2016 NSW Mid Year Case Swap - Tasting & Recipes thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just quickly, cracked my #7 Rye Bock tonight. Doesn't appear to have changed at all if that helps anyone.

Just a heads up. Not sure if I missed an earlier warning or mine is exceptional but I just had #23 N28's Oaked Baltic Porter go rogue on me. Was stored warm so might be worth fridging or drinking ASAP.

Shame, it smelt good too

View attachment 92871

Not sure what happened to your bottle, haven't had any problems with the stuff I have left.
Sorry to hear it, it is a good drop, hopefully it's just a rogue bottle.

Yeah, no dramas at all. Was looking forward to it, I love to see what oak brings.

That one never got oaked like it was meant to, ran out of time and decided to spend the time lagering it is oaking.

What happened out of curiosity?
Blown bottle? Would be my first if it is.

Don't sweat it, could be a few things.

Went boom. I was out and my wife said it was the full bang/crash etc. Must be over carbed or bottle had a glass fault. Maybe the latter given your others are cool.

Upside is she wants all glass bottles drunk ASAP. Mostly high ABV's left so going to be a pissy few days

If you are coming to the xmas case swap, I can swing you a stubbie (only have 3 stubbies left of this brew) so you can atleast have a taste.
Sorry for the mess :(

Possibly the best strong stout I have ever had, no bullshit. So many stouts are too roasty, too thin. It's not a session beer, but it's also not cloying or over the top like the ones at the RIS end

Crikey, my head will swell if I keep getting such gushing praise .......

Glad I fluked another one. Several years ago, I couldn't make a decent stout to save my life. Decided to brew heaps of them, as they really are quite simple (and lucky I like drinking them). Best secrets are to use a decent yeast, (this one had Wyeast German Ale), add wheat and oats to the mash for body and head, leave in fermenter for at least 3 weeks (mostly cos I forget) and allow a bit of time after bottling for the flavours to meld. If all done well, don't over carbonate .. one Cooper's lolly per bottle. My last few stouts have all come out good by all comments.

Ready to get into the IPA game (can't brew one to save my life .....)

n87 said:
If you are coming to the xmas case swap, I can swing you a stubbie (only have 3 stubbies left of this brew) so you can atleast have a taste.
Sorry for the mess :(
Thanks for the kind offer but I won't be at the Xmas Swap. I am still going through the last swap (5 bottles to go!) and it might not be a politically wise move to bring in another 24 glass bottles. I will maybe wait till next year and see if SWMBO forgets!

waggastew said:
Thanks for the kind offer but I won't be at the Xmas Swap. I am still going through the last swap (5 bottles to go!) and it might not be a politically wise move to bring in another 24 glass bottles. I will maybe wait till next year and see if SWMBO forgets!
She will not forget. Better to address her issue now, confront her fears and all that sort of stuff.

Maybe I will drink to forget then........

#3 Barl's Dubbel verging on Dark Strong

Pours a deep brown with red highlights. Thick creamy tan head that sticks around. Aroma is clean vanilla, raisin, subtle chocolate with a background of perfumey alcohol. Prickly carbonation gives way to caramel, light roast, more cocoa and rich mouthfeel. Nice dry finish to balance and cleanup sweetness and avoid cloying.

Very easy to drink but definitely at the stronger end for the style. Could easily take some more age as it has great bones. A big beer that would be perfect for sharing on a cool night like it is here on the Mid-North Coast of NSW.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1479200835.364442.jpg

waggastew said:
#21 Peter80's English Brown Ale

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1472294997.198982.jpg

Not too familiar with this style but I thought I would compare this beer to the 2008 style guidelines for Southern Brown.

Aroma check, appearance check, flavour check, mouthfeel check, overall impression check!

Just missing Peter80's name in commercial examples!

Lucky me scored two of these beauties. Very good beer. Would catch a bus across town to drink this beer. Got anymore in the shed?

waggastew said:
Maybe I will drink to forget then........

#3 Barl's Dubbel verging on Dark Strong

Pours a deep brown with red highlights. Thick creamy tan head that sticks around. Aroma is clean vanilla, raisin, subtle chocolate with a background of perfumey alcohol. Prickly carbonation gives way to caramel, light roast, more cocoa and rich mouthfeel. Nice dry finish to balance and cleanup sweetness and avoid cloying.

Very easy to drink but definitely at the stronger end for the style. Could easily take some more age as it has great bones. A big beer that would be perfect for sharing on a cool night like it is here on the Mid-North Coast of NSW.

Twas a cool night last night here on the real south coast, and Barl's beer was just perfect.

That and a few other dubbels /tripels in the cellar made today a slow day.

But worth it. Great stuff Barls. Got another one in the shed?

not of that batch but the other half of it i do.

#8 DJR's Kolsch

Been drinking a few kolsch's lately, mainly 4 Pines Kolsch which I'm a fan of. This is far better.

IMG_20161130_195703.jpg

Head was persistent and is still there several minutes after pouring. Can't see it dissipating any time soon. Carbonation is spot on for the style and gives a great tingly mouthfeel.

Moderately cloudy/hazy which seems appropriate to style - Wikipedia reports of the Wiess style Kolsch. Perhaps DJR has kicked off a resurgence? Colour is almost exactly arylide yellow.

Hoppy, but obviously not IPA (or even close) hoppy. European lager hoppy plus a bit more. Slightly sweet up front, dry at the end - again, spot on to style. Subtle yeast funkiness/fruitiness. Has some very soft clove or aniseed notes. I'm enjoying this a lot. In fact, I'm hoping the recipe is somewhere because I'm going to make it myself.

A belter, DJR!

IMG_20161203_162356.jpg

#23 n87's oaked baltic porter

In totally an inappropriate glass and but probably paired with inappropriate food (BBQed pork loins) but as the kids say "whatevs". This is a really tasty beer. Not sure what the percentage is but it drinks well and easily and doesn't taste hot, assuming for a baltic porter it's going to be up there (8-9%?). I'm not getting loads of oak from it - more subtle oak flavours but it's definitely there and that suits me because who wants their beer tasting like wood? Not I. Carbonation seems to be about right for the style and it's nice and dark as you'd expect. Really well balanced - a touch of sweetness with the bitterness to back it up. Another really well made beer. Cracking!

Glad you enjoyed it mate, the oak never happened, which would explain the lack of it.
From memory it ended up just shy of 8%

n87 said:
Glad you enjoyed it mate, the oak never happened, which would explain the lack of it.
From memory it ended up just shy of 8%
That'll be it then. The oaky notes may well have been coming from my burnt pork loins.

welly2 said:
18. Clayton's no description beer. Immediately I'm getting pineapple and mandarin aromas. Moderate hop bitterness, actually balanced extremely well. Citrus continues on the palate. Golden and light amber colour. This is a beauty. I really like it and one I could drink all night if it wasn't perhaps high 6% ABV at a stab? Perfect beer to accompany me throughout my brew day. A belter of a beer.
I just found another bottle of this in the few remaining mid year case swap bottles I have left. This week, all I've been drinking have been crap Japanese lagers (Sapporo and the like) and porters/stouts so it's refreshing to enjoy a few hops! And this has them alright. Still enjoying it.

Latest posts

Back