2016 QLD Xmas Case Swap (Tasting Thread)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
24. Tazmans scorched earth smoked saison.
Nice and dry with the saison yeast phenolics. Beautiful colour with just a hint of smoke. Picking up a smoked ham flavour in the background. I always look forward to your beers and this doesn't disappoint

6 CWIPA Earle
Pours darker than Jessica Mauboy and has a hoppier fragrance than her too. Good carbonation and excellent mohthfeel which is just as full and luxurious as Jess. The roast gets in the way of the hops slightly but I guess that's what you get with a choc wheat IPA.

24 Tasman scorched earth.
Good smoke with some slight yeast character on the snout. Tasting this fine beast reminds me of fresh hot homemade ham straight off the smoker. Being friends with Kendall has bought me accustomed to smoke beers that assult and ravage the senses overloaded with smoke. This is not one of those beers (unless he has fucked my smoke receptors for all eternity, likely.) it's ballanced with neither smoke, yeast or malt out of place. Another well made beer Pete well done.

22. madpierre06 - Hopp-a-long Saison (Drink NOW)

Very enjoyable saison. Pronounced saison spice and slight funk for me, Hoppiness is fairly subdued - could have diminished over time. Great beer nonetheless.

16. giatuprs - Rex Banner's Bannier Hammer XPA - upscaled version of Brewditos' Brett APA from that Bacchus thing (Drink NOW)

Solid beer. As an upscaled APA I would put it in in the IPA range of bitterness with a solid malt backbone. Brett is not overdone which is just the way I like it. Good one.

7. Luggys oatmeal stout. Cracking beer mate right amount of roast balance perfectly and a smooth mouthfeel. I could drink a bloody lot of this. It ticks all the boxes

2. Aydos - Galaxy Pale ale

Fruity perfume-like aroma, tastes of passion fruit with a fresh grassy zing. Going down a treat with Sir David on the teev, after a long day of driving. Cheers mate!
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1483094100.332742.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1483094118.381427.jpg

21. Peege - Grvm RIPA - Red IPA

Deep murky* red, thick rocky head with good lacing, high-ish carbonation, tastes like juicy fruit and sweet malt, would drink again

*probs because I disturbed the sediment getting it out of the esky

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1483097589.639869.jpg

8. Davy - Rye Pale

Rich amber colour, grainy aroma, medium carb, mouthfeel starts full but ends drier, flavour is thick/slick malty and or cracked grain rather than sweet. Bitterness is balanced, some lingering malt. Nice one
View attachment 94097

21. Peege red ipa. Plenty of carbonation and great tropical hop aroma. At it warms i get a grainy malt flavour not unpleasant. What malts where used? Overall a decent beer

12. Beersuit - Belgian Blonde

High carbonation, zesty/spicy aroma. Goes down easy with a bit of apricot & dough, dry finish & v slight booziness. Absolute ripper

On a side note, I got the label a little bit wet which alerted me to the secret message on the reverse side [emoji3] I won't spoil it for the others, you'll just have to drink it!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1483165019.393889.jpg

4. Ballantyne - funktown pale ale

Low carbonation, strong musky funk aroma, tastes balanced with a very slight vinous acidity at the end. Yum
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1483175266.063528.jpg

BenKen25 said:
21. Peege red ipa. Plenty of carbonation and great tropical hop aroma. At it warms i get a grainy malt flavour not unpleasant. What malts where used? Overall a decent beer
Maris Ottter, Munich 1, Carared and Shepherds Delight. I'm pretty happy with the hop profile, though I'm unsure if it's not just a little bit too bitter. Might reduce the 60 min addition next time around.

2. Aydos - Galaxy Pale ale

Minimal carbonation and head retention. Passionfruit for days. Great colour and malt profile. Really enjoying it.

12. Beersuit - Belgian Blonde

Soft malt breadyness and a sweet caramel note in the aroma. Underlying yeast characteristics with some phenols in the background.

Delicate and medium full bodied flavours. Slight raisin and a hint of melanoidins to complement the body well. Low hop flavours. The yeast provides a nice supporting clove/peppercorn flavour to complement the malts.

Medium to high carbonation.

Very well made, this beer is better enjoyed warmer as the flavours really come out.

Would I drink this again? **** yeah I would!

Did I read the back of the label? You bet ya! Totally agree with the statement.

1483353748778.jpg

14. Ciderman - Mulberry Sour

Wow all I can say is wow, this is delicious!

The mulberry flavour is highlighted so well and that lactic bite really finishes it off the way I like. Nice clean sourness with a strong fruity flavour and a slight acetic bite, you have this one bang on mate, I wouldn't change anything with it. The brett characteristics enhance the flavour so it isn't one dimensional and play very well with the fruit.

Bang on, keep it up!

1483364578582.jpg

I drank a bunch of these over the holidays and enjoyed pretty much all of them. Lost track of what's what but good work to all.

I don't want to me a nay-sayer and shit on anyone, so please don't take this the wrong way, but I had the following observations about a few of the beers:

Ciderman 14 - I couldn't get into this beer, had a real bread/corn sort of flavour. Not sure if it was intentional with the Brett or not, but it just didn't agree with me. I was picking up good notes of the mulberry flavour and the sourness, so I liked that aspect of it, but the bread/corn flavour was putting me off unfortunately and I couldn't finish it. Made me sad as I had a mulberry wine do this to me recently, was tasting real good a while ago and then it went off the rails after another year's storage in the bottle. You could still tell what the wine was meant to be like underneath it all, but the faults up front just made it undrinkable.

Liam Snorkel Impish Stout - Initial impact of aroma and flavour was great, but then I think there's too much harsh roast flavour happening that's out of balance with the rest of the beer. The body was very thin as well, so the mouthfeel was at odds with what my eyes and nose were reporting.

All offered as constructive criticism, and probably more a reflection of my palate than your brews.

pcqypcqy said:
Liam Snorkel Impish Stout - Initial impact of aroma and flavour was great, but then I think there's too much harsh roast flavour happening that's out of balance with the rest of the beer. The body was very thin as well, so the mouthfeel was at odds with what my eyes and nose were reporting.
Liam_snorkel said:
Final Gravity was 1.024
I actually enjoyed it but agree with the watery nature, however I fully expected it being 2%ABV.

I would have picked FG to be under 1010 BTW.

Back