VIC. 2015 Xmas in July - Recipe.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DJ_L3ThAL said:
Mine appears to be around 1.019 (corrected refrace reading), so it very well may be at FG as the Krausen has also completely subsided. It seriously tastes amazing, must have restraint and give it another week in primary. Might re-test on Sunday with hydrometer/refrac and if stable cold crash it for a week and bottle it the following weekend. Damn it just realised gotta clean up a shite-load of bottles :-( Could always just keg half of it and have it in back of the kegerator with pluto gun for 'special moments' ;-)
So that's two weeks so far?

Need to test mine again.

Hmmm, might actually need some more time! Sitting at 1.022 (corrected 1.023 because sample is at 15C)........ oh well there is no rush I suppose. Some tiny bubbles showing some activity still happening.

1443442171102.jpg

Same here, need to finish off all the current fermentations

Nearly done. Specific gravity is finally stable at 1.016... 83% attenuation & 11.8% abv.

Bottling day will be Friday. I dropped the fermenter in the keezer last night to begin cold crash, and my 1L starter (finisher?!) should finish up today/tomorrow. I'll chill and decant the starter prior to mixing at bottling time.

I've decided I will bulk prime this one (my first, which is a risk... but hey). Brewers friend reckons about 70g (2.4g/L) to get my desired 1.7 - 1.8 vol of CO2... but that was at the last "ferment temp" of 20deg. I'm assuming that the couple of days at 1-2deg should not count, as there is no more CO2 being produced by my now inactive yeasties...

My google-fu indicates to use the highest temperature reached after fermentation has finished, any advice from the sage brewers?

11.8%!! That's awesome! This bunny is going to need a looong time before it comes good (ie. 6-12 months).

Your calc's & assumptions are correct. Carry on!

So wise people of beerland, mine seems to have stopped at 1028 after 2 1/2 weeks. It seems everyone elses has kept going down. I bumped it up to 20 from 18 for a few days. What else could I try or is it fine?

Cheers!

I pitched mine on the 4th of August (8 weeks ago)... give it time.

You could also give it a gentle swirl but try not to get it to splash around. If it hasn't moved after a week bump it up to 21, or 22.... mine stayed at 21 for most of the ferment, although I dropped it back to 20 when it hit 1.020.

Nullnvoid said:
So wise people of beerland, mine seems to have stopped at 1028 after 2 1/2 weeks. It seems everyone elses has kept going down. I bumped it up to 20 from 18 for a few days. What else could I try or is it fine?

Cheers!
Don't know if you're a kegger or not, but if you are one safe method is to reasonably gently resuspend the yeast with either carbon dioxide or nitrogen. (Of course, follow good sanitary procedures.)

Cheers

antiphile said:
Don't know if you're a kegger or not, but if you are one safe method is to reasonably gently resuspend the yeast with either carbon dioxide or nitrogen. (Of course, follow good sanitary procedures.)

Cheers
Haven't ventured down the keg road yet. So still on bottles for the moment.

Just pitched mine last night, big old whisk last night and another this morning, its jumping now on the 1728 @ 17'c smelled pretty damn good going in.

Anyone know what IBU is on it? Stuffed if I can remember

Yob said:
Just pitched mine last night, big old whisk last night and another this morning, its jumping now on the 1728 @ 17'c smelled pretty damn good going in.

Hmm 28 possibly rings a bell.

We're finally bottled.

I had measured the gravity before cold crash (@20 deg) and it was 1.016 - same reading as a week prior. Just prior to bottling (about 60 hrs later after a 1deg CC), I took another sample and allowed it to warm to ambient... and now it was showing just a whisker above 1.014. What gives?!

Still tastes fine (well - fantastic, but actually preferred the hydro samples from ~2 or 3 weeks ago), but what the hell could cause it to (appear?) to drop gravity points after a short, 2 day, cold crash?

It's a bit early in the day to RDWHAHB, but then again, great day for it (go hawks!).

Yob said:
I calculated 500L @ 31.3 IBU's, but things got a little "vague" as the day wore-on....'Can't even remember the FV...

Sweet. As long as I dint need to mini boil or add a kilo of Simcoe ;)

It's gone volcanic today and is barely contained, very tempted to top crop a bit in case I need a new active starter (or to freeze if I don't).

I still have that whisky barrel empty if a few others wish to combine and age. My second cube will be fermented right on the back of this one so a couple of weeks till I'm done and ready. Happy to keg store and await others if there is a buy in.

Orherwise, I will have a 100l whisky barrel for sale :)

Yob said:
Sweet. As long as I dint need to mini boil or add a kilo of Simcoe ;)
Philistine!

I still have that whisky barrel empty if a few others wish to combine and age. My second cube will be fermented right on the back of this one so a couple of weeks till I'm done and ready. Happy to keg store and await others if there is a buy in.

I'm IN on that one!

Orherwise, I will have a 100l whisky barrel for sale :)

'Sure you're not into distiling??

Back