VIC. 2015 Xmas in July - Recipe.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can visualise Tecno's back-yard awash with puddles of "peas & carrots", strewn with bodies in the foetal position calling for their mothers. :icon_vomit:

Don't want a cube of infected Wee Heavy, do you? No?

Mine's fkd. Mthafka!! V fkn annoyed. Still tastes awesome out of the FV, but it's got another film across the top already. The transfer to a 2nd FV seems to have done nothing, other than ensure the infection is definitely now thru the beer.

So. Fkn. Annoyed.

Drinking!

But I normally have AFDs during the weekdays.
Do you know how hard it is to just keep smashing down glasses of Wee Heavy on school nights?!?

FWP !

technobabble66 said:
Don't want a cube of infected Wee Heavy, do you? No?

Mine's fkd. Mthafka!! V fkn annoyed. Still tastes awesome out of the FV, but it's got another film across the top already. The transfer to a 2nd FV seems to have done nothing, other than ensure the infection is definitely now thru the beer.

So. Fkn. Annoyed.
Have you thought about trying to pasturise it to kill off the infection and stop it getting any worse? It won't get rid of any off flavours already but it might help you be able to consume it over a longer period!!

Aah, you don't think heating a beer to 70-80*c won't completely screw it up??
Eg: volatize off various flavour and aroma compounds, plus alcohol, and cook whatever yeast is in suspension.
I'd be happy to try if you think it should work.
Hell, it might solve the attenuation problem: drop the alc% down to 2-3% and allow a 2nd yeast batch to attenuate it down to, say 1.008.
I must admit I was wondering if I could boil a few liters down to make a sauce or caramel syrup :drool:

Or just feed it to Mardoo.

I'm not sure how Martin will handle the sacrilege of drinking it without at least 1 year of conditioning, let alone straight out of the FV

technobabble66 said:
I'm not sure how Martin will handle the sacrilege of drinking it without at least 1 year of conditioning, let alone straight out of the FV
It's OK Stu, I've become de-sensitised & conditioned (pardon the obvious pun) to such barbaric, troglodyte practices from spending too much time around Yob.

Why, just the other day Martin pulled a keg of week-old Belgian quad out of his nose and poured and offered me a frothy flagon.

Erm...that wasn't a Belgian Quad I pulled out of my nose Mardoo. I thought the colour would've been a dead giveaway, but you seemed to savour it nonetheless.. :ph34r:

How well do these bugs survive higher temps?
I was under the impression many die at 80+*C but spores may survive.
Would I need to do the triple cook thing?

I've heard of folks having success bottling in stubbies and running them through a hot dishwasher. That was for mead to stop ferment. Haven't done it myself.

In my searches I haven't been able to find mention of yeasts that can survive temps above about 60C for any length of time. If you want to give your washer a go and want to find out how hot the beer would get, fill three stubbies with water and run them through the cycle, pulling one out at the end of the wash, one the rinse, and one the dry and check the temp of the water inside the bottle as soon as you pull it out. .

Back