Spent Grain What To Do With It ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine goes in the compost tumbler, helps the texture. Otherwise I've made some pretty impressive bread using a bit of it.

I like to collect about 15kg and put it in the bath tub. Fill with warm water, and jump in and relax. It's extremely good for your skin.

I like to collect about 15kg and put it in the bath tub. Fill with warm water, and jump in and relax. It's extremely good for your skin.

I'm not sure if you're joking :-/

My chooks cant get enough of it,so if you are in the inner west i will gladly take it off your hands for some fresh eggs.

It makes good dog biscuits too.
Mix some up with flour, eggs, peanut butter and a stock cube, form into biscuits and cook for 30 minutes in a moderate oven then leave to dry right out in a very low oven.
Dogs love 'em.

I empty my 'mash tun' into a large plastic bag and sit it on the lawn.
Then I sit my daughter in front of it and she happily eats away for about half an hour, giving me enough time to clean up the rest of the brewery. When she is finished I close the bag and chuck it in the bin.

If this wasn't a public forum for everyone to see I'd post a picture of it.

As enthralling as it was to read post after post about chooks and compost......does anyone make bread out of it? I watched that cooking show on ABC, Poh's Kitchen, where she visited a Brewery (possibly Bright Brewery, cant remember) and then took the spent grain to someone who made bread out of it. Saw the cookie post, but I'm more interested in making some bread, so if anyone has a recipe to share that woud be great! :D

As enthralling as it was to read post after post about chooks and compost......does anyone make bread out of it? I watched that cooking show on ABC, Poh's Kitchen, where she visited a Brewery (possibly Bright Brewery, cant remember) and then took the spent grain to someone who made bread out of it. Saw the cookie post, but I'm more interested in making some bread, so if anyone has a recipe to share that woud be great! :D
There's a recipe on braukaiser as well.

I've made it once before, came out a little doughy in the middle but definitely goes great with some schmalz.

I empty my 'mash tun' into a large plastic bag and sit it on the lawn.
Then I sit my daughter in front of it and she happily eats away for about half an hour, giving me enough time to clean up the rest of the brewery. When she is finished I close the bag and chuck it in the bin.

If this wasn't a public forum for everyone to see I'd post a picture of it.

How old is your daughter? Sounds like she's very regular :D

Bread with spent grain is good. Sunday was brew and bake.
IMG_0424.JPG
IMG_0425.JPG
When I make bread I pretty much just throw every thing in.

I just made my first all grain and just chucked them in the garden. Bloody fly's everywhere.
I ask for some feedback on my Home Brew Wednesday Video on youtube about this subject.
Some people are suggesting you can make dog biscuits out of them and it's also possible to make
cookies out of them. I have also heard that if you grow mushrooms they are the best feed for mushrooms you can get.
If you want to have a look at some the suggestions check out my youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/thegentlearts

This is what happened to my spent grain today, around 6 kilos of Maris Otter and medium crystal.
Billygoat loves it.

Almost looks like the chooks are waiting for it to come out the other end...

This is what happened to my spent grain today, around 6 kilos of Maris Otter and medium crystal.
Billygoat loves it.

Hate to give you bad news, but spent grain can be deadly to goats :(

Ross

I'm tuning my spent grain into eggs, the next door neighbour has a few chickens so after brew day I wander over and feed them, in return he gives me eggs, Effing brilliant, even my brewing waste has value,

We do plan on having chickens but is a ways off due to the brewhouse (shed) redevelopment that's happening soon

The chooks are getting very happy to see me wander through the gate :rolleyes:

Seriously, if he overdoses it'll kill him...... it's your call, just giving you the warning.

Ross

Latest posts

Back