Cooling Wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewCarey82

"Baron Hardmans" Chief brewer.
Reaction score
BIAB brewer here.

Can comfortably do all steps for 4.5kgs of grain with the exception of the cooling part rapidly.

Is there any issue if I seal up in my fermenter leaving the wort to cool to pitching temp, mainly do Ales so looking @ 22 or under.

Will probably be able to get with sparging in my mashtun about 20 litres of wort, will measure the OG and top up with water accordingly.

Also having a bit of trouble boiling, is it okay to nakedly after mashing pour in 1/3 of the wort and boil the other 2/3rds for hop addition?

Thanks in advance guys and please don't judge me too harshly for dumb questions.

All the best.

Any reason after the boil I just can't pour into fermentor, snap the airlock in, leave overnight until cooled, then stir the shit out of it and pitch the yeast?

I've never done it myself but there are some brewers on here that use the hot cube method, then transfer to fermenter when cooled.

You should boil (above 85degC for 20 mins at least) the entire brew to sanitise the wort.
You can boil part then do the rest of the batch with the hops as normal.
Can't say what effect it will have on the recipe though.

Thanks mate, being just a more condensed version can't see why it should affect the IBU's?

Thanks mate, being just a more condensed version can't see why it should affect the IBU's?
It does affect the IBU's as the hops are still isomerising so will bitter the wort further, there are techniques to avoid this. The other consideration is the continuance of DMS production as the wort slowly cools.
It's well worth getting an immersion chiller to prevent the production of DMS just cool it to 70C and DMS will cease being produced.

Any reason after the boil I just can't pour into fermentor, snap the airlock in, leave overnight until cooled, then stir the shit out of it and pitch the yeast?
Just on that mate if you put your airlock in with hot wort, you’ll get suck back as it cools and contracts. Sounds like you need bigger gear. Do it!
Good luck

Thinking I'll just cool down as quick as I can. In the sink with ice, be a bit of a pain, but manageable.

I should have 14-15 litres of wort into the fermentor and than top up with icey water from the freezer for 5 litres.

Using 4.16 kilo of Joe White Ale Malt, 250g of Wheat, 250g of light caramalt and a 30 minute boil. Recipe with hops I am using fits American Pale Ale profile perfectly.

Thinking I'll just cool down as quick as I can. In the sink with ice, be a bit of a pain, but manageable.

I've done this, but needed 4+ bags and it's a pain. I used to let the wort cool overnight in a food grade cube, lots of brewers do this. If you have pool, drop the cube in there for 2-3 hours. Done.

Yeah I'll need to grab a siphon for this will be easiest method to get it into the cube due to orange size opening in it.

i started to do this about 15 years ago, when Melbourne was still dealing with water restrictions to save water on chilling. i still use this method now sometimes. the biggest issue seems to be the worry about leaving the wort "exposed" to other microbes overnight, but i always make sure that i am pitching a great big starter of happy healthy yeast to outcompete anything else.

When I bought my Brewzilla 3.1, it came with a wort chiller, which I haven't unwrapped. I use the hot cube method, and couldn't imagine doing anything else. However, that's just me.

When I bought my Brewzilla 3.1, it came with a wort chiller, which I haven't unwrapped. I use the hot cube method, and couldn't imagine doing anything else. However, that's just me.

Just checked out the Brewzilla, is it worth it mate, @ $350 very, very good price, and it literally is a 1 pot solution?

I have the 3.0 version 35 ltr robo and is still going strong. Over 70 brews on that.
The 3.1 brewzilla is the 3.0 version with the upgraded control panel. Great price.
Then there is the version 4.0, 35 and 65 ltr brewzilla's, the tap and pump configuration are different with a centre drain. Wifi controller added as well.
Malt pipe and kettle extensions are avaiable is needed.

Brew in bag or use as a HLT. 35L Basic Electric BIAB Kit - 2400w Dual Element Control

Just checked out the Brewzilla, is it worth it mate, @ $350 very, very good price, and it literally is a 1 pot solution?
As @TwoCrows says, it's an excellent price, and an excellent product. Before I was given it, (by my wife for Christmas) I'd never done an AG, and it went like a charm. I must have done 50 or so brews in it, all trouble-free. I also totally recommend Brewfather Brewfather as a program to aid your brewing.

Yes, no need for 3 vessels to brew, you can do it all in one. Brewing can be as simple or complicated as you want it.

That's what I got and have been doing 23l sized recipes BIAB brews in it. Boiling headroom is a little tight so I usually recover 20-21L into the fermenter, but the the extensions can fix that. Just got the malt pipe upgrade, so it's almost a brewzilla - just without the software and pump.

Latest posts

Back