Stone & Wood question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm a home brewer in Arizona and after reading a lot about Stone & Wood beer I would like to brew the Pacific Ale. Many clone recipes are available but I'm somewhat confused. What style is it?
The recipes all seem to use either pale ale malt or pilsner (why?) and add a smaller amount of wheat. All recipes use Galaxy hops and some use Magnum or Pacifica for bittering. So far, so good.
But the style isn't always the same. I see Australian-Style Pale Lager, American-Style Wheat Beer, Australian-Style Pale Ale, and Australian Sparkling Ale. My guess is that each brewer tweaks the recipe and style to suit their taste. I'm looking for suggestions for a recipe to start with that's close to the original.
Thanks for any help on this.

Hi Mate,

It is a refreshing beer.

This is not the recipe that the brewery use. But if you want to make a beer close to it then try this.

The original version from what I understand does not use Magnum. I added this change to the recipe to eliminate an effect that I notice when using galaxy at 60 minutes in the boil. I find a harshness that I do not like even in small quantities.

The original does not use German Pilsner. I used that because I love it and makes for a fantastic beer, and I love the colour for this beer.

I am a retailer and sell this recipe. It remains one of the bestselling recipes at the store. I made this recipe personally for a many years as it was a favourite with family and friends. I tweaked it many times until I come to this version. There is no more changes to be made, however some customers tweak to their personal preferences.
Make it.
Cheers
Steve

Pacific Ale_3_cropped.png

Brewman’s recipe is probably as good as you’ll get. As he notes his use of German pilsner malt is almost certainly not what the brewery does but if it tastes better, why not? Personally I like to use local ingredients where possible and if I were in your position would probably be looking at using a premium American pilsner malt instead.
As for why it’s classified as different styles by different people? Well probably that’s because it doesn’t quite fit any of the guidelines. It’s definitely not a lager. It’s definitely not an Australian Sparkling Ale as defined by BJCP (that would be Coopers Pale or Coopers Sparkling that fit the lower and upper bounds of those guidelines), although it is an Australian ale. A Blonde Ale (as classified by Brewman) or US Pale Ale gets close. Except of course the beer uses Australian hops (and malt usually).
Personally this isn’t one of my favourite beers. But I’m probably in the minority with my dislike of galaxy hops and I’m quite happy for others to it.

Thank you Steve for the recipe and elmo for comments. It's interesting how this beer has created so many variations.
I'm going to brew it and get a taste for myself. We have some good pilsner and wheat malts from the US northwest that I will use. Clearly, German pilsner malt may not be suitable. Unfortunately, Galaxy is in short supply up here and I'm waiting for an online supplier to get it back in stock. Must be quite popular everywhere.
Off topic, I started my brewing with a Mr. Beer (Coopers) kit way back so I owe my home brewing start to Australia.

I'm a home brewer in Arizona and after reading a lot about Stone & Wood beer I would like to brew the Pacific Ale. Many clone recipes are available but I'm somewhat confused. What style is it?
The recipes all seem to use either pale ale malt or pilsner (why?) and add a smaller amount of wheat. All recipes use Galaxy hops and some use Magnum or Pacifica for bittering. So far, so good.
But the style isn't always the same. I see Australian-Style Pale Lager, American-Style Wheat Beer, Australian-Style Pale Ale, and Australian Sparkling Ale. My guess is that each brewer tweaks the recipe and style to suit their taste. I'm looking for suggestions for a recipe to start with that's close to the original.
Thanks for any help on this.
I have made this many times and this is very close.
Use Pilsner malt.
Wheat malt 20%
Acidulated malt or other acid as required.
Galaxy @15min to 9 IBU
Galaxy Whirlpool 30min @80C to 8 IBU
Galaxy Dry Hop 4 days before kegging. Use about the same amount as was used at 15min and whirlpool.

American neutral ale yeast such as US-05

Aim for ABV 4.4% IBU 15 to 18

The trick with this beer is no early boil hop additions!

I do the same as Vic except I use Citra for the Hopstand and dry hop which is nice for a brew.

ive used brewmans recipe (slightly tweaked myself) in comps and was judged very highly. entered as a blonde ale and scored as excellent to style. scored as 37/50 and 39/50 last time i entered it.

I have made this many times and this is very close.
Use Pilsner malt.
Wheat malt 20%
Acidulated malt or other acid as required.
Galaxy @15min to 9 IBU
Galaxy Whirlpool 30min @80C to 8 IBU
Galaxy Dry Hop 4 days before kegging. Use about the same amount as was used at 15min and whirlpool.

American neutral ale yeast such as US-05

Aim for ABV 4.4% IBU 15 to 18

The trick with this beer is no early boil hop additions!
If you no chill wouldn't the IBU be higher? as already mentioned galaxy can be pretty harsh I'm still new to all grain and no chill so still trying to work things out.

If you no chill wouldn't the IBU be higher? as already mentioned galaxy can be pretty harsh I'm still new to all grain and no chill so still trying to work things out.
I have never used no chill but I expect it would be a bit higher. You could slightly reduce the 15 min addition. You won't find any "harsh" characters from the Galaxy as there are no early boil additions. If the aim is a beer similar to Stone & Wood Pacific Ale then Galaxy is the hop to use.

I have never used no chill but I expect it would be a bit higher. You could slightly reduce the 15 min addition. You won't find any "harsh" characters from the Galaxy as there are no early boil additions. If the aim is a beer similar to Stone & Wood Pacific Ale then Galaxy is the hop to use.
I got hold of Galaxy hops and getting ready to brew this. Do you still do step mashing as indicated in Brewman's recipe?

I got hold of Galaxy hops and getting ready to brew this. Do you still do step mashing as indicated in Brewman's recipe?
Depends. If using rolled oats and wheat as in Steve's recipe then yes. If using malted barley and wheat as in my recipe then there is no need to as you are using fully modified malts and will not achieve much with a stepped mash. I suggest 60min @66.7C and mash out 75.6C 10min. (optional).

Depends. If using rolled oats and wheat as in Steve's recipe then yes. If using malted barley and wheat as in my recipe then there is no need to as you are using fully modified malts and will not achieve much with a stepped mash. I suggest 60min @66.7C and mash out 75.6C 10min. (optional).
Thank you. I'm planning to use your recipe and I'll do the standard mash with mash-out. I may try Steve's recipe later and compare.

The official recipe as per an ex Stone & Wood brewer is
OG 1.043
IBU 24
60% Pils malt
40% Wheat Malt
Galaxy @ 20min – 6 IBU
Galaxy @ 10min – 9IBU
Galaxy @ 5min – 9 IBU
Galaxy @ 0min – 1.3g/L
Galaxy Dry Hop – 3g/L - 7 days
Yeast – Safale – US-05

As for style, it's a Pacific Ale