VIC. 2015 Xmas in July - Recipe.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Currently at 1.018. WLP028 has cracked the 10% mark and still chugging away. Aroma of the samples is just pure evil! Can't wait!

Was meant to be coming and collecting the club shirt but it's the sister in laws birthday dinner. Can't wait to sample it!

Ah bugger, the boys have swimming tomorrow so unless I scoot down later on I'll miss out on the tastings. Bet it's delicious!

Nullnvoid said:
Ah bugger, the boys have swimming tomorrow so unless I scoot down later on I'll miss out on the tastings. Bet it's delicious!
It's delicious and wicked evil! Rangy, rude and off its head like a 14-year old in a UDL warehouse. Needs a bit of time to come to its senses IMO. However, when it wakes up and shakes off the hangover (causing aspects) of its youth, we shall call it Dominator.

Midnight Brew said:
Currently at 1.018. WLP028 has cracked the 10% mark and still chugging away. Aroma of the samples is just pure evil! Can't wait!
Wow, mine's flatlined at 1.026. Haven't checked for a few days, but I don't think it'll have moved since. I used WLP028 also and the entire yeast cake from a previous beer. Bit sad it hasn't dropped more - I'd guess 1.020-22 would be perfecto for this.
Is 1.018 a fraction too dry?

1.018 to 1.020 was the sweet spot during ferment for me (based on hydro samples)... ended up at 1.014 and it wasn't as great then as it was at '18.

After three months in the bottle it was bloody perfect though. Reminds me... it's been another two months... time for another "sample"... :)

Sodding sod. 1.26 is far too high then. Looks like I'll have to pull out a few rousing techniques.
Lazy fkn Scottish yeast. The feckers were keen to blaze thru the first 30-40 points and blow mess everywhere, now they're all boozy and have fallen asleep. Bastards.

It does smell and taste like malt awesomeness, though. So they've done well there at least.

MB, what do you mean just the aroma smells great? Aren't you tasting your hydro samples?!?

After a week of rousing yeast (i.e.: swishing the FV around a little, a few times) i have the following result:
1) SG seems to have not budged - i thought it had dropped 2 points a few days ago, but gave the same previous reading last night, 1.026.
Sad Face.
2) I have a mold infection creeping around the top lip, and seems to have *maybe* put a few little colonies onto the surface.
Double Sad Face.

So i transferred it to another FV, left ~500mL behind, which hopefully contained all the surface thingies, and i'll wait and see if the infection has been avoided spoiling the whole batch.
Unfortunately it was a tragic story about laziness and stupidity. When the Yeast blew through the top a few weeks ago, i left some of the residue on the top of the FV. It looks like that's probably provided a starting point for the yeast, maybe. No obvious signs, but i'm guessing it would've helped get the mild established; or a bug/fruit-fly got under my glad-wrap after my rubber band broke.
So clean up after yeasty overflows, and double band the glad-wrap, seems to be the learning points here for me. :(

On the plus side, IF the infection has been avoided, the transfer *may've* roused the yeasties.

Dammit! Hope the wee brew pulls through ok Mr Techno.

Mate, if you have to drink it in a hurry ( and I'm suggesting you should) yo are gunna be one sorry techno dude..

Impromptu BBQ I suggest, get 25 folks over and smash it...

Yob said:
Mate, if you have to drink it in a hurry ( and I'm suggesting you should) yo are gunna be one sorry techno dude..

Wee heavy marinated pork spit... :icon_drool2:

Should we start the list here? :D

Yob said:

You really are one hopeless Dipso!

If you get 25 people over to smash it, you'll just end-up with 25 people smashed.

Crucifiction? Good! One pint each, third door on the left.

Edit: Spelling.

Back