How to dispose of spent grains?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of the above for me:

step 1. add armful of grist to bread dough plus whatever yeast I'm pitching
step 2. rehydrate the rest with a little water and yeast
step 3. distil one week later and age spirit on dark oak
step 4. throw to chooks once cooled
step 5. rake up what they leave add to compost
step 6. fertilise cascade plants with compost with a generous scoop of wood ash
step 7. Vermont IPA time!

I made the mistake of using them like compost around my young trees - killed a Blackwood and made a couple of others sick. They seem to rot with mildew and become sour. I just spread it around on the grass now for the birds to eat.

Rice hulls do not seem to have high food value .
No food value whatsoever, even composting takes time because of the high silica, probably better of burning.
I made the mistake of using them like compost around my young trees - killed a Blackwood and made a couple of others sick. They seem to rot with mildew and become sour. I just spread it around on the grass now for the birds to eat.
High acid content, better off composting down to a safer level for the garden.

Dog treats: 4 cups drained spent grain: 2 cups flour: 2 eggs: 1 cup unsalted peanut butter. Form into little biscuits and place on a scone tray. Heat 30min at 180degC and then turn oven off and leave treats in the oven until cool (at least 2 hrs)
We used coconut flour yesterday and it seemed to absorb the moisture of the wet grain better. A bucket goes to neighbour's chooks and the rest ends up in the compost / rat food.
Dog treat in action:
IMG_3766.JPG IMG_3762.JPG

Recycling grain. I’ve scored work for Viterra for the harvest season here in Port Lincoln, I asked a bloke today about disposing of the grain dust, he told me it goes to various farms for disposal/ dumping. He also told me of one farmer who uses it to build up the soil in a shitty area of his farm and is getting good results from it. Win win.

I just recently had to get rid of 150kg from a collaboration brew.

Stuck it on a buy swap sell site on Facebook and it was gone in minutes. People went bat shit crazy. Thinking I need to sell it next time!

Dog treats: 4 cups drained spent grain: 2 cups flour: 2 eggs: 1 cup unsalted peanut butter. Form into little biscuits and place on a scone tray. Heat 30min at 180degC and then turn oven off and leave treats in the oven until cool (at least 2 hrs)
We used coconut flour yesterday and it seemed to absorb the moisture of the wet grain better. A bucket goes to neighbour's chooks and the rest ends up in the compost / rat food.
Dog treat in action:
View attachment 109341 View attachment 109342
Beautiful dog on the right mate.

My gsp eats spent grains straight from the bucket if if don't watch her

Thaks for the tip, I'll be mixing ag lime in with mine then compost it.

Lol. Is it just me or do the faces of the dogs look a little like "Wtf's the deal with just 1 shitty biscuit?!?"
I'm not sure they're selling it well, dude [emoji6].
Or I suppose they could be more thinking "C'mon dude, take the goddamn photo, we're starving here!!"
Very funny. Gotta love dogs! [emoji41]

Find some nearby neighbours with chickens! People a few houses up have chooks so I take mine up there b

I put them straight onto the garden. A little bit gets to sit and the rest is eaten by birds

Throw some around your hydrangea plants to acidify the soil and make them go blue. It's about the right time of the year for it.

I have 2 large dogs and usually buy 8kg bags of dog food. I just keep the bags once I'm finished with them and Chuck my used grain in that, tape it up and put it in the bin. No flies, no smells, no wuckas!

Fussy chooks mate, mine know the tub I carry it in and come running when I take it down the chook yard.

Our chooks start to line up when they get the whiff of mash in.

WJ

I put 5kg on the garden once and my labrador ate the lot over the course of a few days. Then distributed it around the lawn in little piles of 90% undigested grain.

Santa left me a book on sustainable brewing for Christmas. It's an interesting read and has a few suggested recipes for spent grain.

My favourite experiment was to turn it into baking flour by drying in a warm oven and grinding in a food processor.

Is there any better disposal than your own gut?

Are they Roe deer? (they look remarkably tasty ;)
Probably the best sort of recycling.
Mark

Latest posts

Back