Vic Xmas Case Swap 2011: Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Obviously I'm now the only one drinking these.

#12: Brendo: US Red.

Obviously unhappy about being in te bottle, most of it climbed up and out when I opened it. Consequently I can't reall comment on the likely clarity but my glass is pretty hazy.

Big head that disappeared very quickly to nothing.

Nice hop aroma- citrus and pine with a dslight woodiness. Background of nutty malt.
Carb surprisingly low - must have all jumped out at me at the beginning.

Flavour is as aroma - nutty, piney with a hint of citrus, lingering but smooth bitterness, hint of sweet.

Beautiful tasting beer. Presentation 0 but beer flavour itself can't be faulted. Really tasty.

Cheers
I just thought I'd fill in the blanks on Manticles experience, if I may?
Mine attempted to escape also but it was slowly decanted into a jug. I had to leave a good 25mm+ in the bottle as the over carbonation stirred up the sediment.
Poured very clear and overcarbed but leave it for 5 minutes in the glass and it looks the goods. Great clarity, beautiful dark ruby colour.
Manticle has captured the flavour/aroma but I must comment on how creamy smooth this ale is, a pleasure to drink. I haven't checked the recipe thread yet but this is a must do.
Another great beer in probably the best case swap I've participated in to date.
Well done Brendo!

I just thought I'd fill in the blanks on Manticles experience, if I may?
Mine attempted to escape also but it was slowly decanted into a jug. I had to leave a good 25mm+ in the bottle as the over carbonation stirred up the sediment.
Poured very clear and overcarbed but leave it for 5 minutes in the glass and it looks the goods. Great clarity, beautiful dark ruby colour.
Manticle has captured the flavour/aroma but I must comment on how creamy smooth this ale is, a pleasure to drink. I haven't checked the recipe thread yet but this is a must do.
Another great beer in probably the best case swap I've participated in to date.
Well done Brendo!

Thanks Razz and Manticle - glad you both liked the beer, despite the carbing issues :rolleyes:

The recipe is in the thread, but essentially it is the grainbill I use for my Irish Red but with US hops and yeast. The Irish variation is really creamy too and it is one of my fav recipes.

Gotta get some of these beers into the fridge and get cracking on them.

Cheers,

Brendo

#1: Wolfy: Munich Dunkel

Pours very clear brown, off white head that slowly dissipates, low retention.

Aroma of carob, toast, caramel.

Low carb (fine for my preference but in line with a UK).

Mouthfeel moderate.

Flavour of caramel, carob, light choc. Finishes sweet.

Nice enjoyable beer. Could probably finish a touch drier - whether the low carb level is contributing, I'm not sure. Also I get a vague sense of carbonate water..............

I am joking. Cheers for the beer wolfy.

My crate is looking close to empty.

18. Don Mateo - Weizen

Cloudy straw colour, very large white mousse head that hangs around, lots of lace.

Delicate aroma, sweet, with hints of spice and lemon.

Slighty grainy malt, peppery spice with hints of lemon, rolls into some brief sweetness
followed by a refreshingly tart finish. Bit of banana in aftertaste.

Low to moderate body and high carbonation.

I have not been a fan of weizen, but for me this is something else, great thrirst quenching and
refreshing beer, i would be interested to see the recipe / yeast strain.

Cheers

14. Edit: Beer4U - ESB
Gold in colour. excellent clarity. decent head, although falls quickly

Lots of sweet caramel notes alongside some soft fruity/floral hops in the aroma. Getting some light toasty notes too.

Body is moderate, plenty of carbonation. Maybe a touch too high.

Getting plenty of nutty/toasty characters in the malt. Again, some more soft hop flavours. I think the balance is spot on.

This is a superbly made beer. I can't find any fermentation faults and I am really enjoying this. I deliberately didn't check to see who's this was so as not to bias or preconceive any ideas as to what it was supposed to be.

Good stuff!

Edit: Thanks Beer4U!

14. Edit: Beer4U - ESB
Gold in colour. excellent clarity. decent head, although falls quickly

Lots of sweet caramel notes alongside some soft fruity/floral hops in the aroma. Getting some light toasty notes too.

Body is moderate, plenty of carbonation. Maybe a touch too high.

Getting plenty of nutty/toasty characters in the malt. Again, some more soft hop flavours. I think the balance is spot on.

This is a superbly made beer. I can't find any fermentation faults and I am really enjoying this. I deliberately didn't check to see who's this was so as not to bias or preconceive any ideas as to what it was supposed to be.

