2016 NSW Mid Year Case Swap - Tasting & Recipes thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had Matt's #15 Belgian Golden Strong

Nice and clear that pouted with a big head. Medium high carbonation.

Had that real Belgian sweet and spicy combo going on. Very dry which suited the weather. Had a fair bit of an alcoholic kick as well, wondering if it fermented at a higher temp?

Very enjoyable!

IMG_3579.JPG

#3 barls' dark dubbel

Pours very dark with a big tan head that dissipates.

Very malty aroma, flavours of stone fruits and bananas. Medium carb, medium body. Had that Belgian sweetness. Very smooth alcohol.

Cheers!

IMG_3580.JPG

In the fridge tonight are #21. 6 9 , 8.
#21--Peter80 - Hobgoblinish clone West Yorkshire 1469.
Fruit on the nose, and low malt, maybe a result of age. medium-thin body and medium carbonation. Malty taste with caramel and roast in balance, some balancing bitterness and low-moderate fruit. Easy to drink, and a lot easier than Hobgoblin. Some residual brewing salts on the palate. Holds and retains a moderate persistent head.

#9 welly2 - English Best Bitter - Huge fizzy but rocky, persistent head. Huge caramel, malty, stone-fruity roasty-toasty, toffee-coffee aroma. First taste, too dry and papery-dry. Nothing but stale hop or oxidative astringency.
Shame, as the aroma held a lot of promise. Could not drink. Sorry. Should have consumed fresher.

#8 - DJR Kölsch - Great appearance/ clarity, strong rocky head and super lacing. Lemon aroma and flavour. Finishes a little sweet, but with balanced bitterness.
Stupid me served it a bit warm, but I could tell this was a nice beer, balanced and to style.
I liked it a lot, and if I had a negative it's that it was too clean. I am used to a slightly winey Kölsch brewed with Wyeast W2565, but I believe that I could get used to this one. I saved the yeast...

Reman #7 Rye Bock - Been lurking in the bottom of my keezer waiting for the cooler weather to kick in. Pours a deep amber, light head dissipates to a thin but persistent ring. Clean aroma: vanilla, light coffee, Dutch cocoa. Flavours reflect aroma but drying spice balances beer. Mouthfeel starts rich but finishes dry. Fantastic drinkable cool weather beer, balanced attenuation. Yum

waggastew said:
Reman #7 Rye Bock - Been lurking in the bottom of my keezer waiting for the cooler weather to kick in. Pours a deep amber, light head dissipates to a thin but persistent ring. Clean aroma: vanilla, light coffee, Dutch cocoa. Flavours reflect aroma but drying spice balances beer. Mouthfeel starts rich but finishes dry. Fantastic drinkable cool weather beer, balanced attenuation. Yum
Glad to hear it's holding up well even after 9 months.

Back