How to dispose of spent grains?

Discussion in 'All Grain Brewing' started by trq, 20/9/17.

1. Talnoy

Posted 2/4/18
    I'm not sure about the English name for these animals, Google translate do say Roe Deer, not too far from the Swedish word "Rådjur". And yes, they are tasty, too bad I lack the shooting rights :)

MHB and Brewno Marz like this.
  2. t2000kw

Posted 8/4/18
    Please be aware that spent grains with hop residue in it (if you add any hops in with the mash itself) can kill dogs, in particular greyhounds, though apparently it's somewhat toxic to all dogs. Greyhounds have a small liver compared to their body size, so they don't detoxify some things very well.

http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/hops/

Not many of us use hops in the mash itself (I don't), but it's still good to be aware of where you throw your hop residue. When we had a Greyhound, I was careful of where I put my spent hops, and they only went in the garbage. The grains went on a compost pile.

Last edited: 8/4/18
    garage_life likes this.
  3. pirateagenda

Posted 9/4/18
    is there a way to get it to not stink if i want to save it few a few weeks to give to livestock?

4. wide eyed and legless

Posted 9/4/18
    I doubt it without freezing them, I have noticed they start to decompose almost immediately in the compost, within a couple of days it has reached a fairly high temperature.

5. Monkeyguts

Posted 16/4/18 at 6:04 AM
    I'm no expert, but because the grain is still damp wild yeast would start a fermentation process in your bin if you have no lid. Probably counts for the smell.

6. wide eyed and legless

Posted 16/4/18 at 8:16 AM
    Every little microbe will have a go at breaking down the cellulose, but being as tough as it is everything else will get consumed and only time will break down the outer casing, thats why it is good in the compost, the sugars left in and the casing will give good aeration and moisture retention in the garden.

7. Jack of all biers

Posted 16/4/18 at 1:46 PM
    Yes. I have done it a few times. You need an old screen door or similar fine meshed tray large enough to spread the grains out in a thin layer less than an inch. Prop that up off the ground high enough that good airflow gets underneath. Put in a sunny place (hopefully breezy, but not too breezy) and turn the spent grains occasionally to dry. I must admit though that my chook only pecks at it a bit and most gets spread around or ignored, as I think most of the goodness is extracted away by us. It probably tastes about as appetising to the livestock as gruel is to us. Maybe once dry, mix it with something the livestock want to eat to bulk it out a bit.

Doesn't work too well in winter though (or wet season I suppose).

8. wynnum1

Posted 16/4/18 at 9:15 PM
    If you look at how to make a cake has oil sugar and flour and a raising agent could try using spent cooking oil or fat with molasses as the sugar carrot or pumpkin and the spent grain and feed that to the livestock the other option is to do a no chill and boil up and put in a cube to store.

9. wide eyed and legless

Posted 16/4/18 at 10:55 PM
    Watched a doco about Dog Fish Head Brewery spent grains are used to help power the brewery through their own Bio-gas plant, they also recycle the water used in the plant.

10. wynnum1

Posted 16/4/18 at 11:05 PM
    Gardening Australia showed a Bio-gas plant in South Australia and they where putting cans of coopers beer in it seems that the alcohol can be converted to Bio-gas

11. wide eyed and legless

Posted 16/4/18 at 11:11 PM
    I made a simple bio-gas plant when I was 14 or 15, with a couple of drums the chicken shite from the run, straw and water, and just let the microbes turn it to gas, a bit like fermenting really.

12. wynnum1

Posted 16/4/18 at 11:21 PM
    There are a few of these systems coming onto the market for homes would be a good why of getting rid of sewerage have seen where a farmer in India using his cow shit to power the house stove could be cheaper then buying gas to brew.

13. wide eyed and legless

Posted 16/4/18 at 11:31 PM
    They also use human shit and rice hulls to heat up the boilers to power the the turbines in India.

14. wheat and hops

Posted 19/4/18 at 3:16 PM
    I visited the BeerFarm near Margret River recently and spoke with the onsite brewer , I think his name was Josh. Their spent grains get fed to the Farm cows and the cows get fed to the customers....

Great place to visit, onsite brewer Josh happy was happy to run through a detailed tour. Also brilliant beer and food. Highly recommended place to visit if you are down that way.