Good stuff!

Edit: Thanks Beer4U!

Thanks mate appreciate the feedback :icon_cheers:

13. Bullsneck - APA
Mate, I'm not going to spend too much time reviewing this, I just want to sit back and enjoy it

What can I say? Plenty of piney/citrus in aroma and flavour. Bitterness is firm, but not over the top. Plenty of bready malt character to round it out. Text book APA, brewed to perfection! Thanks! :kooi:

Cracking grain for today's brew, I noticed a 23 cap nearby. The exploding bottle really shattered with bits of glass about the shed floor and there is no 23 in my crate. All other beers either drunk or accounted for.

Caution might be handy with this beer.

23. Adolfo - IPA - Sorry mate had to tip it.

Was in the fridge since 5th JAN

Opened to a fairly loud pop , was quickly placed in the sink where it gushed for a good 20 min.

About half the bottle remained, was muddy and quite sour.

looks like you may have some sanitation issues.

Cheers

looks like you may have some sanitation issues.

I'd attribute that to bottle cleaning/sanitation, definitely something to do with post-fermentation handling as my one was perfectly fine.

I'd attribute that to bottle cleaning/sanitation, definitely something to do with post-fermentation handling as my one was perfectly fine.
That's exactly why I love kegging...

24. iamozziyob - APA

Clear golden with a slight haze. Persistent finger of tight white head, some lacing.

Moderate fruity aroma, melon / passion fruit and citrus, some malt sweetness.

More fruity hops on the palate, sweet slightly caramel malt, very well balanced by a smooth piney bitterness that goes the distance.
Moderate body and medium carbonation.

Mate this is very well balanced beer, everything is in harmony. I agree with Manticle 100% about you blurring the lines between kit and grain. If you had not told me i would not have picked in million years that you had used a kit as base for this beer, i would like to see any nay sayers pick it in blind tasting as well.
Look forward to trying your AG when you get your methods down pat.

cheers

24. iamozziyob - APA

Clear golden with a slight haze. Persistent finger of tight white head, some lacing.

Moderate fruity aroma, melon / passion fruit and citrus, some malt sweetness.

More fruity hops on the palate, sweet slightly caramel malt, very well balanced by a smooth piney bitterness that goes the distance.
Moderate body and medium carbonation.

Mate this is very well balanced beer, everything is in harmony. I agree with Manticle 100% about you blurring the lines between kit and grain. If you had not told me i would not have picked in million years that you had used a kit as base for this beer, i would like to see any nay sayers pick it in blind tasting as well.

cheers
I think this one might be next on my list...

I think this one might be next on my list...

Just poured the last bit from the jug and i am thinking this is quite LCPA ish, better hop flavour / aroma and much better head retention. :drinks:

8. Siborg Galaxy APA

One tasty beer mate - the galaxy flavour and aroma is great, plenty of it but a little more subtle than some galaxy beers I have had. Really nice balance with a firm bitterness.

Less typing, more drinking!!

Thanks for the beer :drinks:

Brendo

24. iamozziyob - APA
If you had not told me i would not have picked in million years that you had used a kit as base for this beer, i would like to see any nay sayers pick it in blind tasting as well.

:D there are a few people i wont mention who I hope read that mate :lol:

Looking forward to July... was just thinking today that my next AG I might set aside for July... Quite happy with a few that I have a decent recipe for now... 1 in particular just hits all the right spots for me.

Thanks for the comments mate :icon_drunk:

:icon_offtopic: where is the July one going to be?

Yob

where is the July one going to be?

I can confirm it wont be at my place. Im moving from a too small of a townhouse in Abbotsford this weekend to a lot larger townhouse in Thornbury but sacrificing a courtyard for a balcony. Such is life i suppose! :icon_cheers:

16. Manticle - English IPA

1.JPG

Its these sorts of beers that have my taste buds wondering if everything theyve held true for years holds any water at all.

Quite a complex beer for my uneducated palete, none-the-less quite moreish.

Pours clear from the fridge, as per the photo. Head drops quickly.

Lots of complex maltiness I cant even begin to describe (biscuity, roasty something something?) but very nicely ballenced with the slight lingering bitterness.

Very nice Beer Manticle, as always.

Yob

Cheers Yob.

No roast but the victory malt will give biscuit and toasty character.

was thinking the other day I might have to one of those beer judging thingy's (courses) so I can learn a bit more about the beers Im tasting these days... and my own of course..

:icon_cheers:

Back