2016 QLD Xmas Case Swap (Tasting Thread)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
giatuprs said:
Confirming #16 is defs ready. I'm happy with it but keen to hear feedback!
Wife and I had it last night. I had some at the swap, wasn't sure about my taste buds given how they were treated that afternoon, but we both quite enjoyed it yesterday. I'm shit with tasting notes so don't take this the wrong way, but it had an appealing 'feral' character to it. A good adult beer, not like the lolly water most APA's/IPA's at the moment. And you can't beat a partial Simpsons reference.

Liam_snorkel said:
17. pcqypcqy - Robust Porter

Black with a tan head, good lacing. Aroma is dark chocolate with some roast. Mouthfeel is smooth and full, slightly sweet. Finishes with a light bitter roast. Very nice dessert beer [emoji108]
what's the ABV?

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1482230976.087694.jpg
Damn, now you've got me. Would have to check but I'm going to guess maybe 6%? It's written down at home.

Started getting sleepy by the end of the bottle so 6% + wouldn't be surprising

1. evoo4u - Julebryg (Drink NOW)
2. Aydos - Galaxy Pale ale - Bottled 16/12 so leave it until at least 30th. It will be ready for new years!
3. Liam_Snorkel - Impish Stout - 2.0% ABV (Drink NOW)
4. Ballantyne - funktown pale ale - 5.4% abv fermented since 9 oct - (bottled 14th dec allow to carb)
5. madpierre06 - Funky Saison (Drink in 5 months or now - Orval dregs)
6. Earle - Choc Wheat IPA (Drink NOW)
7. Luggy - Oatmeal Stout, bottled 9th December, had a test bottle last night and it was tasting good so drink whenever
8. Davy - Rye Pale - (bottled 17th dec - allow to carb)
9. Peege - Ainsley Harriot milk stout - (drink now - pour carefully)
10. Benken25 - American farmhouse with mulberry and chilli (Drink NOW)
12. Beersuit - Belgian Blonde (allow to carb)
13. evoo4u - APA (Drink NOW)
14. Ciderman - Mulberry Sour (Drink NOW if bottle firm)
16. giatuprs - Rex Banner's Bannier Hammer XPA - upscaled version of Brewditos' Brett APA from that Bacchus thing (Drink NOW)
17. pcqypcqy - Robust Porter (Drink NOW)
18. Nickxb - Coconut Rum Porter (Drink NOW)
21. Peege - Grvm RIPA - Red IPA (wait 2 weeks to carb)
22. madpierre06 - Hopp-a-long Saison (Drink NOW)
23. Parks - 7.2% Black IPA (Drink NOW)
24. tazman1967 "Scorched Earth" Smoked Saison (Drink NOW)

Tazzie's is also ready.

Liam_snorkel said:
Started getting sleepy by the end of the bottle so 6% + wouldn't be surprising
1062 to 1014 is ringing a bell.

6. Earles choc wheat ipa. Nice mix of citrus and chocolate on the nose. Thick tan head with good lacing. Good wack of bitterness. Great beer mate and it shows all beers need choc wheat

Earle's #6 Choc Wheat IPA.

Another I wasn't sure about the combo but was pleased to be proven wrong.

It's a summer black beer! Highish carb and sharp but not bitter hop character. Somehow simple, in the best possible way. If I could go to the bottleo and buy a slab of this I would. Tastes like you've done this before because there's much more balance than YOLO.

14. Ciderman - Mulberry Sour

Pours with a small white fizzy head that dissipates quickly. Great mulberry colour. Fruity mulberry and sour on the nose, taste is a nice balance of sourness and dank mulberry. There is a ever so slight funk in the aftertaste but If it is brett it's on the low side. Great beer for me. I really like the fruit based beers that you come out with.

med_gallery_7015_1311_527588.jpg

giatuprs said:
Earle's #6 Choc Wheat IPA.

Another I wasn't sure about the combo but was pleased to be proven wrong.

It's a summer black beer! Highish carb and sharp but not bitter hop character. Somehow simple, in the best possible way. If I could go to the bottleo and buy a slab of this I would. Tastes like you've done this before because there's much more balance than YOLO.
Glad you enjoyed it. I have brewed it once previously but this was exactly the same recipe. All Toowoomba brewers need to know that choc wheat makes everything better. Ha ha. I don't get what you mean by YOLO though?

23. Parks - 7.2% Black IPA

Black with clear deep red highlights and a bone white head that won't quit. Hops & roast on the nose, then that plus some caramel sweetness, well attenuated with a not-too-outrageous bitterness to finish. Gimme more.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1482314893.220088.jpg

Googled it but dont get it in the context above.

13. evoo4u - APA

Pours slightly hazy golden/amber with a rocky meringue-like head that lasted all the way down the glass. Aroma is juicy orangey with maybe some spice, tastes clean, not a lot of identity to the malt but it supports the hops nicely. Whatever you're doing with your mash schedule keep doing it because this is some stable foam. Cheers Roger!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1482320031.055593.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1482320042.495062.jpg

Yeah - nothing too fancy there. Just a run-of-the-mill brew that turned out OK. I might get more adventurous in swaps to come...

6. Earle - Choc Wheat IPA (Drink NOW)

10. Benken25 - American farmhouse with mulberry and chilli (Drink NOW)

22. madpierre06 - Hopp-a-long Saison (Drink NOW)

Short and simple (as I can't do flavour descriptions) - less is more!

Earle, your IPA was beautifully understated. Some IPAs confront you with (to me) hoppiness-in-excess, but I really enjoyed yours, with just the right balance of hops and the wheat combining to make a lingering afternoon brew to savour.

Benken25, I had this one tonight pre-dinner. The hint of chilli was superb, with a just-detectable warmth coming through when I stopped sipping for awhile. Couldn't detect any mulberry, but then, as I said, I'm useless as TOAB in picking up nuances. A very nice beer, and I have another one waiting!

MP - Again, a beautiful brew with no "excess attitude". I think (no, I KNOW) you inadvertently left a few on the bench up here on the weekend, and rather than risk shaking them up in getting them back to you, I decided to do the next best thing, and drink 'em. Very nice on a hot afternoon, like today.

TOAB - Tits on a Bull

Latest posts

Back