How to dispose of spent grains?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No need to be sorry about it being in seppo (yes, I'm familiar with the reference, strange combination of words to get there, though). :)

Not everyone here thinks the US is the only country in the world. But probably most think it's the only one that matters. Not so here (me). I figure it's an international community and more here should see it that way. That's why I'm part of this forum. Homebrewers in your country in particular came up with some clever and useful brewing techniques. I may try the cube cooling technique myself someday. I like its simplicity.

Having done a few BIAB's now, I'm also interested in this topic, for a couple of reasons.
One of them - is it possible to use the used grains as a medium for growing mushrooms?
I'm guessing compacted used grains would make a good base for mushies to spawn?
I looooove mushrooms, probably one of the best superfoods out there, and they're a fascinating eco entity :) Alot to learn about them still but I'm over the bunnings cup mushroom kits lol

Having done a few BIAB's now, I'm also interested in this topic, for a couple of reasons.
One of them - is it possible to use the used grains as a medium for growing mushrooms?
I'm guessing compacted used grains would make a good base for mushies to spawn?
I looooove mushrooms, probably one of the best superfoods out there, and they're a fascinating eco entity :) Alot to learn about them still but I'm over the bunnings cup mushroom kits lol
I have wondered about this as when my spent grains have been on the compost heap for about 2 days it gets what looks like mycelium growing on them. What sort of mushroom are you after?
Fly-Agaric-Amanita-muscaria-1.jpg

Hey WEAL,
At the moment I've got a log with Shiitake mushies but it's being very lazy to start up... maybe not the right time / season / temp?
I bought a Swordbelt kit too but it's sitting in the fridge for now - until the time I know what I'm doing :)
Ideally I'd love to have a spawn of Chanterelle variety, but apparently they're not allowed in Aus.

For the last couple of years I've been using various amounts of spent grain in bread loaves and rolls. It's easy enough to substitute 10-20% of the flour and water mix in simple bread for fresh or spent grain. I've found sourdough loaves to be more sensitive to wet grain, and generally stick to less than 10% added at the end of the mix as otherwise the loaf seems to dry out too much in the bake.

Everything else usually goes in the compost. Make sure you cover it well unless you want to attract bugs, rodents and birds. If I had a rural block I'd probably be happy to leave it uncovered far away from the house.

On the odd occasion I've found someone with stock to take it there usually aren't any issues getting calves, pigs and goats to eat it even after day or two at ambient temps; however chooks seem to only be interested if it's under a day old.

Mine goes to mine and the neighbours chooks. Put it on fb/gumtree once and it went quick as a flash. The stuff smells putrid after sitting for a day or more though.

Mine goes to mine and the neighbours chooks. Put it on fb/gumtree once and it went quick as a flash. The stuff smells putrid after sitting for a day or more though.
You need to put in freezer .

Oyster mushrooms are easy to grow. You would be best to mix the spent grains with some mulch. Alfalfa mulch from Bunnings would be best because of its high nitrogen content.

A 44 gallon drum works well for sterilisation. Put the medium into (suitable) plastic bags of some sort and cook it in the drum with some water in the bottom and the lid on loosely and some holes to allow steam pressure to escape. You will need to cook it 3 days in a row to sterilise it properly. (A couple of hours each day should be sufficient to heat the bags into their centres) Make sure the bags don't touch the metal so that they don't melt. Some blocks of wood may be useful for this.

Once cooled you can inoculate with a piece of mushroom stem from an oyster mushroom bought from somewhere like Woolies or a fruit and veg store. You might need some cotton in the top of the bags for air and CO2 exchange.

You should be able to find plenty of info online.

hi I am a farmer who will happily take grains away to feed my livestock
I can collect in Melbourne suburbs (Moorabbin, Berwick and up past Warragul.

This is a great resource for me and it will be much appreciated. I am struggling to find spent grains for my animals.

The more the better
[email protected]

Oyster mushrooms are easy to grow. You would be best to mix the spent grains with some mulch. Alfalfa mulch from Bunnings would be best because of its high nitrogen content.

A 44 gallon drum works well for sterilisation. Put the medium into (suitable) plastic bags of some sort and cook it in the drum with some water in the bottom and the lid on loosely and some holes to allow steam pressure to escape. You will need to cook it 3 days in a row to sterilise it properly. (A couple of hours each day should be sufficient to heat the bags into their centres) Make sure the bags don't touch the metal so that they don't melt. Some blocks of wood may be useful for this.

Once cooled you can inoculate with a piece of mushroom stem from an oyster mushroom bought from somewhere like Woolies or a fruit and veg store. You might need some cotton in the top of the bags for air and CO2 exchange.

You should be able to find plenty of info online.

I know this is sort of off topic but I have done this before with a mix of spent grain, sawdust (untreated timber of course) and coffee grounds.
But always used some inoculated mushroom starter too.
I simply put a dampened mix as above in a microwave for 2 mins to sterilize it. obviously in batches until I'd got enough to some plastic ziplock bags.
Once cool I'd add about 10% of the bought starter to each and mix around before cutting holes in the bags.

Now, my questions to you were - why the 3 day process for the medium and secondly any links to how to inoculate with mushroom stems?
I'm internet challenged atm. 7yo laptop and using my phone as a hotspot - no internet connected here yet.

Tks

well after reading this have put an ad on gumtree looking for chicken owners who want free grain

am currently dumping straight into our wheelie bin .which right now smells slightly worse than satans asshole .I think its doing its own turbid mash over summer

well after reading this have put an ad on gumtree looking for chicken owners who want free grain

am currently dumping straight into our wheelie bin .which right now smells slightly worse than satans asshole .I think its doing its own turbid mash over summer

Actually that gives me a thought... will swap grain for chook poo - win win!

Back