Seltzer Bottling 3 Carb Drops???

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASYLUM_SPIRIT

Reaction score
Hi guys

Just after a bit of advice, I have 750ml Mangrove Jack swing top bottles that I want to put Seltzer in. I want it Carbed a bit more than beer, so was thinking 3 carbonation drops per bottle. Do you reckon that would be all right?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

when I used to use carb drops - i found two really did a good job of over-carbonating my beer. Three might be a risk of explosion.
Do 3 drops in a plastic bottle maybe, and see what happens. If the lid expands to the point it bulges out, then you know for sure it is too much sugar.

when I used to use carb drops - i found two really did a good job of over-carbonating my beer. Three might be a risk of explosion.
Do 3 drops in a plastic bottle maybe, and see what happens. If the lid expands to the point it bulges out, then you know for sure it is too much sugar.
Thanks Golly

I'm not sure how robust the MJ swing top bottles are, but I also found that 2 carb drops in a 750mL bottle usually gave higher carbonation than I needed. You also want to avoid bottle bombs.

If you want reliable bottles to carb to a higher level then get some champagne bottles and use those. I used to use them for cider (which I carbonated quite enthusiastically) and they were always sound as a pound.

JD

I've done 3 (and 4!) carb drops In champagne bottles and they work fine. Silly season is a good time to start collecting them. You do need a capper that can accommodate a tirage bell and larger caps, but otherwise works a treat

Latest posts

Back