the side of the glass.

MartinOC said:
Manticle is absolutely right, in that a simple grain bill, low IBU & cold fermentation/conditioning with the right yeast will yield excellent results.
This. Why not keep it simple and boil longer.

Latest posts

Back