2016 QLD Xmas Case Swap (Tasting Thread)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Parks said:
I actually enjoyed it but agree with the watery nature, however I fully expected it being 2%ABV.

I would have picked FG to be under 1010 BTW.
Yeah same, I figured with the high mash temp (What'd you say Liam, 72 or something wasn't it?) it would have more body to it.

It was definitely missing the booziness. A fun experiment, next time I'll aim for a little higher ABV so I can squeeze more malt in

21. Peege. RIPA.
Solid mate. Aroma is resinous and malty. Neither getting in the way. Did I say solid beer.

Beersuit said:
21. Peege. RIPA.
Solid mate. Aroma is resinous and malty. Neither getting in the way. Did I say solid beer.
Agreed .... solid. Just had this. Solid bitterness with good aroma and both hops and malt in the flavour.

I'll have to have it tonight to decide if it's a Courtney Barnett of a beer.

It was indeed better than Paul Kelly - well done Peege.

What hops did you use? I really enjoyed the resinous/herbaceous flavour it had. Aydos' Galaxy IPA had a similar thing, but I've never had that flavour from Galaxy before.

1. evoo4u - Julebryg (Drink NOW)
2. Aydos - Galaxy Pale ale - Bottled 16/12 so leave it until at least 30th. It will be ready for new years!
3. Liam_Snorkel - Impish Stout - 2.0% ABV (Drink NOW)
4. Ballantyne - funktown pale ale - 5.4% abv fermented since 9 oct - (bottled 14th dec) Ready to go!
5. madpierre06 - Funky Saison (Drink in 5 months or now - Orval dregs)
6. Earle - Choc Wheat IPA (Drink NOW)
7. Luggy - Oatmeal Stout, bottled 9th December, had a test bottle last night and it was tasting good so drink whenever
8. Davy - Rye Pale - (bottled 17th dec - allow to carb)
9. Peege - Ainsley Harriot milk stout - (drink now - pour carefully)
10. Benken25 - American farmhouse with mulberry and chilli (Drink NOW)
12. Beersuit - Belgian Blonde (allow to carb)
13. evoo4u - APA (Drink NOW)
14. Ciderman - Mulberry Sour (Drink NOW if bottle firm)
16. giatuprs - Rex Banner's Bannier Hammer XPA - upscaled version of Brewditos' Brett APA from that Bacchus thing (Drink NOW)
17. pcqypcqy - Robust Porter (Drink NOW)
18. Nickxb - Coconut Rum Porter (Drink NOW)
21. Peege - Grvm RIPA - Red IPA (wait 2 weeks to carb)
22. madpierre06 - Hopp-a-long Saison (Drink NOW)
23. Parks - 7.2% Black IPA (Drink NOW)
24. tazman1967 "Scorched Earth" Smoked Saison (Drink NOW)

4. Ballantyne - funktown pale ale

Very malt-forward beer. Minimal carbonation meant it was very easy to drink first cab off the rank on a Friday arvo.

24. tazman1967 "Scorched Earth" Smoked Saison

Opened it not knowing what it was/who's it was. Initial smell made me think of something Belgian-y. Probably a little undercarbed for a saison and I forgot to wash my glass prior to pouring so can't really comment on head retention. The smoke probably masks some of the usual spice and zest of a saison but if you look for it then you can taste it. Glad I have 2 beers in this swap because I'm really looking forward to drinking it again.

pcqypcqy said:
It was indeed better than Paul Kelly - well done Peege.

What hops did you use? I really enjoyed the resinous/herbaceous flavour it had. Aydos' Galaxy IPA had a similar thing, but I've never had that flavour from Galaxy before.
Warrior 30g @ 60min
Chinook, Columbus, Riwaka 30g @ 15min
Chinook, Columbus, Riwaka 30g @ 0min

Chinook, Columbus, Riwaka 30g @ dry hop

I initially would have preferred Citra but it's so damn expensive.

18. Nickxb - Coconut Rum Porter

Nice beer, slightly chocolatey porter, getting more rum than coconut ie a little bit boozey. Tastes great overall. Good one Nick ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1483877575.873971.jpg

Peege said:
Warrior 30g @ 60min
Chinook, Columbus, Riwaka 30g @ 15min
Chinook, Columbus, Riwaka 30g @ 0min

Chinook, Columbus, Riwaka 30g @ dry hop

I initially would have preferred Citra but it's so damn expensive.
Yeah, but that would have been a totally different beer. After using 600g of citra on my last 2 brews, I've come to really enjoy the more savoury sort of APA/IPA's that some people are making at the moment.

2 Aydos Galaxy pale.
Big fruity aroma on the nose. I may seem weird but I don't get the typical galaxy flavour. I get orange peel. Bitter bitter orange peel. I like it but my brain finds it strange. Maybe it's the way that my taste buds interpret the molesting bitterness that they are copping.

Good beer mate but the bitterness could use with a tone down. I like it but it detracts a little. I can't fault it otherwise.

3 Liam impish stout.
I get Smokey roasted chocolate in the aroma. It does the same in my mouth. Smoked chocolate. It doesn't seem as bitter as the label suggests. It does finish a little watery but not as watery as Courtney barnetts lyrics.

16. Giatuprs. Rex banners bannier hammer.
I poured this beer whilst busy cooking dinner and let it sit for 10 mins. Came back to it still retaining its tight white head and looking better than Courtney barnett's ARIA's chances.
Love the aroma of it too. Hoppy and ever so slightly funky. The flavour is much the same but with a fruity Brett c underlying funk. Great maltyness followed by a good firm hop bitterness that doesn't linger too much into the finish. Lacing all the way down the glass.

Well done Geoff a solid beer indeed.

Liam_snorkel said:
18. Nickxb - Coconut Rum Porter

Nice beer, slightly chocolatey porter, getting more rum than coconut ie a little bit boozey. Tastes great overall. Good one Nick
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1483877575.873971.jpg
Thanks Liam. I had a taste over Christmas and I think its lacking some dried fruit to round out the rum ball taste. I think next time I make it I will slightly reduce the rum, up the coconut and add some special B or dark crystal to try and get that dried fruit flavour to it.

Tasting notes from Christmas.

6. Earle - Choc Wheat IPA

Very smooth and full mouth feel which was nicely complimented by the hops. Great beer.

10. Benken25 - American farmhouse with mulberry and chilli

I am a wuss with chilli but I really enjoyed the hint of chilli in this one. I steered clear of the chilli sauce when those wings came out and I was glad I did. This one wasn't as highly carbonated as others but I enjoyed it.

13. evoo4u - APA

This one disappeared so quick. Really solid beer. I had a few that night so my notes aren't as clear.

23. Parks - 7.2% Black IPA

Doesn't taste like a 7%er but very enjoyable. Had a nice rounded roastyness to it which played well with the hop bitterness. I would happily drink that one all night.

Latest posts

Back