How to dispose of spent grains?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trq

Reaction score
As the title says.

Currently, I have been dumping my spent grains into our green waste bin, but the main issue with that is that it is growing some sort of crystal-like green mold/fungus, and it also seems to attract tiny little fruit flys or something.

Worried that the mold/fungus might cause other dramas in the brewhouse which is probably only 5-7meterss away from said green waste bin.

So, what the heck do I do with this stuff? We don't really have a garden I can dump it on or access to anything I can feed it to ;p

that is fiber for: cows horses dogs chickens, anything that eats with teeth basically.
so there's that.
a lid on your bin should be fine or you can try and cover it with grass clipping or something.
know any farmers locally?

Well I just dump mine in the garden and spread it around a bit, but without a garden makes it difficult.

You could use it to make dog biscuits.

Home brew shop where i buy my grain has empty grain bags for free. I grab a few when I'm there, keep them at home to chuck the spent grains in, then straight into the bin. Stops the mould growing from just dumping them in the green bin. The smell from the few times I did that was out of this world...

If you chuck it on your garden, do they end up growing plants from the grains?

cmon man those seeds have been cooked, twice.
i tell you what though the spent grist holds moisture in pretty well so if you are throwing them on hops or some plants that might be prone to fungus, keep that in mind.
i think composting it first is probably best.

I'm no biologist... i've had capsicum plants pop up from cooked seeds! (the capsicum were shit...)

Last edited:
fair enough, people have harvested coffee beans from civet shit, so it always pays to check first hand i guess. growing your own grain would require a bit of space im tipping.

My neighbour's chooks usually get mine, but last weekend they weren't home, so next morning I tipped it in the paddock, and for days after, the resident wallabies reckon it's just the duck's nuts!

iam sure a neighbor would appreciate them, makes a good mulch. as rocker said, i spread it out and put it round our raspberries etc.

When I had chickens, the fuckers wouldn't even touch it. The dog isn't interested either, fussy *******.

If your nearest farmer or community garden is already inundated in spent grain, innovation is the watchword, and Alaskan Brewing Co. found just the right solution. By developing “a first-of-its-kind biomass steam boiler,” fueled entirely by their spent grain. Ashley Johnston of ABC estimates that “The new boiler will completely eliminate the brewery’s use of fuel oil in the grain drying process, and displace more than half of the fuel needed to create process steam for the brewing process.”

In turn, this boiler will lead to “more than a 60 percent reduction in fuel oil use in the first year, and, with moderate growth assumptions, this translates to a fuel savings of nearly 1,500,000 gallons of oil over the next 10 years,” Johnston states. “As the brewery grows, so does our fuel source, leading to even more savings.”

With this technology, ABC is taking sustainability to a new level, using their raw material waste to power their day-to-day brewing operations, thus creating a perpetual loop that conserves energy, saves money and is readily available. Of course, not all craft breweries can afford to invest in such technology, but necessity is the mother of invention, and ABC’s solution is a model reminder of what can be done in the realm of alternative fuels.

Copy / pasta from: https://www.craftbeer.com/craft-beer-muses/sustainable-uses-of-spent-grain

When I lived in a flat in the UK I used to flush it down the toilet a bit at a time.

Nowadays it goes into the compost bin and comes back to me as veg and tomatoes.

I put mine up on the local facebook sales board for free, goes very quickly. Guess that is the plus side of semi rural living. I won't give away mash hopped stuff but, not good for dogs and unsure on anything else. It goes to the compost.

Latest posts

Back