Vic Xmas In July 2008 Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
18. Mark_M - Amarillo / Motueka APA

Great citrus hop aroma with a slight malt sweetness coming through, most probably from the munich, as it warms up.

Flavour more of the same with enough bitterness to give a pleasant dry finish.

No mistaking this one as an APA.

Very clean and balanced.

Interesting to try the Motueka in there. Definitely would not have picked it for a Saaz like flavour.

Great job Mark.

I really enjoyed this one as well Mark, just my kind of regular easy drinker!
Cheers for the beer
Q

10. Haysie- Oatmeal Stout

Black, with a reddy-brown head. lowish carbonation, but enough for the beer. Aroma was quite roasty, with some coffee and sweet biscuit or caramel? Tastes quite roasty, with coffee and a drying charcoal-like fairly bitter finish. Its feels fairly smooth on the tongue. It doesn't seem too high in alcohol.

Thanks for the beer. It smelt beautiful and was fairly easy drinking. Its a good beer to be drinking in Melbourne at the moment.

cheers, Andrei

Hello All,

Next is 2. Fent's US Lager - dark gold in colour, carbonation medium/low and head didn't last very long (probably due to my glass). Aroma of
the Saaz B hops with a little bit of sulphur which is quite acceptable for a lager. Taste is medium/low malty with medium/high hop flavour
and medium bitterness. As has been echoed on this thread it's much too good to be called a US Lager. Well done Fents. Maybe you can call
it an Aussie/NZ Lager next time?!

Until next tasting.

Cheers

Superhero

right first cab of the rank for me, dont know why its taken so long for a tasting (maybe had somthing to do with all the beer you guys left here from swap day) but anyways here goes..

Voota / Big Q's coffee stout.

I got the one with 22 on the lid on a white sticker...nicely carb'd. smells like stout. tastes like stout with coffee in it....basically does what its says on the box... nice job, if i drank stouts this would be close for me. i give it 7 outta 10 on the spliffo'meter.

Hutchys Bitter

Sorry mate i'd be shit in the UK. cant drink flat warm beer. i gave it my best shot though cause im a soldier. like the malt profile though and gettig this weird lingering sharp aftertaste (its not the bitterness im reffering to its somthing else i dont know what)

Andreics dry irish stout

nice beer again. dry and can see why they call it irish, sort of has a hint of an irish cream or whiskey to it imo. well done.

19. Alvin Ng - Saaz B/Glacier APA

As already mentioned had same issue as everyone else. Slightly acetic with very phenolic medical flavour.

On the plus side was very clear and looked really good.

20. mortz - Munich Dunkel

Nice bready, caramel, malt sweetness in the aroma. Some slight fruity esters.

Fairly high carbonation, persistent off white head. Very clean

Flavour is more of the same, with more graininess coming through, slight bitterness to balance out the malt ( balance was towards sweetness ).

Slightly dry finish.

Low to medium body. Very smooth. Slight alcohol presence.

Top drop mortz

9. Barramundi - One Grain One Hop Ale

Medium carbonation, slight haze, golden colour. Aroma of hops and some malt.

Flavour is of hops and graininess of the malt comes out nicely. Some woodiness(?) from the hops in the aftertaste.

Low body, fairly dry finish.

Very nice beer, very drinkable and enjoyable.

13 cm2 well made beer smooth creamy dark nice head good carbonation maybe a touch to much bitterness for my liking but all in all really good thanks

18 mark m top job mark i really enjoy your hop combos i was looking foward to your beer & it diddnt disapoint

10. Haysie- Oatmeal Stout

A very pleasant stout, lots of nice roasty flavours in there, good bittering - a good beer. Only thing, it's a little thin in body for a stout, isn't it?

11 cummins - yup bad luck. i tried to drink it but couldnt.

13- Citymorgue2 - Pride of Porter (Honey Porter)

Wow. This certainly fronts up to you and belts you in the tastebuds. Roast - roast - roast - coffee and something a little out of the trend, a slight medicinal/appley kinda taste. It's hard to nail down because of the large amounts of roast, but there is something there. A bit much for me, but I'm not really a black beer type of guy.

7. Hairofthedog - Saaz Pilsner
nice drop! so clear, pale straw colour, great carb for style, clean and crisp. great hop taste through out the palate. a keg of this in summer would be dangerous. great Pils.

Sorry fellas that mine was so bad. I tried it out of the fermenter and it was not too bad (considering flat and warm) with a very slight hint of what is now a very intense off flavour. It has obviously intensified during carbonation.

On a positive note, just poured first of (galaxy/amarillo?) IIPA (brewed excitedly after swap day). Magnificent.

cummins. wasnt the worst infectred beer ive tasted. i managed a glass before i decided that i coulnt drink it. it happens

21. Superhero - Milk Stout

wow what a great beer. velvety smooth with a int of spice. full of flavour. great effort. definitly on next winters brew list.

10 haysie oatmeal stout like wardy said not a bad stout nice flavor just a bit light on body IMO

21 superhero milk stout i enjoyed it that much i just brewed a 50lt batch

Back