Understanding Fermentation Times V's Temp?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I want to better understand the time it takes to ferment and at what temperatures.

My current scenario is, I am using the Coopers Larger Extract. This went straight into the fermenter with 500g of Dextrose.
Meanwhile I had a grain malt which I let sit in warm water (70C) for about 60 minutes before rinsing the grain bag. I then bought to the boil for another 60 minutes. As the boil began I added a small amount of Hops to the boil. I only added about 25g as the Larger Extract was already hopped.

After the boil and the cooling down process, I placed the wort into the same fermenter as the extract. When temps got to 18C I added the Larger Yeast.

I have kept it at a constant 18C (pressurised) 4 days. The fermentation is looking good and the SG continues to drop.

At what stage do I drop the temp to around 10C before going to about 0C for Lagering?

Pete

I put ales under pressure @18C and Lagers @12 C for the most part. I utilize a temp controlled fridge.
You have stated a Lager, I would give it 7 days. Then raise the temp, then cold crash.
You are fermenting warm to hot. Give it 7 days and take a sample for gravity. Then cold crash, some say -1 degree C a day.
I cold crash @ about 3 a day.
Let's Go, it's home brew.

Thanks TwoCows,
OK, I have bought the Temp down to 12ºC and Monitor from there. I realise that I should perhaps have started at 12ºC, but I will come down from 18ºC to 12ºC for a few days, seeing that it has already fermenting well, then bring it back up to Rest before crashing it.

All this acknowledge helps me for the next batch - which I will do a All-Grain (for the first time).

Thanks again....

Pete

Latest posts

Back