VIC. 2015 Xmas in July - Recipe.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yours was kegged (holding tank) last night and martin's pitched. One to go and we can fill the barrel.

I'm giving the in-laws as growler as is to put away till my birthday 2017 and I'll do similar with an oaked version as well.

How long to we want these on the barrel? 3 months?

Hoping to have this one finished and the last one pitched by Tuesday

Hopfully get em in the barrel next weekend

Yob said:
The warmer weather is a-comin' & Scotch Ales don't do well in the heat. If it's a new barrel, I'd guess 6-8 weeks would be more than heaps, then get it into bottles (hint, Jesse.. :p ) or kegs (if you must!) & get it cool again.

Tell ya what. I'll pull a RIS out of the other which has seen 3 months now and do an assessment for you.. Take one for the team like..

Mardoo said:
It's a well-used whiskey barrel and in a cellar. Would that change your assessment?
Nope! Any increased temperature is just going to promote further fermentation & you want this baby full & malty, not thin & alcoholic.

Yob said:
Tell ya what. I'll pull a RIS out of the other which has seen 3 months now and do an assessment for you.. Take one for the team like..
I think I want to bear your love-child!

First tasting of the bummock brew:
IMG_20151024_205647.jpg

Bottled 3 weeks ago @ 1.014, been a temp controlled bottle condition @ 23deg for 2 weeks, then dropped it to 18.

This tastes very different to the near-to-finish hydro samples - the fragrant autumn leaf / fresh turned soil type flavours/ aromas have all but gone (pity - it was very nice). These have been replaced by the deeper and richer characteristics of plum, prune and cola.

Slight amount of fusel alcohol... hopefully will dissipate with a bit more time. Definite alcohol warmth (at 12%, this is hardly surprising...)

Will wait a while for the next one, but will be eagerly looking forward to it.

Been just over a month since I pitched mine (wy1084; nearly a full cake) and it has stalled at 1.024 for 10 days now. Doing the maths this gives me an apparent attentuation of 73% which is bang on for this strain. Am a little worried though given Mofox managed to get his down to 1.014...thoughts?

Importantly though, it tastes friggen amazing. Three cheers to the Brewers!!

AJ80 said:
Been just over a month since I pitched mine (wy1084; nearly a full cake) and it has stalled at 1.024 for 10 days now. Doing the maths this gives me an apparent attentuation of 73% which is bang on for this strain. Am a little worried though given Mofox managed to get his down to 1.014...thoughts?

Mine has been 6 weeks and mine is at 1.024 as well. I'm going to rest in another day or two but I think mines done too. It's been there for about a week. I'm just being very cautious to make sure it's done before I bottle!

All of the ones I've fermented (1728) have bottomed at 1.020 which I think leaves a goodly amount of body, definitely needs the barrel to add complexity to it though. The caramelised runnings that were added is certainly noticeable and needs time to mellow, with the Whisky and tannin from the barrel will be lush.

Gents, remember that this is meant to be a BIG, luscious, malty, fireside sipper in the depths of a Scottish winter. High finishing gravities is the norm. Don't worry about it. What you get is what you get.

The sample I had at Yob's place a few days ago was VERY alcoholic & rather "burnt-caramel" in the after-taste (I'm a bit worried about this, as it may dominate as the beer matures). But it was obviously young & these things tend to mellow with age.

Whatever you get, don't over-prime it & just let it age over the next 12-18 months. This one is an exercise in patience.....

AJ80 said:

Mine was a 5th gen pitch from a "house" strain of burton ale yeast, which has become rather more attenuative in the last generations.

You should be good...

Yob said:
Yours was kegged (holding tank) last night and martin's pitched. One to go and we can fill the barrel.
I'm giving the in-laws as growler as is to put away till my birthday 2017 and I'll do similar with an oaked version as well.
Martin, yours is done, will keg it tmoz and pitch the last one

Barrel time

mofox1 said:
Nearly done. Specific gravity is finally stable at 1.016... 83% attenuation & 11.8% abv.

Bottling day will be Friday. I dropped the fermenter in the keezer last night to begin cold crash, and my 1L starter (finisher?!) should finish up today/tomorrow. I'll chill and decant the starter prior to mixing at bottling time.

I've decided I will bulk prime this one (my first, which is a risk... but hey). Brewers friend reckons about 70g (2.4g/L) to get my desired 1.7 - 1.8 vol of CO2... but that was at the last "ferment temp" of 20deg. I'm assuming that the couple of days at 1-2deg should not count, as there is no more CO2 being produced by my now inactive yeasties...

My google-fu indicates to use the highest temperature reached after fermentation has finished, any advice from the sage brewers?
How'd your carb turn out mate? I'm employing the same method, albeit for 2.0 volumes (actually 1.75 volumes to be exact as that's all the DME I have left haha). Highest ferment temp was 18C (D-rest), but was mostly at 15C so thinking I may go with that to be on the safer side. Interested to see if your method got you close?

I used Beersmith for 15C ferment temp, 15 Litres and 1.75 volumes carb target. Gives me 77.92grams of DME.

I'll add about 2.5mL of settled top cropped WY1007 yeast to this prior to adding to the secondary for bottling. Hoping that's enough to do the job!

Back