VIC. 2015 Xmas in July - Recipe.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10 days in, and it's only dropped to ~1.055 (from 1.098).

Time to pitch more yeast, or leave it alone and rdwhahb? I've got an active 3L starter of greenbelt handy (pitched 1.5 days ago)...

Relax, mate. This one is going to take awhile. Revisit in 2-3+ weeks.

In the meantime, listen to Whale-song CD's & drink pure spring water, filtered through your current favourite combination of malt & hops.... :p

MartinOC said:
drink pure spring water, filtered through your current favourite combination of malt & hops.... :p
I like that alot. You should print that on some t-shirts or hoodys. Id buy one.

Got my Altbier bubbling away with yeast 1007 at 15C building up shiteloads of yeast slurry for the wee heavy. Excited the process is on the way!

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Got my Altbier bubbling away with yeast 1007 at 15C building up shiteloads of yeast slurry for the wee heavy. Excited the process is on the way!
Are you going tip your Wee onto your Shiteloads of Slurry in current fermenter? I'm bottling a Scottish /80- on Fri. I was just going to change the tap on the fermenter, crack the Wee and tip about a 1l onto the cake. Agitate the Sheisen out of it, then tip the rest in, allowing plenty more agitation. Then give the fermenter another decent shaking in the morning. Does that sound ok?

'Not sure I get what you mean by "change the tap on the fermenter"? Here's a thought (assuming everything you're doing is sanitary):

1. Draw-off your 80/- (I'm assuming into a 2nd fermenter with a tap, so it's been sanitised). Bottle it.
2. Rinse out the 2nd fermenter & give it another swish with starsan etc.. (also through the tap)
3. Crack the wee-heavy, add some of it to the 1st fermenter to loosen-up the cake, then dump the whole lot in with lots of "sheizen-agitation".
4. Dump the whole lot back (more sheisen agitation) into the (now clean & sanitised) 2nd fermenter the next day.
5. RDWHAHB.

Damn said:
Are you going tip your Wee onto your Shiteloads of Slurry in current fermenter? I'm bottling a Scottish /80- on Fri. I was just going to change the tap on the fermenter, crack the Wee and tip about a 1l onto the cake. Agitate the Sheisen out of it, then tip the rest in, allowing plenty more agitation. Then give the fermenter another decent shaking in the morning. Does that sound ok?
I am going to rack the altbier to a keg (for lagering period), then harvest "an" amount of slurry (was gonna try a yeast calc and then found it up a bit more to nearest 500mL of slurry. Will clean and santize the fermenter and pitch the slurry (i just dont like the idea of dumping onto a cake or not having a freshly sanitized fermenter to pitch into.

Also I'm borrowing a friends O2 setup so will be trying oxygenation for the first time on this wee heavy!

I was only going to use the original fermenter, just change the tap over for a clean one. But your Idea, Martin, is better.

mofox1 said:
10 days in, and it's only dropped to ~1.055 (from 1.098).

Time to pitch more yeast, or leave it alone and rdwhahb? I've got an active 3L starter of greenbelt handy (pitched 1.5 days ago)...
Two weeks more and we're down to 1.034... From the yeast I'm using I've had 85%AA from a OG 1.058, 79%AA from some 1.080's, so I reckon at best I'll be seeing an OG around 1.024 to 1.026 (~72%AA).

Tasting damn fine from the hydro samples.

Any recommendations for adding fresh yeast for bottling?

Why add fresh yeast? The main yeast wouldn't be that cooked it couldnt carbonate surely?

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Why add fresh yeast? The main yeast wouldn't be that cooked it couldnt carbonate surely?
With something this big, it's a good idea to add a little fresh yeast at bottling to help continue to age it &/or scavenge any leftover oxygen in the bottles.

Edit: Unless, like Yob (the wild, untamed, red-bearded Scot that he is!), you choose to quaff your 10% Scotch-Ales directly from a keg??

Just so......frightfully uncouth......

Sounds kike a reasonable plan (not quaffing from the keg!!). Would a tiny drop of healthy slurry from a yeast vial (harvested from a settled started) be a good idea? Or fresh fresh ie. Some yeast direct from a wyeast or white labs pack?

For those that didn't know, Whiteferret dumped the last runnings of the big brew into my 70L boiler before the cleaning-up after the Bummock. I boiled it the next day with 70g of EKG & cubed it with 50g of Bramling Cross in one of the cubes. I ended-up with 56L @ 1059(!!) & estimated mid-20's IBU's.

I dumped the cubes on top of the cake left-over from another brew I did with WLP 013 (London) on Friday & just dropped it into a secondary to clean it up. In less than an hour, it's thrown a new krausen head.

Pretty happy for something that was otherwise going to be dumped... :D

MartinOC said:
Edit: Unless, like Yob (the wild, untamed, red-bearded Scot that he is!), you choose to quaff your 10% Scotch-Ales directly from a keg??

Just so......frightfully uncouth......
Excuse me my good man.. Mine will be barrel aged...

Then kegged...

Yob said:
Excuse me my good man.. Mine will be barrel aged...

Then kegged...
Your self-restraint is improving, Yob. I expected you to be doing a lay-back under the fermenter tap on day-5.... :chug:

Carry on.

Back