VIC. 2015 Xmas in July - Recipe.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well my plan is this:

use 600 ml of slurry from RIS brew (now in bourbon barrel - hoorah!)
this will apparently give me 11bill over
it is London Ale and its threshold is 10%

pitch and aerate at 10am
Aerate again at 2pm
Aerate again at 6pm
Aerate again at 4am (when I get up)

Ferment at 18

With a few points left pop it in the barrel and condition with first brew
Ok?
Not ok?

Generally better to use yeast from a lower abv brew and paler than the one you're doing next.

manticle said:
Generally better to use yeast from a lower abv brew and paler than the one you're doing next.
Yep, exactly Manticle. That's why I made the suggestion earlier to make a similar "starter-brew", ferment it out, then pitch this fella onto the cake.

Also why I suggested to Tahoose to rinse the 1084 from his previous stout before use on this one.

As a general rule, go up in gravity & colour if you're re-pitching onto cakes. Don't be afraid of over-pitching with something this big - it'll need it.

the abv is lower in the first brew for a couple of reasons but it won't be paler...but then I've washed it twice?

what will the darker colour do?

I still have 50% of a barrel to fill (after this beer goes in) and was hoping this brew could go in coz I don't want 100 ltrs @ 10% (approx) let alone another 20ltrs of 10% on top

droid said:
the abv is lower in the first brew for a couple of reasons but it won't be paler...but then I've washed it twice?

what will the darker colour do?

I still have 50% of a barrel to fill (after this beer goes in) and was hoping this brew could go in coz I don't want 100 ltrs @ 10% (approx) let alone another 20ltrs of 10% on top
Washing/rinsing will clean-up the yeast cake of dead cells - good.

Darker colour will affect the parameters of this brew- bad.

'Not sure what you're getting at with this last point? What are you filling the barrel with? What's your plan for the contents of the barrel?

The brew is going to be 100 ltrs of strong dark beer aged in the barrel and getting oak and bourbon flavours from it. I can't do a 100 ltr batch in one go, not even 50 (though I am getting that sorted for the next brew day) this brew barrel will be three or four brews that will hopefully hit somewhere around the 10% abv. This bummock brew being the palest but good in abv. The first brew that went in is black and was supposed to be 9.7% but came in at 8.75%. So the combined abv will be about 9.3

The other half will be one big batch of an RIS style or two smaller batches...

It is a work in progress, the first batch came out a bit low in abv, a bit thin for my tastes and I miscalculated the ibu, it's too bitter I'm treating it like a soup, tasting as I go and making changes to get the desired result

Is there a place for the bummock in my barrel? I do have some more abv tolerant yeast coming this week though I read that this yeast is used for RIS, secondl only to porters

The bummock beer would only represent one fifth of the total vol
?

Go for it, mate! It's YOUR barrel & what you want to achieve from it.

It sounds like you're mixing a few different brews, but if they're all good, strong, "clean" ferments, I see no reason to doubt the final outcome.

cheers Martin, the plan is to brew, blend, taste, age, brew, blend, taste, age...

decant, blend, not blend etc

Abv wise - if pitching into a high gravity wort, you want plenty of healthy yeast. Alcoholic environments are toxic to yeast so reusing yeast from a high gravity wort in another high gravity wort means you may be pitching stressed yeast into an environment that will stress them more. Better to get fresh stuff and build the numbers. If you were repitching from a mild or blond or something it would be a different story.

Another thing learned - ok thanks for the explanation manticle. I've brought the bummock beer up to pitching/ferment temp as today was the day, am I risking infection by it sitting at 18 deg for maybe another 4 days before more yeast gets here? Should I drop it back down to fridge temp or leave it at 18?

Cheers

You haven't opened the cube have you? If it's still sealed and the no chilling practice was good (sanitary clean cubes, hot wort, squeezed air) then no drama.
If it is unsealed, pitch whatever yeast straight away and get more in there as soon as you can.

Nah nah she's all sealed up still. I just popped the cube into the fridge and brought it up to 18. I think I'll bring it down to 15 and pitch at that temp letting it rise to 17 or 18. Depending on the yeast I order today I spose.

Cheers

That's how I usually do it and like the results. Fermentation will generate some heat and often higher gravity worts even more so.
Good plan.

Damn. Plan A is arsed.

Seems like WLP004 - Irish Ale yeast isn't a fantastic attenuator... Tastes brilliant in my Irish Red I kegged yesterday, but I had forgotten that it had only got down to 1.020 from 1.057, making it around 65%. Still, I've got 2L of slurry I'll wash for more reds or similar.

On the other hand, I consistently get at least 80% from WLP023 - Burton Ale (or at least my house variant now). That should get the swap cube down to 1.020... Good thing I've got another cube of an ESB to use as a starter :)

Yeah my first go with the wyeast Irish ale only went down from 1:062 - 1:020, think I had the temp a little cool at 17c though...

1.024 today
image.jpg

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Looks like a hot chocolate consistency! Awesome!
That would be the (Ahem!) "slight" miscalculation in the amount of RB in the recipe. On the Friday night, I handed Whiteferret my entire stash of RB in a bucket (about 5Kg). He thought that was the amount needed for the recipe & dumped the lot into the hopper. Luckily, I caught it before it went through the mill & we pulled it out by the handful & guessed the 2Kg required....

droid said:
Tasted goooood
It's just gonna get better... :super:

Yob said:
And at about %11 it's gunna be killer
...and you want to put this on tap....?????? :blink:

Back