BILSONS Portello cordial

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AUSGAMER

Reaction score
Hey guys just new to the forum nice to be allowed on here and meet you all. Just wondering if I add alcohol to bilsons cordial and add carbonation drops, and put it in swing top lid bottles will it work cheers and TIA

No. Carbonation drops are just sugar drops. When you are brewing, yeast converts sugars into alcohol and CO2. Adding sugar when bottling your beer means the CO2 produced in this secondary fermentation to stay in solution. A carbonation drop is just a convenient way to add sugar to the bottle.
To do what you want to do, you will need to set up a force carbonation system. A Sodastream is probably the easiest and cheapest solution.

Yeh tried the soda stream but when I released the bottle of plain alcohol without the flavor(s) from the soda stream it just spewed out and lost about 150ml from the bottle. Then when you drink it's not very carbonated, then the other thing is is when you put flavor(s) in the bottle or glass you lose more carbonation. That's why I thought if I bottle the alcohol, the flavor, and the carbonation drops And bottle it would the work?

Yeh tried the soda stream but when I released the bottle of plain alcohol without the flavor(s) from the soda stream it just spewed out and lost about 150ml from the bottle. Then when you drink it's not very carbonated, then the other thing is is when you put flavor(s) in the bottle or glass you lose more carbonation. That's why I thought if I bottle the alcohol, the flavor, and the carbonation drops And bottle it would the work?
You'd need to add yeast as well, that's what turns the carbonation drops into carbonation.

If your really keen you can invest in a kegerator and use CO2 gas to carbonate your drink and also dispense it via taps :)

If you just put sugar (carbonation drop), alcohol and cordial in a bottle there won't be any yeast present to convert the sugar into carbonation.

I suspect your problem relates to the temperature of the liquid you are trying to carbonate. What alcohol are you using?

You'd need to add yeast as well, that's what turns the carbonation drops into carbonation.

If your really keen you can invest in a kegerator and use CO2 gas to carbonate your drink and also dispense it via taps :)
The problem is if the OP is talking about high abv spirit and cordial, the yeast will die. If it is diluted to <15%, then the yeast will eat the sugar in the cordial as well and that will be umm, not good.

The problem is if the OP is talking about high abv spirit and cordial, the yeast will die. If it is diluted to <15%, then the yeast will eat the sugar in the cordial as well and that will be umm, not good.
Good call, I think I've been buying sugar free cordial for so long I forgot the regular type is fermentable!

Did you chill the water before carbonating? It can be a big difference

Latest posts

Back