VIC. 2015 Xmas in July - Recipe.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If there's an issue with getting a "side-boil" going to caremelise a proportion of the wort, we could always do a "mini-batch" (say 60-70 Litres :D ) the night before on my rig & cube it in readiness for the next day? That's assuming the equipment-Meisters will come up on the Friday evening to get set-up.

MartinOC said:
That's assuming the equipment-Meisters will come up on the Friday evening to get set-up.
I would go as far to say Friday evening is not optional from a set-up perspective. Plus we can then make a weekend of it.

I too are up for storage and maturation ..in da whiskey barrels :kooi:

it should warm the cockle's of ya heart

I'm sure we'd organised to come up Friday arvo/night earlier on in the thread, to set up for the next day. Anyway I'll be there then Martin.

Friday's ate a must for these bummock events, set up time. Working out the kinks and all that.. I'll be there too, not sure if I'll be bringing mote than my thumb though ;)

Make sure it's calibrated before the event yeah? Wouldn't want to be putting too many or not enough thumbs worth into the boil!

So have we settled on a recipe then?

MartinOC said:
OK, I'll make the call to go for a simple Wee Heavy (since we're on the Scottish theme). Yob's got my Classic Series book atm, but I seem to remember something like:

90% Pale
9% Amber
1% Roast Barley

Aim for about 1080 & 20 IBU from EKG.

How does that sound to everyone?

idzy said:
So have we settled on a recipe then?
along those lines

Grainer said:
maybe some munich to add complexity?? and wheat for smoothness??
Nah, just leave it as-is. Let the simple malt bill & kettle caramelisation do the talking.

who is the designated kilt wearer? Going to be some significant shrinkage going on there.
and do we have a red beard?

Ed a little bit of kilt fibres and facial hair could be late additions

I think we should nominate Cocko for that, but then he's just as likely to take poetic licence with the request & turn-up in a mini-skirt (or a mankini).

I expect Mardoo to attend dressed as the Statue of Liberty (it being 4th of July 'n'all...).

Yob has the red beard already & if I grew one for the occasion, it'd be red, but not enough time....

Anyway...back to the recipe....

This is going to need around 200Kg of grain. Anyone got a trade contact for sourcing that much at a decent price?

Back