NSW 2016 xmas case swap - tasting and recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
need to start on these. i am drinking my cherry wit on tap though. quite nice.

16 -Saison. Had this this evening had a slight horse blanket smell, did this have some Brett ? The flavour was fruity and I enjoyed, did not taste any Brett but thought I could smell it. Enjoyed not as dry as I have had in a saison before but nice beer.

skb said:
16 -Saison. Had this this evening had a slight horse blanket smell, did this have some Brett ? The flavour was fruity and I enjoyed, did not taste any Brett but thought I could smell it. Enjoyed not as dry as I have had in a saison before but nice beer.
Hey mate, no intentional brett, it was done with wlp566. Finished out at 1.004
I think most of the sweetness from this one comes from the yeast character as opposed to residual sugar.

Thanks for the comments

Have been a bit slack on these and have missed a few that I've enjoyed but tonight drinking beamers pale ale.

It's light and quite dry. There's a distinctive aroma that I can't quite place, my wife says pot but I'm not getting that. Maybe something like Jack fruit.

Definitely some citrus flavours, nicely balanced and easy drinking. Could easily smash a keg of this over summer!

Cheers!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1482998000.918233.jpg

Ok think I was lucky with #17 I lost a little to foaming over the top, but got a glass and a half out of the bottle (I chilled it down to 1c or so). So got to taste the stout. If it had an infection that caused the gushing I could not tell by the taste, I found it a really nice stout. Light toast and coffee notes, very slight alcohol burn (I like that) and some cocoa nib taste. If my previous tasting notes are anything to go by all of the above will be wrong, and I will never be able to be a beer judge. I liked this and a glass and a half was the right amount for me, but I would happily have a glass and a half on many days. I am just a light weight.

My only concern is I realised my RIS tastes nothing like this so I may have screwed up in a major way. My RIS is more like a barely wine !!

What is the wine bottle with the champagne cork ... my next try

If it's a champagne bottle with a plastic cork it is possibly my Brett saison. Send a picture and I can let you know for sure!

It is the Brett saison .... my new favourite !!! Tastes amazing. Not as dry as other saison I have had but a ton better. Love this beer can you post recipe. My wife who does not like beer (hates it basically) even said it was passable and had a second, third and fourth sip (trust me that is an amazing compliment).

Number 4 mattfos01 kolsch.

Not overly familiar with the style but this is absolutely crystal clear and incredibly pale in colour. Must be close to 100% Pilsner malt but still has a nice malty flavour. Really clean and crisp and is really hitting the spot on a hot summers evening. Could easily drink a keg of this one too!

Cheers

Skb, can't seem to find my notes for this one but from memory it was about 70% pils, 27% wheat and 3% acidulated.

OG 1.045
FG 1.003

Styrian goldings to about 25 IBU at 60 and 15

Wyeast brett saison blend at ambient temp for about 6 weeks until bottled.

Not precise but it is farmhouse brewing after all!

contrarian said:
Skb, can't seem to find my notes for this one but from memory it was about 70% pils, 27% wheat and 3% acidulated.

OG 1.045
FG 1.003

Styrian goldings to about 25 IBU at 60 and 15

Wyeast brett saison blend at ambient temp for about 6 weeks until bottled.

Not precise but it is farmhouse brewing after all!
best thing about not Precise is it is easy to follow :)

In my personal opinion a good saison is all about the yeast character. Lay a simple base and let the yeast shine. Choose a good one, manage it well and you will end up with a tasty beer!

Also tonight, number 1 barls cherry wit.

Cherry certainly comes through and shines over the base beer. Slightly tart and very easy drinking. Another cracker for a hot evening!

Cheers

contrarian said:
Also tonight, number 1 barls cherry wit.

Cherry certainly comes through and shines over the base beer. Slightly tart and very easy drinking. Another cracker for a hot evening!

Cheers
glad you enjoyed it. I'm drinking it myself

Sorry about the undercarbed beer, haven't bottled in quite a while and picked up the old lhbs sugar scoop and used dextrose instead of caster or raw. I think that is what must have caused it, sorry lesson learnt on my behalf.

I think the aroma you are both getting is from the equinox hops, some say it has a dank pot type smell others say green pepper, others say it screams tropical fruit like paw paw.

I hope there isn't any more under carbed ones.

Have enjoyed ever beer I have tried so far.

edit: spelling

15 Beamer Pale Ale- I cracked this tonight I was lucky and had a well carbed beer. Nice nose and enjoyed it. To be honest had as my third beer so my notes were crappy. I do remember that my friend and I enjoyed.... but that's it sorry.

Orange cap, fatz dark bitter.

This started out too cold but as it warms up the malt really shines through. A bit of roasty bitterness but not too much, actually quite light for a dark beer and very enjoyable.

Cheers mate

1-Barls Cherry Wit. Took this away to Narooma on holidays with me... sadly something clearly went wrong with the bottle seal. I clearly packed it poorly and it opened in the esky.... so I can say the nose was good, especially when beer absorbed in a loaf of bread and packet of biscuits ! Taste well no idea. .... not happy a waste of a Barls beer and a wife that was less then impressed

Barls
I picked up a 'bds half primed' as part of the side swap but can't remember what it is. Can you say, am sure it was one of yours

Latest posts

Back