Dropping Temp Query

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trenta

Reaction score
Hi all
I'm making a Coopers True Aussie Bitter and it states the following:
We recommend pitching Lager yeast at 22C-24C then allowing the brew to drop to as low as 13C over the next day or so.
Might be a silly question but how does that look???
I ferment using a fridge that is temp controlled.
Thanks 👍

Seems to be something that's not uncommon, because dropping your temp down to 13ºC at pitching isn't that easy, unless you've got good really refrigeration. The thinking is that the yeast will go into growth phase at the initial temperature, and then ferment cleanly at the lower temperature.
I've done it myself, but I feel I got the best results from chilling to 10ºC ( I have a commercial fridge, so it's really quick to chill down) and then pitching a large amount of yeast, equivalent to at least 2 or 3 smakpacks (grown up on the stir plate).
Either way, you'll make beer.

Seems to be something that's not uncommon, because dropping your temp down to 13ºC at pitching isn't that easy, unless you've got good really refrigeration. The thinking is that the yeast will go into growth phase at the initial temperature, and then ferment cleanly at the lower temperature.
I've done it myself, but I feel I got the best results from chilling to 10ºC ( I have a commercial fridge, so it's really quick to chill down) and then pitching a large amount of yeast, equivalent to at least 2 or 3 smakpacks (grown up on the stir plate).
Either way, you'll make beer.
Pitch at 23 and drop the temp to 13 on the temp controller after 24 hours?

FERMENTATION: Ideally at 12-15°C (53.6-59°F). Good results can be achieved up to 19°C. I start at 15 and ferment at 12-13.

Just to add to that, I have been fermenting lager at around 10-14 degrees the last couple of weeks. Is there any other beers I can ferment now winter has set in??? ie Ale, bitter, Pilsener etc etc etc??

Sure can Mick.
There are a few styles of beer where the yeast provides specific flavour and aroma. I'm think of styles like Belgian ales and German wheat beers.
Besides those, you can brew most styles of beer with your lager yeast. It will just take you twice as long to ferment at low temps and your beer is more likely to have neutral yeast aromas, so it's absolutely fine for many beers brewed at ale temps.

Sure can Mick.
There are a few styles of beer where the yeast provides specific flavour and aroma. I'm think of styles like Belgian ales and German wheat beers.
Besides those, you can brew most styles of beer with your lager yeast. It will just take you twice as long to ferment at low temps and your beer is more likely to have neutral yeast aromas, so it's absolutely fine for many beers brewed at ale temps.
Ok cool!! Thanks bradmcm.

Back