Spent Grain What To Do With It ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelcocks

Reaction score
Hi guys
Was just doing clean up in the garden and realized i have a few dumping areas for grain
Swimbo is starting to moan about flys and it looking untidy

What do you guys so with spent grain ?

Yes, dumping it in one big pile means it will go pretty naff quite quickly, so I just spread it thinly around the garden as a mulch.

Any fowl? I hear they like it.

Like RdeVjan I spread mine out as mulch, only I spread mine out on the grass. Clay soil here and couldn't get the grass to grow until I did this.

Gavo.

I either dig it inot the vegie patch or it goes straight into the worm farm, (does smell a little funky :huh: )

:icon_offtopic: Yeah, I've got heaps just now Gavo, about three bags- worth that I had to unexpectedly dispose of!! :eek: ;)
I only jest, your grain is safe here with me!

I chuck mine in the compost bin. still waiting to see how it turns out. Haven't got to it yet after a few months. Will have to see how it goes. Trying to talk swmbo into getting some chooks to eat the spent grain.
Cheers
Chucka

Chooks, I have 5 chooks and they can't get enough of it plus I get 5 eggs a day

By the way does anybody wants some eggs :D

eggs in beer, or pickled eggs with beer - it's the circle of life, don't fight it :p

eggs in beer, or pickled eggs with beer - it's the circle of life, don't fight it :p

Pickled eggs + beer = pickled egg beer farts

Now that's completing the circle :kooi:

The cows love it, as do the sheep but it's best for the chooks.

It either goes into the compost bin, or it gets dug into the vege garden.

:icon_offtopic: Yeah, I've got heaps just now Gavo, about three bags- worth that I had to unexpectedly dispose of!! :eek: ;)
I only jest, your grain is safe here with me!

Yeah good onya Ralf. Don't worry I will turn that grain into mulch sometime.

Gavo.

I make cookies :)

250 g white flour
250 g spent grain
250 g raisins+seeds+nuts
150 g sugar
100 g peanut butter
100 ml milk
50 g tahina
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

Bake until golden @ 160C. My GF looves them!

The rest is eaten by my compost bin :)

I make dog biscuits

2 cups of flour
2 cups of grain
1 cup of peanut butter
1 egg.

Mix together and press flat into a baking tray and score shapes lightly. Cook for 30 mins at 180. Then break up cookies and place back into oven for 6 hours plus at a low 100 to completely dry out. Dogs love em!

The rest goes on the lawn and its finally starting to take off.

Looking at making some bread with some soon.

The chooks are happy again as they used to get it then I got some pigs. Fed it all to the pigs to fatten them up, now the pigs are in the freezer and the chooks get it again.

A little water and fertiliser... all good :super:

Spent_grain.jpg

Latest posts

Back