VIC. 2015 Xmas in July - Recipe.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes.. Yes I do..

Tap 1 - RIS
Tap 2 - Bummock Ale
Tap 3 - Pale/IPA

Sounds like a pretty respectable line-up ;)

Keep in mind my previous RIS didn't make 6 months of age and was divine..

We aren't constrained to aging these days to cover up flaws in the beer, our malts are a world different to those of yesteryear

MartinOC said:
That would be the (Ahem!) "slight" miscalculation in the amount of RB in the recipe. On the Friday night, I handed Whiteferret my entire stash of RB in a bucket (about 5Kg). He thought that was the amount needed for the recipe & dumped the lot into the hopper. Luckily, I caught it before it went through the mill & we pulled it out by the handful & guessed the 2Kg required....
Ahh friday night, good times.

5kg in 200kg seemed reasonable to me :ph34r:

Anyone else chucked the Wee Heavy in a fermenter and checked the gravity? I thought we got to an OG of 1100 but when I took a hydrometer reading after dumping into the fermenter I was reading 1090.this was at 18 degrees just prior to pitching. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1437364134.902434.jpg

Pitched mine last night (Burton ale yeast). 21L @ 1.098 - hydro sample tasted divine.

Most aerating (cube & fermenter shaking/twisting/kicking/etc) I've ever done. Now feel like I spent the whole arvo splitting the winter supply of wood.

Yob said:
could be worthwhile doing a few aerations 4-6 hours apart.. I know it helps with my RIS's
According to the "Yeast" book (Pg. 83-84), there's no point in adding extra oxygen until at least 12 hours after the original pitch with high-gravity worts, as you want the little beasties to achieve at least one cell-division before adding more. Anything before that won't achieve the best result.

Edit: After that, just leave it alone to get on with the job.

Unfamiliar with the scottish ale style and I didn't know what to brew to use as cake for this beast. So I sampled a couple, Founders 'Dirty *******' & 'Curmudgeon' Faaarrrrking xlnt! So i've just brewed a Scottish 80/- (1.056) with 15g US-05 pitched today. So I'm going to let that ferment over the next 3 weeks. So once I've completed bottling do I just dump the 'Wee Heavy' onto the cake? Or do I need to stir it? Then after 12hrs how do I give it more oxygen?

Correct, aerate at pitching and then again in 6 (or 12 hours)

With anything over 1.090, always double or triple aeration.

I dunno about this only after 12 hours business.. If that was the case we wouldn't use stirplates to provide continuous o2

Probably the subject for a different topic though.. ;)

Damn said:
snip... Then after 12hrs how do I give it more oxygen?
You could prolly dump your aerated wort onto the yeast cake. Personally I don't beleive a small amount of beer left behind from the 1056 beer will be noticeable in your wee heavy if you pitched onto the slurry. That lager from the case swap had 3 ltrs of old beer on it, you'd never taste it in a wee heavy. I mixed my trub up with some filtered water, swirled it around to get it off the bottom. Poured it out into a pan and fridged it to drop the yeast out of suspension, poured that water from the top down the sink and added some fresh filtered water or cooled boiled water. (Ed and then repeated) the dumped it at room temp onto the aerated wee heavy.
For aerating I bought an aquarium pump for $20 off flea bay and it does a great job. But again, maybe incorrectly I did a full aeration at pitching time then around 4 hours later, then 6 hours later or something, the next day it was charging I didn't bother aerating again and it got down to 1024 or something before being added to my bourbon barrel so will never know what terminal Gravity would have been.

Think i may try the shaking and splashing method after 12hrs. It could end in tears.

Are you going to just pop lid and stir ? How long for? By hand or Machine?

manticle said:
1007 might work well.
I've never used 1007, nor have I fermented an Altbier yet!

I've got 1007 waiting for an Altbier cube, do you think that would work well as a pre-brew to doing this (pitching the scotch ale onto the cake or a large amount of the slurry in a new clean fermenter), or would the Altbier be too dark? If I ferment the Altbier cold around 15-17C, would I do the same for this or bump temp up to 20C to ensure plenty of activity?

Awesome, thanks! Will spin up my 1007 starter soon. In your experience will I receive the same effect if I rack the Altbier to secondary for the lagering time, and use the yeast slurry to start the scottish ale? Or even at the real cold lagering temps are there benefits still occurring from the yeast cake?

If I'm going to cold condition for anywhere above anout 2 weeks, I will usually transfer to cube and seal, mostly to get as bright and clean a beer as possible (appearance and taste wise).

As with all beers, I wait till fg + a few days before chilling and taste the beer first.

Back