Can't go giving cows that spent grain....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep pretty much right I reckon Batz.

I'm sure the cows would be pretty happy to be noshing on grass all day, but I'm sure they'd be even happier with a bit of spent grain in their diet to liven things up.

Made some cheese today, and the whey went straight into some loaves of bread, pots for the chickens to drink at leisure, and a little into the freezer to be used for later beer use.

I knew a pig farmer once that was lucky enough to get all the leftover cheese from a very large producer. Anything damaged or defective went to the pigs.

I never saw it myself but those that did felt somewhat ripped off while watching pigs eat wheels of brie and camembert. The pork was bloody magnificent though so I guess humankind wins in the end.

431neb said:
I knew a pig farmer once that was lucky enough to get all the leftover cheese from a very large producer. Anything damaged or defective went to the pigs.

I never saw it myself but those that did felt somewhat ripped off while watching pigs eat wheels of brie and camembert. The pork was bloody magnificent though so I guess humankind wins in the end.
I had a friend who did the same. He worked at a local milk depot and fed his pigs huge blocks of NQR parmesan and pecorino. The meat was superb. We used to keep a few chunks of the cheese for our spag bol and lasagna too.

Not quite sure how they get purely grass fed butter Bribie G. Every dairy I've ever known use grain to entice the cow into the stall. Even the remote milking stations parked out in the paddock use some sort of incentive. Unless these New Zealander's have some other way of getting them in. "I was just tryun to push ut unto the shed, hey bro."

I grew paw paws for a season or two, all the bad ones went to a mates pigs. Others to my chooks, I ate the eggs and the chooks, the chook poo into the garden, and garden waste to the chooks. Nature has it all sorted already. ;)

Batz

My brother used to work at a piggery, raising them for the abattoir. Same town had a cheese factory. Probably not a coincidence, that.

(Are chook poos good for hops, d'y think folks?)

OK I'm out of this thread, I can see people are getting the right impression about me.

batz

butterfly green earth.jpg

Haven't heard from Incider for ages, reportedly he died in his youth.

Latest posts

Back