VIC. 2015 Xmas in July - Recipe.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't believe I missed this entire thread earlier this year. But then again, they don't allow internet access from jail when serving 6 months for gross indecency and being drunk in charge of a kilt (and that was just from tasting the gravity sample). The brew in April was my 3rd revision/attempt, but rather close to what you in the brains trust came up with their first effort (and I'm incredibly jealous, you bastards!) Well done to all.

Mine was:

Recipe: Wee Heavy Triple-D
Style: Strong Scotch Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 53.26 l
Post Boil Volume: 45.76 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 40.00 l
Bottling Volume: 38.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.088 SG
Estimated Color: 37.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 25.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 79.2 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11.00 kg Golden Promise (6.0 EBC) Grain 1 64.9 %
4.00 kg Pale Ale Malt (2 Row) (4.0 EBC) Grain 2 23.6 %
1.50 kg Munich Malt (17.7 EBC) Grain 3 8.8 %
0.30 kg Cararoma (400.0 EBC) Grain 4 1.8 %
0.15 kg Roast Barley (1300.0 EBC) Grain 5 0.9 %
45.00 g Target [11.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 23.1 IBUs
30.00 g Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 2.3 IBUs
1.0 pkg Burton Ale (White Labs #WLP023) [35.49 m Yeast 8 -

Mash Schedule: Decoction Mash, Triple
Total Grain Weight: 16.95 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Acid Rest Add 38.50 l of water at 37.1 C 35.0 C 45 min
Protein Rest Decoct 11.44 l of mash and boil it 50.0 C 60 min
Saccharification Decoct 14.32 l of mash and boil it 64.4 C 15 min
Saccharification Decoct 6.19 l of mash and boil it 68.9 C 15 min
Mash Out Heat to 75.6 C over 10 min 75.6 C 10 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 34.23 l water at 75.6 C

I'm sure you all value the experience and learning opportunity (and the great weekend) from an event like this. And would love to see something similar in this neck of the woods. My only concern would be allowing the person who decided on the name "bummock beer" to be invited again. -_-

Lawks alordie! You did a TRIPLE decoction for a Scotch Ale????

Yep, we had a great time (if I remember correctly.... :ph34r: ).

The "Bummock" idea was coined by Yob at the previous Xmas Case Swap (he's one of those nasty, dirty, aggressive Scottish bastards, y'know...) & I got talked into hosting it on one of the coldest, wettest weekends possible. We survived....with T-Shirts to prove it:

DSCN1271.JPG

MartinOC said:
Lawks alordie! You did a TRIPLE decoction for a Scotch Ale????
Well, yeah. But it wasn't a 1000 litre brew! :p I'm sure you'll let the yob down gently, though, so he doesn't get too upset next July. :;

Edit added (9:50 pm): Some small adjustments were needed to make out the faces. There are some really unattractive characters in there, Martin. No wonder the OG was so high.
Bummock.jpg

Update on mine, OG was 1.096, slammed it into the FV, shot 2L of O2 through a sintered stone, pitched ~400mL of Wyeast 1007 into the wort at around 17C. Had Krausen within 7 hours, WOW. Tasted the wort, so silky, so caramely... mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

MartinOC said:
If you've got a spare fermenter, the easiest way is to dump a bit of the Bummock cube into the original fermenter & swirl/shake the crap out of it to loosen-off the original cake & introduce oxygen, then dump the rest in with MAX aeration. LOTS & LOTS of aeration!

The next day (at least 12 hours later - by this time, it should be well on it's way), transfer/dump (& I mean VIGOROUSLY DUMP!) the whole lot into your freshly clean/sanitised second fermenter. The reason for the 12 hours is that you want at least one cell-division (ie. a doubling of the yeast population), which gives you a good start on such a high-gravity beer.

Leave it alone to do it's jiggy-jiggy thang....
Ok so yesterday after I finished bottling I got rid of the rest of the stout from the cake. Couldn't get it all but it was only a small amount. And then from a great height I poured the cube in. Lots of air went in and gave it a good stir up too.

I was quite surprised today at how active it was right of the bat. I thought it wasn't going to go that quick.

Anyway just finished pouring from one fermenter in to another clean one. Had another spastic attack (is that politically correct) with the spoon and really gave it what for.

So now I wait. I shouldn't have to touch it again?

Id go another agitation 12-24 hrs later and then again (triple aeration).

I'm triple oxygenating this. 1007 is an animal. Started at 17C now 15C. Came to do 2nd squirt of O2 before and its jumping out of the fermenter! While oxygenating the krausen started rising out so took the opportunity to top crop for the first time. Got my fresh yeast for bottling time now :)

1442120543704.jpg

1442120555562.jpg

Howdy Lethal

May I suggest a differing opinion from Fermentis' Tips & Tricks booklet:

Oxygen should only be added in the first twelve hours of fermentation (9 ppm). Adding oxygen during late fermentation will increase aldehyde levels and amplify diacetylformation. High levels of oxygen will suppress ester production.
Of course, the assumption here is that oxygenation equals aeration. Cheers.

Gents, I've gotta agree with antiphile on this one. 12-18 hours (max.) after the initial pitch & then leave it alone.

MartinOC said:
Gents, I've gotta agree with antiphile on this one. 12-18 hours (max.) after the initial pitch & then leave it alone.
I was nervous to touch it after 12-24 hours. If you say to leave it then I'm happy with that.

antiphile said:
Howdy Lethal

May I suggest a differing opinion from Fermentis' Tips & Tricks booklet:

Of course, the assumption here is that oxygenation equals aeration. Cheers.
Thanks antiphile! You have saved me going Oxy-crazy. I did my 2nd dose at 17 hours, bit more than 12 but better than at 36 no doubt. Will leave it be!

Also thinking I need to 'adjust' my fridge setting or stick the STC probe into my fermenting as opposed to sticking on the side, my IR gun tells me centre of the ferment liquid (through the gladwrap) was 18C, but the fridge was set to 16C. Quite the exothermic reaction!

MartinOC said:
Not if you want to keep them in growth, the trick is to keep a supply of oxygen in there for them. You don't want them swapping from aerobic to anaerobic and back again, if you can keep them in growth, do it.

I think my yeast has been in Super Saiyan mode since this morning, so doing anything is probably not having much of an effect, LOL!

Yob said:
Not if you want to keep them in growth, the trick is to keep a supply of oxygen in there for them. You don't want them swapping from aerobic to anaerobic and back again, if you can keep them in growth, do it.
I disagree. Keeping them in growth phase is just like making a huge starter. At some point, you're going to have to let them get on with fermentation.

MartinOC said:
I disagree. Keeping them in growth phase is just like making a huge starter. At some point, you're going to have to let them get on with fermentation.
yep, but a starter can go for up to 36hrs with no negative effects on the yeast (in most situations, I agree, it doesn't need that though)

God the ferment smells good! Holding off taking a sample and taster for at least 7 days, it's hard!!!!!!!

Faark. So this happened. Currently sitting at 1.018 with a ridiculously high > 81% apparent attenuation.

PLEASE STOP FERMENTING.

Pitched 6 weeks ago now...

1442494100535.jpg

Yob said:
And taste?
Divine.

Silky smooth, rich & earthy. Vaguely... peaty? There are some delicate flavours/aromas in there, kind of like the smell of crushed autumn leaves: in a herby, earthy, light tannic sort of way.

But srsly... I can't bottle you if you won't stop fermenting... so stop it!

Back