2016 QLD Xmas Case Swap (Tasting Thread)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evoo4u said:
6. Earle - Choc Wheat IPA (Drink NOW)

10. Benken25 - American farmhouse with mulberry and chilli (Drink NOW)

22. madpierre06 - Hopp-a-long Saison (Drink NOW)

Short and simple (as I can't do flavour descriptions) - less is more!

Earle, your IPA was beautifully understated. Some IPAs confront you with (to me) hoppiness-in-excess, but I really enjoyed yours, with just the right balance of hops and the wheat combining to make a lingering afternoon brew to savour.

Benken25, I had this one tonight pre-dinner. The hint of chilli was superb, with a just-detectable warmth coming through when I stopped sipping for awhile. Couldn't detect any mulberry, but then, as I said, I'm useless as TOAB in picking up nuances. A very nice beer, and I have another one waiting!

MP - Again, a beautiful brew with no "excess attitude". I think (no, I KNOW) you inadvertently left a few on the bench up here on the weekend, and rather than risk shaking them up in getting them back to you, I decided to do the next best thing, and drink 'em. Very nice on a hot afternoon, like today.

TOAB - Tits on a Bull

Cheers mate, and props for keeping quality considerations a priority.

About to clock off on the last day of the year for me, might smash a few of these down this afternoon.

Any recommendations?

24. tazman1967 "Scorched Earth" Smoked Saison (Drink NOW)

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1482393250.331471.jpg

Smoky, spicy, funky - all in a good way. A surprising amount of malt for this kind of beer without seeming under attenuated.

I'm not sure the funkiness is anything more than the combo of smoke and saison yeast character but it drinks funky.

Nice beer for a Xmas eve eve eve!

-edit- it's a Belgian saison yeast - funkiness explained :)

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1482393847.333523.jpg

Pierre - no offence, but this is certainly one of the best beers of yours I've had (coffee Stout excluded).

It's just a lovely beer. Spicy and lovely, sweet, clean malt. Not sure how hoppy it was supposed to be but it's well balanced and not in the foreground at all.

Top brewing mate :)

pcqypcqy said:
About to clock off on the last day of the year for me, might smash a few of these down this afternoon.

Any recommendations?
There is a dodgy porter in there somewhere

BenKen25 said:
There is a dodgy porter in there somewhere
Probably Peege's

Ended up having Ben's mulberry chilli saison, which is ******* great.

Now drinking Earle's choc wheat IPA. It's good, but could probably use some more choc wheat, and maybe some smoke :) seriously though , surprisingly refreshing in the warm weather.

The best part is the missus is getting a bit drunk now so it's looking like a good night for me :)

pcqypcqy said:
Probably Peege's

Ended up having Ben's mulberry chilli saison, which is ******* great.

Now drinking Earle's choc wheat IPA. It's good, but could probably use some more choc wheat, and maybe some smoke :) seriously though , surprisingly refreshing in the warm weather.

The best part is the missus is getting a bit drunk now so it's looking like a good night for me :)
Any more choc wheat and it would be a choc wheat smash. Might have o work on that for the next swap. :beer:

Parks said:

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1482393847.333523.jpg

Pierre - no offence, but this is certainly one of the best beers of yours I've had (coffee Stout excluded).

It's just a lovely beer. Spicy and lovely, sweet, clean malt. Not sure how hoppy it was supposed to be but it's well balanced and not in the foreground at all.

Top brewing mate :)
Cheers mate, much appreciated. Just some old thing I chucked together :lol: Schedule - IBU's = 35.9, ABV = 6.1% , F.G. was scheduled for 1.016, ended up 1.008.

Giatuprs & and I are currently imbibing in:
22. madpierre06 - Hopp-a-long Saison

Smells/tastes/looks a DuPont knockoff plus citra. You nailed it mate this is great.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1482399100.825653.jpg

7. Luggy - Oatmeal Stout, bottled 9th December, had a test bottle last night and it was tasting good so drink whenever

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1482400195.928796.jpg

Out of ~200 batches of beer I've probably brewed at least 40 "black beers".

This is as good or better than every one of them.

Considering you placed at nationals with the same recipe but a different batch I can only conclude you are a stout lord and I would like to find your place of worship.

-EDIT-
FYI the technical judging terminology for what I wrote is "to style".

24. tazman1967 "Scorched Earth" Smoked Saison

Dank musky smokey phenolic yeast thingo with some malt sweetness and more lingering miscellaneous smoke. Did I mention smoke?

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1482401730.286097.jpg

Parks said:
7. Luggy - Oatmeal Stout, bottled 9th December, had a test bottle last night and it was tasting good so drink whenever

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1482400195.928796.jpg

Out of ~200 batches of beer I've probably brewed at least 40 "black beers".

This is as good or better than every one of them.

Considering you placed at nationals with the same recipe but a different batch I can only conclude you are a stout lord and I would like to find your place of worship.

-EDIT-
FYI the technical judging terminology for what I wrote is "to style".
Bloody hell, give Parks a good stout and he's yours. Find your place of worship - snigger snigger :ph34r:

Had evoo4u's julebyrg last light. The aroma didn't give much away but had an amazing almost gingerbread like flavour. Great beer

BenKen25 said:
Had evoo4u's julebyrg last light. The aroma didn't give much away but had an amazing almost gingerbread like flavour. Great beer
Do you reckon you might get more aroma if left to warm up a bit?

This was an interesting exercise for me. I made one last year (from Cooper's extracts and steeping grains) and used a fair amount of the spices, and it had a very pronounced "Christmas pudding and brandy sauce" like affinity. ie - it was a very complementary brew to have with that.

This year, continuing my efforts to adhere to the "less is more" theme, I cut back a bit on the spices, and did it "all grain". As a result, it's maybe "more subtle", but I haven't actually tried it slightly warmer. I still have one in captivity, so I'll try that. Thanks for the hint Earle.

Cheers!

Re #1 - Julebryg: Just referring to the notes, I used only Brooklyn hops (17%) to 22.5 IBU according to Beersmith, and no-chilled, so maybe a bit more.

13. evoo4u - APA

Pours a beautiful dark golden colour. Good hop aroma. Solid broad bitterness and a good malt backbone to support. Good one. I can't decide if it's just in my mind or whether it might benefit from a slightly drier finish - either a slightly lower mash or more attenuative yeast - as I said could just be in my mind. Enjoyable beer nonetheless. :beer:

1. evoo4u - Julebryg

Gingerbread on the nose. The carbonation really helps with the spice flavour. Looking forward to seeing how it develops as it warms.

15682395_10155953767484815_1922312285_o.jpg

Latest posts

Back