New Member: Ginger Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RazorRoy1

Reaction score
Hi Brewers,

New to brewing, but have been experimenting with Ginger Beer brews. Here is one im happy with, with few obvs for others who are keen to give it a try..

Recipe:
850g mature ginger
1/3 cup of lime juice
Zest of 2 lemons
3/4 of morgans ginger malt syrup
2 cinnemon sticks
750g caster sugar
Full pot water for wort (4L)
Yeast and Nutrient from Morgans Kit.

Low temp boil for about two hours. But I sinced realised this may not be best for Ginger Beer, advice from other brewers has been for quick boil, 10-15 mins to keep the oils/flavour.

Strained all solids, remaining liquid into fermenter.

Added 6 litres of water to ferment, total of 10L in fermenter. Tactic here was to not water down the ferment, was aiming for spicy finish and only have a 10L keg.

Average Ferm Temp: 25 degrees

Ferment for 20 day
OG: 1.020
FG: 1.000

Force Carb: 4 days at 20psi at 4 degrees (was keen to drink but I over carbonated, with heaps of head on pour, but a purge helped reduced the foam. Will definitely try 10-12 psi as advised and test frequently until just right. Approx 7 days.

Flavour: Soft ginger spice that builds over time to become mildly spicy, with a dry finish however still holds a little sweetness. The malt flavour is very noticable but not overpowering. A hint of citrus but could be increased in wort for people who want more sourness.

Overall a decent gingerbeer but will try without malt next brew.

Few Questions:
Does anyone recommend keeping all the solids in the fermenter until kegging? Would this increase ginger spice?

Has anyone been able to create a ginger beer that is super crisp? Simialr to a lager...

Wondering whether to create a super crisp GB, would there be anything avaiable like a clean/clear super concentrate ginger oil, with aim is create a clear crisp ginger beer.

I put my root ginger through a juicer; something I've not seen done in any of the many methods and recipes I've read. 750 g of ginger produced 450 ml of juice and by the look of the separated pulp I doubt there was anything left to extract. It's only been fermenting a couple of days so the outcome is a mystery but it does smell wonderful.

Few Questions:
Does anyone recommend keeping all the solids in the fermenter until kegging? Would this increase ginger spice?

Has anyone been able to create a ginger beer that is super crisp? Simialr to a lager...

Wondering whether to create a super crisp GB, would there be anything avaiable like a clean/clear super concentrate ginger oil, with aim is create a clear crisp ginger beer.
I did put the ginger fibre into a hop sock (so as not to block the tap when bottling) tied off at each end, and sock and contents did get a 10 min boil for sterilization before going into the fermenter for a few days. Then I began to worry and removed it. On the one hand, the fiber left after juicing looked like there'd be nothing left for yeast to extract so I don't think there was much to gain by adding it to the fermenter. On the other, it was probably too late to prevent any bad effects (infect being the only one I can think of).

Latest posts

Back