Spent Grain What To Do With It ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wait until it cools down..
then get one of those big black plastic garabge bags and very carefully tip it into the bag.
I then twist the bag and tie a knot in it.

Then I just chuck it in the red bin.

ta da ..gonski.

do not throw it on the roses... and def. do NOT cover it with pea straw when it starts to stink... SWMBO, I can attest to, will not be impressed no matter how helpful you think you are being ;)

Ive found with a cap of tuna oil mixed into a bucket of spent grain makes excellent bream berley off the back of the boat.

Ive found with a cap of tuna oil mixed into a bucket of spent grain makes excellent bream berley off the back of the boat.

COOL IDEA.

I will give it s crack.

Compost bin for me, or in the garden except when there's a mouse or rat plague then it goes to either chooks or local landfill.

Has anyone else seen in the compost isle at bunnings that they actually sell dried spent grains to assist worm farms and compost's? Anyway I found it interesting.

Yep, excellent for worm farms as a layer over the food scraps.

I'm hoping that waiting overnight before letting the chooks loose on it will not allow it to ferment too much.

Cant see it being very handy giving it to them whilst it is hot, and anyway, 90% of my brewing is done after tea, when the girls are all roosting anyway.

Fester Out.

By the time you dump it after the wort has been drained from it it's really not that hot.

I dump the spent grain in the chook run whilst the wort is coming to the boil so the grain still has steam coming from it. It cools down quickly.

The chooks smash it! :beerbang:

I do the same DrSmurto. Just chuck it in while I'm busy boiling.

The chooks love it and will wake up in the night to have a go at it.

By the time you dump it after the wort has been drained from it it's really not that hot.

Maybe so, but i still advise not having a couple kilo's fall on your thonged foot :unsure:

I dump the spent grain in the chook run whilst the wort is coming to the boil so the grain still has steam coming from it. It cools down quickly.

Do you chook feeders have issues with spent grain causing the chooks to be egg bound? I cant remember where I read it and perhaps it was 5kg for 2 chooks or some dumb shit like that....dunno. My dad breeds bantam chickens and if my spent grain kills one of them it will be equivalent to accidentally releasing his specially bred black canary when I was 4... he has never forgotten!

How many choocks do you have and how often do you brew? to get a feel for a healthy/safe grain to poultry ratio.

Thanks guys..........Bong

Jusdt 2 chooks here, and they demolish 5-6 kg of grain. The dog usually gets a handfull or 2 out of it as well. Hasn't hurt my chooks yet, but have only done about 8 AG brews.

I've tried in the compost... too stinky. Smells like someone's layed a cable on your front step
I've tried in the garden... rotting carcass anyone?
I've tried offering to the next door neighbours chooks... no good, apparently they didn't go for it (I call bullshit as i reckon she just didn't want it hanging around)

Now i just scoop it out into a couple of garbage bags and chuck it in the bin. If i had chooks of my own i'd probably feed to them, with an eye out for mice and rats.

I have 3 chooks, I brew 5kg a week roughly and the chooks love the stuff. I don't feed them thier laying pellets on a brew day just the spent grain.

Had no problems with grain affecting their egg laying either.

Chooks eat all of mine, but then at night.

PICT0061.JPG

Bandicoots

PICT0109.JPG

Possums

Batz

I have 3 chooks, I brew 5kg a week roughly and the chooks love the stuff. I don't feed them thier laying pellets on a brew day just the spent grain.

Had no problems with grain affecting their egg laying either.

Don't feed your chooks laying pellets, just course grain.

We have 8 chickens and they take down 10kg at a time, within a couple of hours. Never had a problem with egg-bound chickens

Same here, neighbours chooks love seeing me climbing over the fence with the biab bag.
They get stuck right into it hot.
But i do try to leave it half an hour at least.

I'm hoping that waiting overnight before letting the chooks loose on it will not allow it to ferment too much.

Cant see it being very handy giving it to them whilst it is hot, and anyway, 90% of my brewing is done after tea, when the girls are all roosting anyway.

Fester Out.

I give it to the chickenss hot, and they get right into it. They love crystal more than anything. Keen on carapils too. Apart from that you can mix it with soil, pea straw/mulch and dig it in. Worms love it. Need to do a good rotation though, otherwise you just end up with nasty grain in the soil / gas pockets.

Black bin bag here.

Rats are evil bastards.

They eat my snail pellets! I can only wonder what they'd do to my spent grain.
F*&kers. Shitting everywhere.. spreading disease.

I'd lace the grain with Bromokill or something, but then it'd end up killing possums too.

Latest posts

Back