How to dispose of spent grains?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We're in our new house now, put a post up in the local community page and got a couple of replies. Said I was brewing Saturday just gone and crickets. I'll try again next brew day... in the meantime it's getting dumped in the front garden (we don't really go out there much).

Plastic bag and into the wheely bin.
Bin pickup is Wednesday so Monday/Tuesday is brew day else it really stinks and leaks.
My nephews have chooks and they don't want it. Rancid rubbish is hard to palm off.

I already have 2 replies on gumtree that they will take grain.

Why wouldn't they. It's free feed so long as they can get it before it goes stinky and moldy (I guess rural chook owners would still be ok with it)
A friend of a relative keeps a few chooks in his suburban back yard and I always take a tub of spent grain when we visit if I've brewed in the past couple of days.
He repays me with a few nice eggs :)

The rest goes into my compost tumbler.
As I'm building a new garden I need all the compost I can make and then some.

+1 for the chooks.

I took 10kg of grain across the road for my neighbour after I brewed last, they loved it. I figure I'll just keep doing that - it's a win for him (Free chook food) and a win for me (get rid of it without throwing it out).

Cheers,
Matt

so I had 4 replies to my gum tree add. on brew day last Sunday sent a few messages when I started my mash and 1 of them came and got the grain the next day ,

so kept the stinking grain out of my bin . and since he got it the day after it was starting to stink. but he still wanted it. chooks arnt fussy I guess

so I had 4 replies to my gum tree add. on brew day last Sunday sent a few messages when I started my mash and 1 of them came and got the grain the next day ,

so kept the stinking grain out of my bin . and since he got it the day after it was starting to stink. but he still wanted it. chooks arnt fussy I guess
Get any egg's?

Use spent grains with care as feed. Because of the very high fibre content it is often recommended to mix them with two or three times their volume of feed grain, to prevent diarrhoea. If one has only two or three chooks you might not go through them that way before they get moldy.

They are also very high in protein, therefore in nitrogen, but not nearly so rich in other plant nutrients. As such they make a good fertiliser to fire up compost heaps or to use as is on salad plants, edible greens or grass. Scattering them on a lawn attracts a few birds. No worries, they don't stink that way.

Because of the nutrient imbalance heavy applications may discourage flowering and fruiting, but that depends on the plant and the soil. Out my window Moby Zucchini seems to be thriving and producing heavily in ground enriched by pale ales past. I have had poor yields of tomatoes that way.

To much pee on the compost will lift the nitrogen levels also, keep mixing in some ,layers of straw to keep the carbon nitrogen balance right.
Are autumn leaves as good as straw? Don't have any money to spend on the garden atm.
And what green/brown ratio do you normally aim for?
I'm doing roughly 1 green to 3 brown by volume, but wish I could make compost quicker :)

3 to 1 is good, leaves not so good they can take a while to break down, I have used sugar cane mulch in the compost, (I like to think there is probably sugar left in there) but that can be slow to break down too. As long as it is kept damp, you will have a beautiful rich compost full of worms.

3 to 1 is good, leaves not so good they can take a while to break down
WEAL, try dumping really dry leaves on the lawn then run the lawn mower over them and collect the (almost) dust in the grass box. They break down in no time, especially if mixed with a little spent grain.

WEAL, try dumping really dry leaves on the lawn then run the lawn mower over them and collect the (almost) dust in the grass box. They break down in no time, especially if mixed with a little spent grain.
I do that with my corn stalks, nver thought of doing it with leaves, do you wet them to prevent them blowing away?

I do that with my corn stalks, nver thought of doing it with leaves, do you wet them to prevent them blowing away?
No I get them as dry as I can and they seem to swirl around in the mower and chop up really finely. Then mow the lawn and mix the leaves with grass and spent grain.

I just chopped up corn stalks with the mower today as it happens.

Edit: I use the mower on the highest cutting setting for leaves/corn etc.

Not a gardener but I do love the fresh corn from the garden, my dad would always run the mower over the stalks before sticking them in the compost. Chicken and corn one of the best pairings ever.

No I get them as dry as I can and they seem to swirl around in the mower and chop up really finely. Then mow the lawn and mix the leaves with grass and spent grain.

I just chopped up corn stalks with the mower today as it happens.

Edit: I use the mower on the highest cutting setting for leaves/corn etc.
Ah you use the catcher, I haven't used the catcher for years maybe I should rethink my methods Sean.

Ah you use the catcher, I haven't used the catcher for years maybe I should rethink my methods Sean.
I only really use it for leaves and a patch of lawn over a fallen dead tree roots that grows faster, longer and greener than the rest along with a ring of mushrooms.

Also I should have mentioned that my mower will blow leaves out the right hand side if I try to pick up too much at a time so I spread out the pile a bit and approach it from the right and very little blows away.

I actually do that too!
There's a little walkway with walls both sides at my place where I slash all the leaves/twigs into the catcher.
Still makes a bit of a mess but easy to clean up after.

edit: back on topic ish.
I'm actually building a temporary 1 cubic metre hot compost bin as I need a huge amount for the new place.
I'll fill it with a mix of autumn leaves, spent grain, sawdust, horse manure garden trimmings and kitchen waste.
Hopefully it will be a good way through composting before the cooler weather hits.

Last edited:
I do 150 litres brewing in a single day, so I make sure I brew on Tuesdays as the vegetation bin goes out on Wednesday morning.

Latest posts

Back