Se Qld Case Swap Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the comments. The brew day when I brewed my scotch comes streaming back. It was my second mash, the wind picked up and my mate come over to watch. Let's say the 4 ring burner took 4 ever and things didn't go as planned. Glad it worked out drinkable would love to try a traquair house ale for comparison. Traquair age there's in old whisky barrels. So when I come back to trying this one again I think aged on some oak chips will be the go as there seams to be a space for a little something in the beer.
Looking forward to having tomorrow night off so I can get stuck into my swaps.

7. Florian - HefeRoggen 7%

For some reason I initially thought that this was susposed to be a weizenbock, and was going to waffle forth about body etc, luckly I checked before making a tool of myself.
Poured with a medium, quickly vanishing head and golden/orange body (similar to a Schneider Weiss). Big banana and spice aroma. Flavour is big, banana - no mistaking this is a hefeweizen - with a medley of other spices in the background; a slick, almost viscious mouthfeel rounds out the experience. It was only after drinking half of it I remembered drinking and discussing this beer with Florian during the later part of the swap. A good, well-made beer mate, it would have been a much easier drinking beer with a slightly lower % rye component - but it was enjoyable non-the-less savouring it slowly on a cold night watching the footy. (do a weizenbock next) :icon_cheers:

I hope to be drinking the last ones at the end of the week - TP, NickB's lagerboy, Wallaces' and Jamesons' ones to go I think.
Been a really good array of beers this swap, thanks guys :icon_cheers:
(now if we can just stop people pulling out at the last moment :angry: )

Two more for feedback:

TidalPete: Bottle was rock hard, in fact I was nearly too scared to even try and squeeze it. Poured it into a jug as carefully as I could but being so overcarbed there was a lot of head :) After it had settled for a bit it there was a lovely toffee and raisin aroma. Taste is well balanced, with a strong malt backbone to support it. Not sure on the ABV but if it's higher than 5% the alcohol is very well hidden. Enjoyed this one Pete, a nice drop!

Parks: Opposite problem of TidalPete's this was undercarbed. Pours a very dark red / brown with good clarity. Initial tastes were restrained (fridge is probably too cold!) but as it warms the malt flavours really start to shine. A little bit of alcohol warmth present but not hot or enough to put it out of balance. Hard to put this one down, each sip is enjoyable and buttery smooth. My guess is a good whack of Caraaroma to achieve the flavours present, lots of dark raisin flavours and full-bodied. Again, another one I really enjoyed.

Not that I needed more reason, but after this case swap my list of beers I want to brew keeps growing longer. Anyone want to lend me a liver and provide me a few months of spare time? :)

I knocked over a few on Saturday while watching the Wobblies drop the ball a lot :(
Apologies for not keeping notes for decent feedback.

TidalPete - Peaceandplenty Wee-Wee Heavy
A good well constructed beer thanks Pete, gassy bottle but it seemed to end up with a low carbed mouthfeel after the head died back :blink: , malt driven, easily consumed beer while shouting at the TV. A lighter mouthfeel than its fellow traveller. Good stuff.
Jameson- Traquair house ale clone
Pretty much the same as above, slightly higher crystal malt aroma, quite low carbonation level, and a fuller mouthfeel than Pete's but worked in a good way. Quite pleased to have both of these. I'd be keen to try your next version.
Daemon - Choc Porter or Baltic Porter
Sorry Tim, it was good but really can't recall too much other than thinking it was quite pleasant, would score well in a BJCP comp, and could have used a bit more choc for my tastes. I'll do a better descriptor with the other one you left.

Well that's a coincidence. I ran out of beer tonight and was hurting for a beer, and went to the case swap leftovers. Didn't fancy a rauch, another one had been put on by a gorilla and couldn't get the top off so I went for number 5 - drank it hot and it hit the spot beautifully - just like a pint in the pub back home. Bloody nice.

Good job Pete. A little gassy but IMHO any beer that can deliver the goods hot is a sound beer with a heart of oak.

Any more where that came from???

Was just rearranging the keg fridge when I found Daemons porter stashed in the door where I put it after I froze it :eek: . Reminds me why the swaps are so good to go in.
Great beer Tim, beautiful malt and hops with an underlying dried fruit (plums) in the background this is then followed by the bitterness that I initially thought was from hops but as the flavour diminishes it is more the bitterness you get with dark chocolate.

Delicious!

Cheers Brad

Back