Can't go giving cows that spent grain....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Batz said:
Recycle and reuse is a good start, how dare any government stop this.
But governments can't make money if we reuse and recycle. Far more tax dollars in producing new stuff than the barter system.

I put my grains into the compost (other than a few handfuls which get demolished by the brew dog). No chooks at casa de JD, so my resident bacteria return them to the elements from whence they came in my trusty compost tumbler.

JD

dammag said:
I have often wondered if the residual sugar in spent grain is a problem to livestock or is it on a par with grass etc?
I think the most important thing with feeding cattle grain is to not let them gorge on it. Too much and the rumen creates gases it can't disperse and they get 'bloat' which can be fatal depending on the severity. Not sure whether draff ;) would have the same effect. I've neknominated horses with a bottle of megaswill a couple of times due to gorging on grain or apples. Not sure on the exact science, neither were the cockies that taught me, but it does the trick. Apparently it's because they don't burp or something along those lines?
Like Wiggman says, sudden diet changes can have a dramatic effect on livestock. Introducing pregnant cattle to lush grass too quickly can cause miscarriages and death. I used to spray a fair bit of Capeweed on the farm and was always warned not to let cattle graze too soon afterwards especially in cloudy weather as the sugar levels in the plant couldn't disperse quick enough and could poison cattle. Or somethin like that.

Mr Wibble said:
I was considering getting a pig just so I could feed it the spent grain.
The chooks hoover it up pretty well already though.

My cousins use it as mulch ... Bet that must smell though.
I got home from the pub the other night pissed as a fart with a duck under my arm (long story). The Mrs was waiting for me with a look like thunder and I said "look at this pig".

She said "You silly old drunken fart that's not a pig"

And I said "I'm talking to the duck"

boom boom

Yep, straight to the chooks.

Cows and pigs (and our chooks) are also apparently avid consumers of whey. I'd be surprised if the FDA hasn't cracked down on that yet as whey goes off quite quickly, within a few hours if not refrigerated.

Cows should eat grass, not grain

I don't buy meat if the cow it came from has been grain fed

Bribie G said:
I got home from the pub the other night pissed as a fart with a duck under my arm (long story). The Mrs was waiting for me with a look like thunder and I said "look at this pig".

She said "You silly old drunken fart that's not a pig"

And I said "I'm talking to the duck"

boom boom
And his knackers are still in Mrs Bribie's purse… Well at least mine would be if I spoke to Mrs JD like that.

breakbeer said:

I have to agree with this. I don't know what the fuss is with grain fed beef. It does give you more marbling, but there is something missing with it. A good grass fed piece of beer is head and shoulders above the same piece fed with grain (IMHO).

JD

Try feeding even one cow grass through a whole season. Grass grows reeaal slow in winter and doesn't grow at all in high summer. But grains mainly fed to dairy stock anyway, so if you don't drink milk you're all good!

breakbeer said:

A natural bovine should consist of both shouldn't it? Grain being grass seed and all.

I think that we are aware that there will be sugar left in the spent grains, and sugar will promote a lot of worm activity, has anyone tried making a compost tea out of the spent grains and maybe adding some molasses to the tea, after a few weeks put the tea around the plants and the spent grain onto the compost.
By that time the grains will not smell and with all the husks it is a really good garden additive.

Not unless you were a computer using cow Wide Eyed. :lol: Errr.....your not are you? mmmmm.......cow.

Well my mother used to refer to me as a sheep, hold on, it was black sheep, probably because I used to go worrying sheep in our time in New Zealand, I used to sneak up behind them and tell them there was No God or Life after death.

Mr Wibble said:
I was considering getting a pig just so I could feed it the spent grain.
The chooks hoover it up pretty well already though.

My cousins use it as mulch ... Bet that must smell though.
Just curious, how much beer do you produce? To justify purchasing a pig, it has to be a bit.

How dare our elected government make laws that

Aghhh....like our elected government gives a shit about those that put them there...

re breakbeer's comment:

A lot of cows are grass fed, I only eat grass fed beef and use grass fed butter from New Zealand ( Westgold, also Woolies own brand unsalted that is Westgold rebranded).

Grass fed cattle meat and milk has a better ratio of Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids.

I cook mostly with ghee that I make from Westgold / Woolies butter and make my own yogurt from local Manning Valley grass fed milk.

(I'd be interested to see them feeding grass to the butter, wonder how they do that).

My point is something, a resource is being thrown away.

Animals will eat this stuff, being cattle, pigs, poultry etc., as a society we must stop the waste and recycle everything we can. There is no cost in this, pick it up, give to the animals.

How can a government prevent this from happening.

Sorry the old hippy in me showing.

Batz

Latest posts

Back