Vic Xmas Case Swap 2011: Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
was thinking the other day I might have to one of those beer judging thingy's (courses) so I can learn a bit more about the beers Im tasting these days... and my own of course..

:icon_cheers:
Send AndyD a pm... He's looking to start another group up in a few weeks. I just finished one and I can't recommend it enough. The BJCP exam is a little tough, but you don't necessarily have to sit.

Fents - English Pale Ale

I really enjoyed this one tonight mate, being a little cooler tonight, the clean malty flavours really hit the spot.

A really well balanced beer with enough bitterness to dry it out and great head retention throughout.

Another cracking beer - thanks!!

Brendo

12. Brendo - US Red

I had no trouble decanting my whole bottle into a jug, a bit overcarbed but settles down
after 10mins.
Pours into the glass with a big tight, off white head that settles to a finger and persists for the duration, clear deep red / amber.

Moderate citrus and pine on the nose, with nutty caramel malt in the background.

More citrus and resinous pine on the palate, great malt character in this one, more nutty
caramel, very smooth and creamy just above moderate body, balanced very well by assertive bitterness that lingers into
the finish.

Have been looking for something to brew for autumn, will definietly be brewing this one, big malty goodness with a decent hop kick, my kind of beer.

Look what I found in the back of the fridge, Manticles IPA No.16
Hops and malt have melded into one so to speak,slight esters on the nose, toffee and alcohol warmth in the mouth. Slight lingering bitterness that is soft but firm. Tastes well shy of 57 IBU, slides down well.
I've just mowed the lawns and I shouldn't drink this ale so quick, but hey, I might have an early night.
Love ya work Andrew. :beer:

Lets kick off your education with the fact that Munich is in Germany where they drink beer out of steins - not some pansy Guinness-esque glasses from Ireland. ;)
md1.jpg
md2.jpg

... but you're right, I think I need to retire my very un-scientific plastic sugar-measuring spoon, the carbonation could be upped a bit. :(
Education fact noted and applied.
IMG_0386.jpg
Malty sweet flavour that finishes medium to dry, low bitterness. Big malt aroma. Plenty of gas and very clear. Wolfy, I've had this type of ale before somewhere, very similar to something from Plantagenet Brewery from The Causeway in Albury/Wodonga (now gone the way of the Dodo)
:chug:

1. Wolfy - Munich Dunkel

Almost forgot i had this lucky last one stashed at the back of the fridge.

Reasonably clear brown colour, moderate off white head that slowly fades but hangs around.

Really pleasant big sweet malty aroma hints of light toast and caramel.

More sweet slightly toasty malt upon drinking, low carb and medium body, finishes clean with a very rounded subtle bitterness.

A real pleasure to finish up on. :icon_cheers:

I am finally getting to drink to drink the 2011 Xmas swap beers. Put them aside and forgot about them. I just had one(no. 18 on the lid) that was in a coopers plastic bottle. A stout. Frigin awesome. I don't know who brewed it but it is the best stout I have had (it aged nicely!). silky. Coffee. Delicious. Perfectly carbonated. Who brewed it?

Back