Vic Xmas Case Swap 2011: Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Wolfy - Munich Dunkel

I preface this by saying, I know shite all about this style and dont think Ive ever drank one before..

1.JPG

Low carbonation, struggles to hold a head even in an etched Harp glass..

I do however love the ballence.. Im not sure how to describe this beer... hints of coffee? but liking it the more I get through the Pint

:super: :super: :super: :icon_cheers:

3.5 Bogans out of the mosh pit

Cheers Wolfy

ed: I hit the wrong button... add reply is NOT upload picture.. lol

I preface this by saying, I know shite all about this style and dont think Ive ever drank one before..

Low carbonation, struggles to hold a head even in an etched Harp glass..
Lets kick off your education with the fact that Munich is in Germany where they drink beer out of steins - not some pansy Guinness-esque glasses from Ireland. ;)
md1.jpg
md2.jpg

... but you're right, I think I need to retire my very un-scientific plastic sugar-measuring spoon, the carbonation could be upped a bit. :(

Thanks Beer4U

#13: Bullsneck: APA

Pours clear golden, big tight white head, much like a Scottish virgin meringue might give after visiting the dentist.

Head retained with lacing. Maybe that's the lingerie she left behind?

Aroma of sweet malt with a hint of fruity hops.

Carb moderate, mouthfeel and body also moderate. I'm really enjoying this spate of not overly fizzed beers.

Lingering bitterness, some fruit, some sweet malt. Good balance. Slight pineyness from something hoppy. Hint of alcohol in the finish.

Definitely my kind of APA with a decent malt backbone to balance the bitterness. You could move up with both to make a more AIPA type thing if desired - the base recipe is there to be tweaked to give a few styles/substyles.

Really tasty, worth a repeat. If you put galaxy in there, I now have tasted beer with galaxy that I don't reject on account of its galxy-ness.

Mine should have an 8 on it, but it may look like a B with my dodgy handwriting. They are in glass bottles exactly like these ones:

55663.jpg

I got a bottle like that with nothing on the lid. Will check and see if I have a number 8 but otherwise I'm drinking yours now.

Here's what I wrote

Pours clear golden, tight white head, some lacing.

Aroma of sweet malt and fruity hops.
Mouthfeel moderate, carb low body medium/full.

Flavour of bready, toasty malt with some fruit from the hops, some toffee, light lingering bitterness.

Really tasty satisfying beer. Cant fault it. Cheers

Wrapped my red ale in plastic. Hope I don't get a second bottle bomb. Would make me think the rook was right.

5. Charst

Deep brown with amber/brown highlights around the edge - looks clear.
Massive thick mousse like head that stayed for the duration.

Big fruity aroma, melon, passion fruit, citrus with hints if roast in the background.

Fruity hops upfront are very quickly dominated by coffee and roast, moderate bitterness that
lingers into a somewhat dry, roasty/chocolaty and fruity finish.
i am burping hops, somewhere around moderate carbonation and middle of the road in mouthfeel.

A very rich and fruity dark ale, the choc/roast and fruity hops flavours is interesting.

You said earlier in the thread to watch out for the plastic aftertaste if its too cool, it does get better as it warms.
I do get hints of acrid, maybe astringent flavour, hints of alcohols, going straight to the insanasmembranous.

Still very enjoyable , Cheers

18 - Don Mate0 - Weizen
Going down well as I watch the aussies batter the indians. Bit overcarbed, but after settling in the fridge im enjoying! Thanks

Sorry mate... most likely an individual bottle issue, it was certainly well and truly done and conservatively carbonated. I have a number of left over ones at home, so more than happy to supply you a replacement.

Cheers,

Brendo

Nay Bother.. Dont make a special trip mate, I havnt looked but may well have another as there were leftovers on the day, I'll have a look later and PM but I suspect there will be another one floating about.

:icon_cheers:

17 - Vitalstatistix - Saison
A bit overcarbed(plastic cap was bulging!) Nice and to my liking(except the carbonation level), Thanks

1 - Wolfy - Munich Dunkel
Drinking at room temp, I get a nice malty backbone and subtly bitterness. One of my favourites so far. Yum

3 - Wolfman - DSGA
Not as smooth as I would expect and quite a bit different to the DSGA attempt I had as my first AG, but quite enjoyable. Has a bit of what I would describe as a 'twang' type aftertaste that I used to get when doing extracts (sorry thats all I can relate the taste to). Not a bad drop but would be great without the 'twang' aftertaste. Great clarity and head with a subtle amarillo aroma.

Thanks for the review, Im assuming the astringency is a plastic bit of tubing from the hardware store I've now fked off. heres hoping

5. Charst

Deep brown with amber/brown highlights around the edge - looks clear.
Massive thick mousse like head that stayed for the duration.

Big fruity aroma, melon, passion fruit, citrus with hints if roast in the background.

Fruity hops upfront are very quickly dominated by coffee and roast, moderate bitterness that
lingers into a somewhat dry, roasty/chocolaty and fruity finish.
i am burping hops, somewhere around moderate carbonation and middle of the road in mouthfeel.

A very rich and fruity dark ale, the choc/roast and fruity hops flavours is interesting.

You said earlier in the thread to watch out for the plastic aftertaste if its too cool, it does get better as it warms.
I do get hints of acrid, maybe astringent flavour, hints of alcohols, going straight to the insanasmembranous.

Still very enjoyable , Cheers

12 - Brendo - US Red
A tad overcarbed.
Love the hoppy maltyness.
A nice beer, thank you.

#18: Don Mateo: weizen

Gushes out the top with a massive fizz when I open it.

Pours cloudy, white meringue head. Managed to get a bit into a paulaner stein and a bit into a holgate pint glass - both with loads of head that rapidly reduces.

Aroma slightly lemony.

Flavour is bready, quite nice and finishes slightly sweet. Not much banana or clove. Despite the gushing, the carb isn't crazy high.

13 - bullsneck - American Pale Ale
Has great aroma
Enjoying the hops in this
Just a bit more body

Latest posts

Back